The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hackers Use Little Stickers To Trick Tesla Autopilot Into The Wrong Lane

CBH1926

While it does poses a security risks, IMO it's not that different from a bunch a little brats going on the streets and removing streets signs (stop signs, yields, etc) or misplacing them in order to confuse human drivers.  Locals wouldn't probably be fooled but unfamiliar drivers in the area might.

This is also pretty much the first generation of autopilot cars, they will be a lots of kink and issues to solve before it's near anything perfect.  Heck, plane autopilot aren't perfect either.  Autopilot in planes have been around for a long time, yet after every crash the aviation authorities rewrite the rule book and find flaws in the system, either it is, mechanical, technological or human faults.    The same process will happen with cars.

"hackers" need to physically put a sticker out to make that happen....and so we just need to make the punishment for doing that around 12 years in jail....or 20 for attempted murder? and then I suspect most "hackers" who would need to physically put out a sticker simply won't do that anymore. 

6 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Technology and AI will never turn on us if it runs on Windows; that's for god damn sure. 

Of course it'll be Unix and run like a well oiled machine as it exterminates humanity. 

Computers are like air conditioning.

They work great until you open windows!

By the way, let me ask this:

Is this that much different than a human being accidentally driving the wrong way down a one way street? We focus on what the AI is doing now as it's a hot topic, but how many bad drivers are out there as is who probably drive far worse than an AI.

The problem really comes down to the fear of a "lack of control" on our part. It's an unknown for a lot of people what an AI will do in certain situations that would otherwise be harmless (ie. when stopped at intersections and the wrong signal is sent to make the AI go forwards or something).

That being said, I am of the mindset that I think it's perhaps a little too early for this technology to be feasible to entirely take over a vehicle. That being said, if everyone had AI vehicles in the future, there would ideally be less accidents, hit and runs would be less of a thing, and traffic jams would happen far less if at all.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

By the way, let me ask this:

Is this that much different than a human being accidentally driving the wrong way down a one way street? We focus on what the AI is doing now as it's a hot topic, but how many bad drivers are out there as is who probably drive far worse than an AI.

The problem really comes down to the fear of a "lack of control" on our part. It's an unknown for a lot of people what an AI will do in certain situations that would otherwise be harmless (ie. when stopped at intersections and the wrong signal is sent to make the AI go forwards or something).

That being said, I am of the mindset that I think it's perhaps a little too early for this technology to be feasible to entirely take over a vehicle. That being said, if everyone had AI vehicles in the future, there would ideally be less accidents, hit and runs would be less of a thing, and traffic jams would happen far less if at all.

There's alot of bases to cover though. Now I admit I'm not familiar with how this AI works, but if stickers can throw it off then how are weather conditions going to affect the detection of these vehicles. 

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

There's alot of bases to cover though. Now I admit I'm not familiar with how this AI works, but it if uses stickers can throw it off then how are weather conditions going to affect that. 

Well, that depends on the weather. Raining conditions might actually make it easier for the AI to see the road as there would be less light coming at it.

Snow on the other hand could really throw the AI for a loop at this point as there tends to be significantly more light and the road is usually covered by snow. I have a hard time seeing AI controlled vehicles being feasible during a Canadian winter, especially in cases where there is fresh snow and no tracks at all to be able to distinguish between road and off-road.

That being said, I think there's a system in Sweden they are experimenting with where there are sensors in the road to tell the vehicles where the actual road is. I can only imagine how expensive that would be for us though given the distance from city to city here.

21 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Tinfoil crowd was right, one day all this technology will turn on us.

Maximum overdrive comes to mind and skynet.

Hackers Use Little Stickers To Trick Tesla Autopilot Into The Wrong Lane

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2019/04/01/hackers-use-little-stickers-to-trick-tesla-autopilot-into-the-wrong-lane/#4943533b7c18

Oh the delicious irony...

Technology didn't 'turn on us'...humans used technology and turned on each other.

If a monkey picks up a hammer and smacks another monkey, is it the fault of the hammer?

Archived