The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators | Apr. 04, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

On 4/4/2019 at 8:50 PM, Darius said:

Yup .. these past three games I just wanted to see the kids get closer to 30 goals each.  Looks like a reach now.  Picking ahead of the coil and quacks would be a bonus though 

They are 9th for the lottery, but will be moving up 8 spots after the lottery

On 4/4/2019 at 9:14 PM, cory40 said:

This might be the best post I have seen this year> it is so close to the truth I had a good laugh. Many fans don't remember game 7 in 1994 against the rangers. The refs pulled out the biggest blown game ever, Pat Quinn was fined for his comments after the game and he also tried to have the officiating team changed prior to the game because he thought they could not be fair. I remember it like it was yesterday. All aside the Canucks almost came back to tie it late. But the 3 straight penalties hurt them bad. Its always funny how the league puts the whistles away or pulls them out to suite their needs.

Yup...NYR had the best PP that year...4 penalties in a row, if you count the coincidental that should have been only a NYR penalty...

...same feeling about living that moment...it was blatant 

On 4/5/2019 at 2:06 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Rafferty looking overwhelmed at times, wth is Erickson doing on the 1st line when Lievo plays with way more jump and tenacity, Schaller? just why? He's playing for a contract and desperate. Bulldog for whatever reason gets sat on his birthday, Green seems to go out of his way to insult the fans by icing the least competitive players. Biega would have been killer on the 4th line. 

yup...blame Goldy for not playing

On 4/5/2019 at 2:44 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Missed this game(some morning lessons), but in truth, just fine with the outcome. Read yesterday that the #9 slot(I believe) is the most likely to remain..that is, not slide back more with the lotto.

So I guess either we luck-out with an unlikely top-3, but SHOULD remain top-10. I trust JB & the boys to unearth more gems from where we're sitting. Not half bad for a young team that's already shown significant progress.

Yeah..last time they picked 9th...Gillis picked the future captain

23 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hughes wasn’t necessarily the BPA according to some lists, so no that doesn’t s$&t.  And we all know EP was closer to 10 than five on most lists too so what the heck does this even mean?  The support players are still in the pool mostly with the exception of possibly OJ, Madden and Woo I will give you that, this years first yet to be determined.  

Will it be enough?  Who knows but it’s a little early yet to be doing this.  Geeze I mean two of his first rounders joined this year and look to be the real deal,  that’s what matters more than anything.  You’ve just listed 3/4ers of a core with Horvat added BTW.!    CHI had Keith, Toews, Kane, Crawford and Seabrook.

We have EP, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes and Demko.  If OJ works out he could be Seabrook.  And then add Madden, Woo, Gaudette, JV, oh why am I even bothering.

and Lind, who will be a Pearson 2.0

That continuous motion call was messed-up.

Some teams can pick up the puck and throw it out of the crease with no call. Other teams have goals against them after the whistle--but some would have you believe there is no biased officiating in the league; ya sure!

The officiating sof49 this year made the difference for the team's play-offs aspirations. Consolation is the Team was not to contend anyway given small size and inexperience. But I wonder what the Nucks will experience when they are ready to make a push. Hopefully not more of the same BS we keep seeing. Can Bettman just retire already? His corrupt mob is ruining the game and revenues from fans like me who are boycotting their NHL Center ICE money train.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

Fraser knew how to chuck em....Marc Crawford second in line at center....the days when helmets were not mandatory

I love the lack of advertising back then. All these inlaid graphics and distractions on the ice/boards/glass  nowadays drive me nuts.

13 hours ago, oldnews said:

Normally I'd agree with you on this - if a team is simply allowing their opponent to come at you in waves when they are trailing, dump and change = nothing worse than sitting back playing "prevent".

However, I don't think that's necessarily what happened last night.

A few things - their young players - Hughes, Boeser,  EP, Rafferty, Gaudette - were all pretty much conceding territory regardless.  Understandable - the Preds were already a deep contender - and went out and added Simmonds, Granlund... I was pretty impressed that the Canucks group was able to hang with them as well as they did 33-32 shots.... And that with a couple pairings imo - Hutton Rafferty and Hughes Schenn - that you're not necessarily going to push the issue with even at the best of times.

And still, shots in the 3rd period were only 12-8 - with a couple fairly seeing-eye goals - one an open net for Bonino with Markstrom pretzeled in the net, and the other an own-goal off Stecher.   Overall I thought the Predators were relatively unimpressive considering their roster - and the third period imo was more of a twilight zone 'collapse' as opposed to bending too much under pressure.  I don't really see it as a consequence of a 'trap' / systems-adjustment approach.  The defense - one guy a rookie in his 4th game, another rookie in his first NHL game, one of them partnered with a placeholder.... is only going to look so good under the circumstances.  Edler once again playing nearly 28 minutes - is going to need to sleep for a month after the St Louis game to close the season.

The challenges you state are certainly real but it did look to me that Green had them deliberately playing the neutral zone trap for extended periods in the third.  The Preds had zero forecheck pressure against them and were given as much time as they wanted to set up their attack, make changes to personnel etc. while our guys waited.  I am not criticizing our guys effort last game and agree they hung in pretty well but even though the goals were of the strange variety, playing that defensive shell kind of game is courting disaster and allows opportunities for things to go wrong, which they did.    With our current defense crew including so many rookies, it is even more important to try to keep the puck in the other team's end. 

22 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Fare enough question and yes I agree with you for the most part...……..

Well, I think we are 2 players away from being a top 12 team and 2 years maturing to be a top 8-10 team, in talent anyways...…….

I think the expansion draft may get in the way, because of shuffling of players, but  by in large we are not that far away...……….

We are a top 22 team today. Take the injuries out and we are a top 18, mature it 2 years and we are a top 14, add those 3 players, we are a 8 to 10

Might be a little off, but that is the short version.

Personally, I am hoping for Benning to draft one of Krebs, Boldy, or Zegras, all of which are great offensive players....would love to have Boldy!

Sign(UFA) a RWer for Horvatt and a 1st pairing Dman, by making those moves, we fill in a lot of holes

I also would love for Benning to move Baertschi, Hutton, and Sutter.....and go Defensman crazy at the draft, personally, I would also be moving my 2021 1st, 

if it gets you around 20th OA in this years draft......

I can understand what you would love to see happen BUT the reality could be quite different. Sign a UFA RW for Horvat, sounds to me like another Erickson signing danger. Sign a first pairing D? How likely is that to happen, sounds to me like a Shattenkirk signing. Bottom line is, free agency is not the solution. Look at the first 5 years of Benning, it is not a small sample, 5 years. Who do we have? Erickson was the big signing, and then we have Gagner, Beagle, Schaller, Roussel.... That is the reality. I agree that our talent is steadily increasing but there are still huge gaps, like we have no second line talent and, well, you know about the D group. So yes we are close to the playoffs. That is the first step. Look how much Edmonton is struggling to get there. And if we can become a steady playoff team in a couple of years, that will be huge. But then compare our roster to Washington or Tampa Bay and you can see the gap. 

28 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

The challenges you state are certainly real but it did look to me that Green had them deliberately playing the neutral zone trap for extended periods in the third.  The Preds had zero forecheck pressure against them and were given as much time as they wanted to set up their attack, make changes to personnel etc. while our guys waited.  I am not criticizing our guys effort last game and agree they hung in pretty well but even though the goals were of the strange variety, playing that defensive shell kind of game is courting disaster and allows opportunities for things to go wrong, which they did.    With our current defense crew including so many rookies, it is even more important to try to keep the puck in the other team's end. 

Yup...trap now starts at center...so they basically giving the other team half the ice...just need to gain center for the shoot in and then get in on the forecheck...exactly what happened. Old days the trap started at the blue line and all of the neutral zone was bottled up before the centerline.

Archived