The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Feelings about Canucks going to the WHC

VIC_CITY

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are about sending our guys out to the WHC. On one hand, it's an absolute honour to play for your country and with the Olympics in doubt, the WHC is that much more prestigious. But for a team with an injury history like ours, I wonder if it's best that some of these guys just go home, rest up and get an early start on their summer work outs. 

Quinn Hughes makes sense given the light college schedule, but what about the rest? Brock is a guy that appears to have been battling injuries all season. His skating has seemed off at times and we all know how heavily taped his wrist is. Same thing with Bo, we haven't seem him skate like we're used to. He used to bull rush end to end on the regular. What about EP? Quite frankly, he looks tired. Let's add Marky in too. 60 games is a lot. What if Tanev heals up and wants to go? We have to draw the line somewhere lol

To send or not to send. That is the question.

My prediction is many Canucks will not go. Boeser said he won't go, Horvat is getting married this summer. Pettersson said earlier in the year he would go if he was healthy. Markstrom likely won't go as he's declined in the past. Hughes is going. Baertschi and Tanev might go if they feel healthy. (It's been reported Team Canada has already approached Tanev). Edler has gone 3 times but with injuries he might not go. Demko and Stecher are slim possibilies. That's all I can think of.

Hopefully Tanev can go and show well, then ship him to Toronto around the draft after the fall in the 1st round due to poor defence. Try to get Kapanen from Toronto if we have to add something then do it. Could be the prefect winger for our top 6

why the concern?

the travel will be less then with the canucks

fatigue appears to have a strong correlation to injuries

they basically travel to the tournament

set up shop, stay in 1 hotel

and play some hockey

i think it is good for all who decide to go

it made tanev into the best defensive dman in the eyes of many in the hockey world

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

My prediction is many Canucks will not go. Boeser said he won't go, Horvat is getting married this summer. Pettersson said earlier in the year he would go if he was healthy. Markstrom likely won't go as he's declined in the past. Hughes is going. Baertschi and Tanev might go if they feel healthy. (It's been reported Team Canada has already approached Tanev). Edler has gone 3 times but with injuries he might not go. Demko and Stecher are slim possibilies. That's all I can think of.

Edler is a UFA, I can see him taking no chances with injury?

This is just paranoia at best worrying about injuries like this. Like Twilight said earlier, let them go if they get the offer and want to go.

I swear, the next step is to put a bunch of stunt doubles on the ice during our hockey games or something with how paranoid people are. lol

Anyone who wants to go should go.

There are upsides that offset the risk.

It helps development to play in big games.

It also helps to forge relationships with players from other teams.  Lots of players talk about liking to know guys in a locker room when moving to a new team.  Maybe someone has chemistry on a line with one of our guys and that helps him choose us as a UFA down the road.  Same goes for international players who aren’t NHL property.

I love hockey and I watch a lot of it. I honestly couldn't give a rat's poop shoot about the WHC just because you put on a sweater with a red leaf on it doesn't do enough for me. I wanna see that Olympic gold baby. I would guarantee the players in that tournament would value winning gold below a Calder Cup let alone a Stanley cup, Memorial cup, a WJC Gold, Gagarin cup, Le Mat Pokalen, Kanada Malja, maybe even a RBC cup. No kid grows up dreaming of wearing WHC gold.  

I sincerely hope the PA fights hard for the right to go back to the Olympics in the next CBA.

Anyone that’s asked to go should consider it an honour and do it.  Winning world championship is no small feet, and would provide a boost.  Any small nagging injury will be healed by then, and it’s not the same as NHL playoff hockey on a larger surface, hitting isn’t constant and relentless.  Also winning the triple crown can’t happen if you don’t win a world championship.  Can’t see why any of our young players that haven’t experienced it much would decline (unless they are actually hurt but none of them are).  Not to mention it will get their bodies used to that extra hockey after the season is over, which could help them once we actually make the playoffs.

Archived