The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Draft Lottery | April 9th, 5:00pm PT

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, mll said:

Then why was he trying to trade up in 2017.  Pettersson was not projected to go in the top-5.

I suspect JB suspected some other GM was speculating selecting his suspected pick

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, stawns said:

I honestly don't think there's a huge discrepancy between 1-10 this year.  Neither Hughes nor Kakko are going to be generational players, maybe not even frnchise players and there's at least 4-5 behind them who could easily be better picks.

Get that exact same feeling...

Think we are going to get a good player, regardless of where we pick in the top 10. 

A bit like every draft... there will be disappointments and there will be good players further down the draft...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mll said:

Then why was he trying to trade up in 2017.  Pettersson was not projected to go in the top-5.

He was actually trying to trade down, thinking he would still have his pick but decided against it. Concerned that he would get scooped. I can’t recall the article but it had a couple quotes in it from him. 

*edit - it was sportsnet. Copied below. 

THE RANGERS SPOOKED VANCOUVER FROM TRADING DOWN TOO FAR

It seems as though Vancouver assumed Nico Hischier, Nolan Patrick, Miro Heiskanen and Cale Makar would be picked in some order with the first four selections. At that point, Swedish centre Elias Pettersson was Vancouver’s guy and Benning believed he could trade down a couple slots, add an extra pick, and still get him.

Initially, Benning was talking trade with new Buffalo Sabres GM Jason Botterill about moving to the eighth pick. However, after the New York Rangers acquired the seventh-overall pick in a trade that sent Antti Raanta and Derek Stepan to Arizona, Benning shied away from the Buffalo deal, thinking there was a shot New York would take Pettersson.

“Now that the Rangers popped in there, I don’t know if… I’m scared to go all the way down to eighth,” Benning told Botterill.

“The Rangers were the wild card,” Bening told his staff after selecting Pettersson. “Like I had no idea, and they might have taken Pettersson if he was there.”

Edited by zapperman
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

I’m usually not much of a conspiracy theorist, however....

Back in 2013-2014, New Jersey was fined by the NHL for circumventing the cap for Kovalchuks contract.

This from mynhldraft.com

“New Jersey must forfeit their 1st round pick in either 2013 or 2014 as a penalty from the NHL for circumventing the cap when signing Ilya Kovalchuk. They also forfeited their 2011 3rd round pick and $3 million.”

# 30 - The NHL alters their punishment on the Devils for the Ilya Kovalchuk cap circumvention. They are given the 30th overall pick in the 2014, which they are not allowed to trade or transfer to another team. The NHL is also forgiving $1.5 million of the fine. **Original penalty ** New Jersey must forfeit their 2014 1st round pick as a penalty from the NHL for circumventing the cap when signing Ilya Kovalchuk. They also forfeited their 2011 3rd round pick and $3 million.

Now that Kovalchuk is back playing in the NHL (well, sorta), I wonder if the NHL has felt bad about being mean to Josh Harris, and is kinda evening things out.  Maybe Harris now has a nice cushy job at Apollo Global Management waiting for Bettman??? :ph34r:

Ahhh good thing I go back too work tomorrow, too much time on my hands looking at Wikipedia.... now on to see how the Wirtz family bribed Bettman...:blink:

• Thanks 1

What really p!55e5 me off is Devil getting the second 1 OA i 3 years...I mean what the f is that about.

I thought, we were trying to get away from the same team getting all the top picks, but not only do they get the top picks, they never were bottom neither.

So the whole idea of helping the needy getting better for parity is right down the drain....

They got help with their penalty in the Kovalchuk case as well in 2014...were they were supposed to not have a 1rd pick, but was allowed to pick 30th OA... When the hell has Canucks had any help like this... 

The system is broke... Down the flipping drain.... 

The only way we won't be falling in the draft, is if we pick 15th or are in the playoffs... 

6 minutes ago, Darth Canuck said:

I’m usually not much of a conspiracy theorist, however....

Back in 2013-2014, New Jersey was fined by the NHL for circumventing the cap for Kovalchuks contract.

This from mynhldraft.com

“New Jersey must forfeit their 1st round pick in either 2013 or 2014 as a penalty from the NHL for circumventing the cap when signing Ilya Kovalchuk. They also forfeited their 2011 3rd round pick and $3 million.”

# 30 - The NHL alters their punishment on the Devils for the Ilya Kovalchuk cap circumvention. They are given the 30th overall pick in the 2014, which they are not allowed to trade or transfer to another team. The NHL is also forgiving $1.5 million of the fine. **Original penalty ** New Jersey must forfeit their 2014 1st round pick as a penalty from the NHL for circumventing the cap when signing Ilya Kovalchuk. They also forfeited their 2011 3rd round pick and $3 million.

Now that Kovalchuk is back playing in the NHL (well, sorta), I wonder if the NHL has felt bad about being mean to Josh Harris, and is kinda evening things out.  Maybe Harris now has a nice cushy job at Apollo Global Management waiting for Bettman??? :ph34r:

Ahhh good thing I go back too work tomorrow, too much time on my hands looking at Wikipedia.... now on to see how the Wirtz family bribed Bettman...:blink:

Was just writing about the same thing.... Disgusted...

9 hours ago, rekker said:

Been a tough evening. My emotions are all over with anger and just downright disbelief over the lack of luck. It was disheartening to move down in the draft, again. We have made the finals three times as a franchise and we were never ever the beneficiary of a draft lottery win. We have some great pieces in place and with some good moves we will get over this bad luck at the lottery and back to being a competitor. I wanted to reach through the TV tonight and punch Ray Shero's smug face. Frik. 

The Lottery is looking more like pie on the face of Bettman, and has been for some time now..

He definitely needs to listen to what Brian Burke has been saying,.  Burkey did have a position in the office of the NHL at one time,.

If Bettman was a better man, and think pragmatically he would drop his arrogance and “little man” bravado, and listen to a colleague with more experience in this great game.  That’s how things change for the better.

The lottery needs a complete overhaul.

Why would any teams outside of the bottom 5 be involved?

The NHL can not shake it's 2nd tier status because of garbage like this, on a regular basis.

I had no idea how far up the Rangers and Blackhawks moved. So greasy, as usual with the NHL.

• Upvote 1