The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van-Ana at the draft

So IMO Anaheim needs to go full rebuild after this season. They are old , heavy and slow and did I mention slow. They should expect to tank next year.  The Canucks major needs I have identified are a winger that is money in front of the net a garbage man as it were for Brock and Pete and can step in if things get nasty (Nick Ritchie). The other main need is a safety net for Hughes to play rover that can log big minutes Schenn is a nice stand-in but he's not a 20+ min a night guy the way Schenn plays 20+ mins a night would have him in the infirmary. I think Josh Manson is quietly one of the best stay home D in the game shades of Hjalmarsson in his game. 

To Anaheim: Van 1st 2019 9-12 + Sutter

To Van: Nick Ritchie + Josh Manson + 5th(JB's sweet spot)

A unit of:

Ritchie

Hughes Pete Brock

Manson

I could see being all incredibly complementary to each other in the game they play with each having their roles, 1-3-1 formation would be very effective With Manson as the anchor and Ritchie menacing net front. 

followed up with:

Pearson Bo XXX(Panarin/Skinner)

Edler Tanev

Anaheim now has 2 top 10 picks this year to begin their rebuild and Sutter to create an environment that will allow the youth movement to mature in a way that will aid their development. At the cost of a D that won't be a part of their new core and Ritchie who is a hammer in a bucket of hammers. 

This deal leaves JB with the flow to still shop for a scoring winger for Bo and solidifies our D until the ED where Juolevi and Woo will be chomping at the bit to take someone's job.

Nick Pete Boeser

Pearson Bo XXX (Panarin/Skinner)

Bae Gaud Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Loui

Leivo Granlund/Gaunce(A) Goldobin (Bait for a pick?)

Edler Tanev

Hughes Manson

Hutton Stetcher

Juolevi(A) Biega (A) Woo(M)

2021 Tryamkin?? (E)

Markstrom

Demko

I think not only does this team make the playoffs but actually makes some noise. Manson and Ritchie have playoff heros written all over them wasted on a heavy slow and old Anaheim team they have no one to complement their games to play with. With the play buzzing around in the O zone Ritchie net front would cause absolute havoc for goalies. And Manson is an absolute rock no one gets through him. 

Flame away!

You state that Anaheim needs to go in a full rebuild, and then you have them trading Nick Ritchie, who is 23 and put up 31pts in 60 games. I think a 23 year old winger who can produce at a 0.51PPG clip and a 27 year old top 4 Dman are way more valuable to a rebuilding team than the 9th-12th overall pick, and a 30 year old injury prone center. Plus Anaheim will already have a draft pick in the exact same area.

Just now, Blue Jay 22 said:

You state that Anaheim needs to go in a full rebuild, and then you have them trading Nick Ritchie, who is 23 and put up 31pts in 60 games. I think a 23 year old winger who can produce at a 0.51PPG clip and a 27 year old top 4 Dman are way more valuable to a rebuilding team than the 9th-12th overall pick, and a 30 year old injury prone center. Plus Anaheim will already have a draft pick in the exact same area.

So they will have scouted that area of the draft well then. They make a safe pick and a risky pick. Would you trade Virtanen and Tanev right now for a top 10 pick? I would.

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

So they will have scouted that area of the draft well then. They make a safe pick and a risky pick. Would you trade Virtanen and Tanev right now for a top 10 pick? I would.

That was actually gonna be my follow up.

This would be equivalent to us trading Virtanen + Tanev for Anaheim's pick and say Ryan Kesler with retention (Not really a good Sutter comp on their team). I would not do that because like Ritchie, I think Virtanen showed some good signs of progression here and there throughout the year, and I do not believe a young top 9 forward and prime age top 4Dman would be equal value for a pick in the 9-12 range. 

1.  Don't trade your 1st rounder when you host the draft and your team is supposedly in Mid-rebuild! 

2.  Nick Ritchie is the opposite of the type of player JB has been saying he's looking for - fast, skilled, high hockey IQ - he's none of those. I didn't say he wasn't useful,  he's just not those qualities. 

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

1.  Don't trade your 1st rounder when you host the draft and your team is supposedly in Mid-rebuild! 

2.  Nick Ritchie is the opposite of the type of player JB has been saying he's looking for - fast, skilled, high hockey IQ - he's none of those. I didn't say he wasn't useful,  he's just not those qualities. 

Correct.  Nick Ritchie couldn't even keep up with Brock and Petey.  Just because he is tough doesn't mean he can play with our superstars.  I'd rather draft a guy like Matthew Boldy and develop him into a good two way player who can play in the top 6.  

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Correct.  Nick Ritchie couldn't even keep up with Brock and Petey.  Just because he is tough doesn't mean he can play with our superstars.  I'd rather draft a guy like Matthew Boldy and develop him into a good two way player who can play in the top 6.  

I think they need someone to stand infront of the net and screen the goalie and bury rebounds more than they need a speedy high IQ winger. Quinn Hughes basically accomplishes that with his rover style.

17 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

That was actually gonna be my follow up.

This would be equivalent to us trading Virtanen + Tanev for Anaheim's pick and say Ryan Kesler with retention (Not really a good Sutter comp on their team). I would not do that because like Ritchie, I think Virtanen showed some good signs of progression here and there throughout the year, and I do not believe a young top 9 forward and prime age top 4Dman would be equal value for a pick in the 9-12 range. 

You wouldn't do that?  Most Canucks fans would jump at trading Virtanen and Tanev for a top ten pick plus a useful veteran (even with a bad contract)

3 hours ago, underrated said:

You wouldn't do that?  Most Canucks fans would jump at trading Virtanen and Tanev for a top ten pick plus a useful veteran (even with a bad contract)

I'd do it purely on the fact we move out Tanev and got a top 10 pick for essentially Virtanen. Tanev is a borderline cap dump at this point. League knows he's walking crutches. Nobody would trade a top 10 pick and a cap dump for Virtanen and a cap dump in Tanev.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Van-Ana at the draft

Archived