The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van-Tor

To Toronto: 2020 2nd, 2019 6th (WSH)

To Vancouver: Kasperi Kapanen

Why Vancouver does this: Vancouver could use a second line RW behind Brock, Kapanen fits the bill. He had a nice break out this year with 20 goals and 24 assists which would place him behind our big 3 in terms of scoring leaders. 

Why Toronto does this: The Leafs are pushed up against the cap and have to sign Marner, Johnsson and Kapanen. Somethings got to give, Kapanen is the odd man out. Toronto can't accept players back as they need to shed salary, not take any on. 

For the record, I am a fan of Andreas Johnsson. He's proved he can score at every level. He's currently playing with Matthews which could be inflating his stats a little. He would be my first choice but that would create a log jam on our left side.

Thoughts? Value on/off?

13 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Thoughts? Value on/off?

I don't think we get that player for that price (I do think it's in the ballpark anyway)  but this is the type of scenario we should be looking at - targeting teams up against the cap to fill in the holes on the roster that won't immediately be met with kids/prospects so these guys can develop at their own natural pace imo.

Generally,  I subscribe to building through the draft but if some GM is in a hard place and wants a lower pick and/or a fringe player for a guy he can't otherwise afford because of cap issues you gotta at least take that call. 

3 minutes ago, xereau said:

Goldobin and a 3rd.  Keep our 2nd for a D.

Don't think Toronto would want to take on any RFAs. Obviously Goldobin won't demand the same salary bump as Kapanen, but it's still somewhat lateral. The 2nd would be from the 2020 draft, not this year. Which hopefully by that time will be more in the 45th-52nd overall range rather than 35th-40th range.

While I would be more than happy to get Kapanen, and Toronto is indeed against the cap, I think they want more. Kapanen is likely nowhere near his ceiling, and is already scoring at a 2nd line pace.

I am sure there are prospects of ours we as fans were high on but Benning knows wont likely work out.  Lind has been mentioned - maybe Gadjovich. I think you need to throw one of them in for Toronto to even listen, and even then they are probably not interested imo.

So to me, good target but I don't agree on your valuation. 

Of course, there is the whole offer sheet angle.  We could offer him 4.05m a season and only have to give up our 2nd. To me, that seems like a better idea, and perhaps he would be willing to give some term too.

4.05m for 5 years.  I would do that.

Archived