The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Current Canucks' UFA/RFA-what would you do? (Discussion)

bigbadcanucks

9 minutes ago, wildcam said:

lol lol

Have you gone to capfriendly ? You will never sign Boser for 5 million... 

Boser between 6.5 -- 7.0 million for 6 yrs

Leivo 2 yrs x 1.7 per yr

Goldy will want at least same as Virtanen 1.2 million per yr

Hutton - will want between 3.7 - 4.0 million

Edler - will demand for short 2 yr contract 5.6 million..

Grandlund try and package he is a very good depth guy..

Rest of players I agree with..

Goldy can want until he's blue in the face. Virtanen scored 8 more goals from the bottom 6. Goldie got some assists playing w Pete. Not comparable at all. Virtanen also does good stuff when he's not scoring. 

If I'm JB I'm shopping him if there are no takers let him test UFA waters and see what he's offered. Dangle 800k and say if you can do better take it. 

15 minutes ago, wildcam said:

lol lol

Have you gone to capfriendly ? You will never sign Boser for 5 million... 

Boser between 6.5 -- 7.0 million for 6 yrs

Leivo 2 yrs x 1.7 per yr

Goldy will want at least same as Virtanen 1.2 million per yr

Hutton - will want between 3.7 - 4.0 million

Edler - will demand for short 2 yr contract 5.6 million..

Grandlund try and package he is a very good depth guy..

Rest of players I agree with..

I hear you. This is just what I would like to do if I were Benning. Now they may not sign at that dollar figure, but that is what I am starting the offers at. I would rather a bridge contract for Boeser. I'd go 2/3 @ 6 - 6.5  Mil, then give him the 6-8 year contract. Would prefer not to have him hit FA at 27 with a 6 year contract right now.

Leivo didn't prove to me he was worth more than a 1 year deal, plus with a 1 year deal he will still be an RFA not a UFA I believe, but could be wrong?

Goldy has no power here, he could sit out the season if he doesn't like the offer, I'm not paying $1.2 to someone that can't put it together

Hutton can ask for that, I'm not offering it. I'd rather give Gardner 5-6 Mil as a FA. Only way I'm giving Hutton $4 Mil is if Edler doesn't sign

I'd be ok with Edler 2 @ 5.7 up to 6 Mil, he had a great bounce back season. Would just love it if he could stay healthy for an entire year

Yeah if anyone would offer anything of value I would consider trading Granlund

Current Roster

RFA - Brock Boeser (3 years at $6 million)

RFA - Markus Granlund (qualify)

RFA - Tyler Motte (2 years at $900,000 NHL and $250,000 minors)

RFA - Josh Leivo (2 years at $1.75 million)

RFA - Nikolay Goldobin (gone)

UFA - Alex Edler (3 years at $5 million)

RFA - Ben Hutton (Qualify him)

UFA - Luke Schenn (2 years at $0.85 million)

RFA - Derrick Pouliot (gone)

RFA - Josh Teves ($250K - Utica)

RFA - Brogan Rafferty ($250K - Utica)

RFA - Thatcher Demko (2 years at $1.5 million)

Minors/Injured

RFA - Yan Pavel Laplante (gone)

UFA - Tom Pyatt (gone)

RFA - Brendan Gaunce (gone)

UFA - Tanner Kero ($250K - Utica)

RFA - Reid Boucher (gone)

UFA - Evan McEneny (gone)

RFA - Brock Boeser - 8yrX$8Mill

RFA - Markus Granlund - Qualify, Trade for mid round pick

RFA - Tyler Motte - Resign 2 way deal

RFA - Josh Leivo - 3yrX$2Mill

RFA - Nikolay Goldobin - Trade for Mid round Pick

UFA - Alex Edler - 4yrX$4Mill

RFA - Ben Hutton - Qualify 2X3, Trade if you can get a 2nd rounder

UFA - Luke Schenn 1yrX1Mill

RFA - Derrick Pouliot - Drive him to the Airport

RFA - Josh Teves 

RFA - Brogan Rafferty Qualify him and Teves

RFA - Thatcher Demko 2 Years, 1.5m

Minors

I'd only keep Boucher.  Maybe Kero.  

I'm guessing that you will likely see Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi and Erikkson elsewhere as well.

It's going to be a different looking squad next year for sure!

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

To not risk splitting hairs, I'd say the OP's decisions/numbers are pretty solid.

Might offer 2 x 6.5 to Eagle(avoid ED syndrome!), if he'd take it.

I think there is no way getting around it. If you sign him you are protecting him in the ED. We would all love that 2 year deal but he will likely stand firm on that NMC + term over money. He is the Canucks all time leading D after all. He either retires a Canuck or walks UFA insulted.

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think there is no way getting around it. If you sign him you are protecting him in the ED. We would all love that 2 year deal but he will likely stand firm on that NMC + term over money. He is the Canucks all time leading D after all. He either retires a Canuck or walks UFA insulted.

Why can't we promise to sign him for another 2 or 3 yrs(handshake, secretly under the subway tunnel)?..My word, Mildred..after all these yrs there must be trust, eh?

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I don't think that sounds on the low side at all.  The guy played great hockey for a quarter of the season... he can't possibly expect that to translate into the big bucks yet.

To me, a lot has to do with how he plays next year.  If he can keep it up then fine but I really would like a bigger sample size than what we've seen so far before we throw term at him.  If he did happen to fall down to earth, I would hate for us to be saddled with a 4.5m contract for 4 years for a backup. In the middle of that contract, we would be back into cap management territory. 

I think if we did an extension, all sides would benefit from a 2 year term.  This gives him time to convince everyone that he is the real deal, and if not and we did decide to move on from him he can man the net while Demko hopefully learns to become a #1 himself.  2 years also buys us time to see how Demko and DiPietro are progressing, and we will have a better idea what to do with our goalie situation overall.

a quarter of the season?  He's been one of the best in the league since early December

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I don't think that sounds on the low side at all.  The guy played great hockey for a quarter of the season... he can't possibly expect that to translate into the big bucks yet.

To me, a lot has to do with how he plays next year.  If he can keep it up then fine but I really would like a bigger sample size than what we've seen so far before we throw term at him.  If he did happen to fall down to earth, I would hate for us to be saddled with a 4.5m contract for 4 years for a backup. In the middle of that contract, we would be back into cap management territory. 

I think if we did an extension, all sides would benefit from a 2 year term.  This gives him time to convince everyone that he is the real deal, and if not and we did decide to move on from him he can man the net while Demko hopefully learns to become a #1 himself.  2 years also buys us time to see how Demko and DiPietro are progressing, and we will have a better idea what to do with our goalie situation overall.

Sorry Markstrom has been outstanding for a lot more than “a quarter of the season.”

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

a quarter of the season?  He's been one of the best in the league since early December

Sign him 5m for 10 years front loaded and give him the C!

I jest. I'm fine W 4.5 x 4 if he doesn't live up to it expose him in the ED if Demko outplays him trade him. If he plays dominantly trade Demko.  At some point you have to stand by your man. 

The cheese stands alone. 

35 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Why can't we promise to sign him for another 2 or 3 yrs(handshake, secretly under the subway tunnel)?..My word, Mildred..after all these yrs there must be trust, eh?

We don't have MG anymore. We have honest Jim. MG would have opened him an acct in the Caymans. Jim doesn't even know where that is.

2 hours ago, dm_ranger said:

you might be right, I just don't see it as obvious to just let him walk as a number of people posted..  If he has better opportunities elsewhere, I wouldn't blame him in the least.  I can't see him being in the Canucks plans for the big team, but I can see value for Utica. 

If he wants to be part of Utica, then for sure I'd keep him. However, like you said, we don't really have plans for him long term, so why not give him an opportunity rather than holding him back? There's a possibility that Spooner may get waived next year and sent to Utica (doubtful a team picks him up at his cap and if so, another bonus for us) if there's a roster crunch and he would very easily replace whatever Boucher did and Spooner would be a much better call up option.

I actually see a bigger surprise that people would let Pouliot walk. I get that he wasn't the best NHL player, but he would be of greater value to us IMO if signed and sent to Utica. Assuming he clears (if he doesn't, well people seem happy to let him walk for free anyway), he would add call up depth plus might have more value to be traded once he's cleared waivers. Some team might want to add him as insurance for a playoff run next season or there could be some project swap with another team.

2 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

Why doesn't anyone want to sign Boucher?? He has been Utica's best player. Keep  him around let him tear it up in the A

Is there a future with his with the Canucks possibly? He will take up a NHL contract spot, which may be more useful towards some NCAA signing or whoever. The other question is what does he want? Does he want to simply be ripping up the AHL? I'm sure he wants to land an NHL gig, so why not give him that opportunity to see if he can find a fit and if not offer an AHL deal if he's interested.

With our logjam of forwards, barring some movement, we will likely be sending down some vets that will take his spot. I can see Spooner being a candidate and there's a chance that someone like Gaudette is back in the AHL to start the year simply because of the numbers game and his eligibility to be sent down. So with that said, instead of having Boucher take up more development time, maybe Gadjovich/Lind or whoever can also have a bigger role next season as well.

53 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sorry Markstrom has been outstanding for a lot more than “a quarter of the season.”

You guys are nitpicking.  Ok, maybe it was as much as half the season - but the point remains it wasn't a large enough sample size for my liking to sign with term.

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

RFA - Brock Boeser - 8yrX$8Mill

RFA - Markus Granlund - Qualify, Trade for mid round pick

RFA - Tyler Motte - Resign 2 way deal

RFA - Josh Leivo - 3yrX$2Mill

RFA - Nikolay Goldobin - Trade for Mid round Pick

UFA - Alex Edler - 4yrX$4Mill

RFA - Ben Hutton - Qualify 2X3, Trade if you can get a 2nd rounder

UFA - Luke Schenn 1yrX1Mill

RFA - Derrick Pouliot - Drive him to the Airport

RFA - Josh Teves 

RFA - Brogan Rafferty Qualify him and Teves

RFA - Thatcher Demko 2 Years, 1.5m

Minors

I'd only keep Boucher.  Maybe Kero.  

I'm guessing that you will likely see Tanev, Sutter, Baertschi and Erikkson elsewhere as well.

It's going to be a different looking squad next year for sure!

You lost me at Brock 8x8 but got me back at driving Poopoo to the airport. But, seriously, that's way too much for too long for Brock. I'm guessing 6x6.6 or a bridge deal. 

I think some of the posters are undervaluing what it would cost to sign Boeser.

He will get minimum what Horvat is receiving... (5.5 mil)  and probably another 1 mil on top of that.  Its fairly obvious Brock is a 35 goal scorer with the potential to hit 40+ and that means his price is north of Bo's.

Same thing with Edler... it will take at least 6 mil to sign him... unless they give him a no-trade clause which they do not want to do.

I don't think Hutton gets any more than $3 mil per year...  in fact maybe he gets the same deal as before, 2.8 mil... he has not proved himself over the long term yet.

With Leivo, he is currently getting $600,000.... I would expect he would sign for 1.5 mil for a couple years.

Luke Schenn is a question... personally I think they would be best to sign him for a two year/two way deal.... 1 mil in the NHL and $200,000 in the AHL.  That way if he regresses, they can send him to the farm.

I would expect Tyler Motte gets 1.25 mil.

I personally think Marcus Granlund is worth keeping around... unless they have the opportunity to deal him for a good defenseman or propect.  He is an NHL player and can do almost everything that is asked of him... whether it is scoring, PK, PP, shutdown or whatever.  That is valuable in the NHL, either on the Canucks or as trade bait.

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I think some of the posters are undervaluing what it would cost to sign Boeser.

He will get minimum what Horvat is receiving... (5.5 mil)  and probably another 1 mil on top of that.  Its fairly obvious Brock is a 35 goal scorer with the potential to hit 40+ and that means his price is north of Bo's.

Same thing with Edler... it will take at least 6 mil to sign him... unless they give him a no-trade clause which they do not want to do.

I don't think Hutton gets any more than $3 mil per year...  in fact maybe he gets the same deal as before, 2.8 mil... he has not proved himself over the long term yet.

With Leivo, he is currently getting $600,000.... I would expect he would sign for 1.5 mil for a couple years.

Luke Schenn is a question... personally I think they would be best to sign him for a two year/two way deal.... 1 mil in the NHL and $200,000 in the AHL.  That way if he regresses, they can send him to the farm.

I would expect Tyler Motte gets 1.25 mil.

I personally think Marcus Granlund is worth keeping around... unless they have the opportunity to deal him for a good defenseman or propect.  He is an NHL player and can do almost everything that is asked of him... whether it is scoring, PK, PP, shutdown or whatever.  That is valuable in the NHL, either on the Canucks or as trade bait.

Time to make another poll question on how much each will get...

If I was a GM for a day I’d sign myself for the maximum and then develop an allergy to skates or something and enjoy my pension. 

Seriouly though no way Boeser signs for less than 6.5 and we’d be smart to buy some of his free agent years now, it’s going to cost a lot more by the time that comes around ...

Archived