The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wanna know how I got these scars? :P

Schroeder’s downfall wasn’t even necessarily his size. He just stopped being a good hockey player. His production in college literally just dipped in half or something after his draft year. You can’t really attribute that to size because he was doing fine the year before

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i’ve been counting everyones thought so far, 

boldy and soderstrom have 16 votes each, caulfield 9 and broberg 8. no one else has more than 4. 

is this scientific research?

It might be worthwhile if those opinions were coming from NHL scouts, but they are not. What do you get when you add up a whole bunch of zeros?

So I don't know all of the players available admittedly, and this is going to be vague, but in my opinion:

1) A larger player if possible, given we have a lot of small prospects in the system already.

2) A defender first, then a winger if the defender is not available, given we have a TON of centers in the system (not a bad problem to have at all) and really need defense.

Keep in mind I'm not saying don't draft a center or don't go with a smaller player if that's the best pick at the time. I'm just saying what I think would benefit us more.

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I'm getting sick of this narrative.

How many times has a team going out of it's way to get brothers worked out? Philly and the Schenns? Carolina and the Staals? Heck, even Vancouver and the Courtnalls?

Usually, acquiring brothers ends up a negative. Sedins were a special case, that had played together their whole lives. It cannot be recaptured. Jack could have played with Quinn this year, but chose to go his own way, to do what was best for his own career. They are different guys who want to chart their own paths.

Agreed actually. Everyone seems to think every year their team is going to trade up, no matter what team it is, and this is such a rare case (and almost never happens to #1 and #2, last I recall was.... us getting the Sedins and trading DOWN? Is that right?) that it's just people having wishful thinking.

Also, it's never a realistic proposal people have to get #1 or #2.

Edited by The Lock

The 5 guys I see around the 10 spot are....

Zegras

Boldy

Dach

Krebs

Soderstrom

Zegras probably goes earlier. Dach is probably on the higher edge. Boldy, Krebs, Soderstrom are right there...….

In saying that, it is early, and there will still be movement in the rankings......The U-18's are still to come, and that could change things a little, but ultimately, Jimbo will have his own list, and will be picking off of it. 

It is a most wonderful time of the year!

37 minutes ago, Grape said:

Schroeder’s downfall wasn’t even necessarily his size. He just stopped being a good hockey player. His production in college literally just dipped in half or something after his draft year. You can’t really attribute that to size because he was doing fine the year before

You may be correct, but 99% of the 'negative commentary' was around his size, so when things didn't work out, size was the villain ! ( true/ false, no-one knows for sure ! )

Unfortunately, the Canucks probably won't be getting a great player, but they'll get a good player. They have quite a few good players though, but need greatness. Ho hum.

I would love to see Benning be bold and trade to move up, to grab a player a lot of us want, but it sounds like he won't be trading any of the young core. So, 10th pick, right around that range where the talent really drops off. Wonderful.

Maybe we get lucky and....oh who am I kidding? Well, I am still hoping somehow, someway, Dach or Krebs fall to us.

Alex Newhook I’m actually intrigued by, he’s fast and skilled, but I’ve only seen his highlights...Alex Newhook plays for Victoria Grizzlies.

has anyone here seen this kid play? If so plz a scouting report. I’m hoping he’s like the islanders Mathew Barzal. 

I would love Zegras but that won’t happen, but top # 3 Vasily Podkolzin I have a strong feeling is really going to drop. The Russian factor and he’s not super fast footed., but he’s a hard worker with tons of drive it looks like.

i gotta really believe in JB ( and I do ) because at 10 there’s so many options it’s crazy. The Swede D guys, Boldy, etc

My hope is for ,of course a legitimate top 6 fw or top 4 D. I hope we don’t end up with a third line Center, as I like 88Gaudette there.

Edited by HockeyHarry

I have been going back and forth on this decision all night. But at 10 I say we go for Victor Soderstrom. I think he would make a great defensive pairing with Olli Juolevi. He would help our club be one step closer to rebuilding our defence. He is the coveted right shot defence man we need who is responsible and a good skater. Last season the team in Sweden he plays for let Adam Boqvist run the show this next season will be Victor Soderstrom's turn. His game is still developing and he could still become elite. It might seem like a boring pick now but it will fill a major hole with our team. Pettersson will have  another Swedish friend on the team. here is a scouting report on him. 

10 - Victor Soderstrom

40- Patrik Puistola 

71 - Martin Hugo Has 

Scouting Report

Graceful two-way defenseman who sticks to the belief that defending and coverage are equally as important as rushing and distrubuting the puck. Soderstrom last season was carefully nurtured by Brynas in their under-18 junior team, as Adam Boqvist controlled the backline for the U20 squad. Now that Boqvist has moved on, it’s Soderstrom’s chance to take the reigns and prove himself to be an elite defense prospect. He’s gifted with the puck and has a commanding presence while orchestrating an attack from as far back as his own goal line. Soderstrom is a hard shooter with a whip-like release for his wrister, which is tough to handle and causes rebounds, especially during the power play.

Soderstrom is an excellent puck handler with soft hands and a quick-strike mentality — he always looks for a home-run option and can make accurate stretch passes immediately upon retrieval. He also skates the puck out with speed and confidence, and he creates end-to-end rushes that can place him deep into opposing territory. What separates Soderstrom from almost all draft prospects is that he can read plays extremely well, and he uses his quickness and elite backskating to limit the amount of times he gets trapped. Soderstrom is an excellent one-on-one defender and keeps an incredibly tight gap. He communicates effectively with his teammates, who can rely on Soderstrom to cover the slot and only support below the goal line if the situation is critical. There are times when he backs in too much while defending against an entry, but his quick first step, fast closing speed and active stick make life otherwise difficult for opposing puck carriers. He also can play on the penalty kill and will successfully challenge bigger forwards in the low slot or crease area. Soderstrom is very strong on his skates and can deliver jarring hits along the boards or in open ice. The Real Deal Holyfield with immense promise.

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Upvote 4

Craig Button has us picking Soderstrom in his latest mock post lottery draft.

1) NJ- Hughes 

2) NYR - Kakko

3) Chi- Podkolzin 

4) Col- Cozens

5) LA- Dach

6) Det- Byram

7) Buf- Boldy

8) Edm- Turcotte 

9) Ana- Broberg

10) Van- Soderstrom 

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-button-s-tsn-hockey-mock-draft-post-lottery-edition-1.1287914

27 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Craig Button has us picking Soderstrom in his latest mock post lottery draft.

1) NJ- Hughes 

2) NYR - Kakko

3) Chi- Podkolzin 

4) Col- Cozens

5) LA- Dach

6) Det- Byram

7) Buf- Boldy

8) Edm- Turcotte 

9) Ana- Broberg

10) Van- Soderstrom 

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-button-s-tsn-hockey-mock-draft-post-lottery-edition-1.1287914

Crazy no Zegras picked, I would love it , Canucks could get Zegras the USA version of EP40 ( maybe )

Edited by HockeyHarry

Best player available. Position is tertiary. I don’t know who that will be, but at this point I trust Bracket, Benning and the rest

of the scouting staff to pick the right guy.

Edited by Bitter Melon

44 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

It doesn’t appear that there is a player at pick number 10 that can play now, so Benning is going to have to makes trades or UFA signing to get better and that scares me.    Only thing I can see is a trade with someone like Tanev, Virtanen and our 1st to move up and grab a Byram maybe. 10 is a bad spot IMO.  Maybe Chicago?

It's not like the Canucks are on the cusp of truly competing for the cup right now anyways. They could potentially contend for a low playoff spot next year, but it's going to be at least 2-3+ years until they could be true contenders. By that time, whoever is picked should be ready to at least contribute, if not be a key top 6 or top 4 piece. 

47 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

It doesn’t appear that there is a player at pick number 10 that can play now, so Benning is going to have to makes trades or UFA signing to get better and that scares me.    Only thing I can see is a trade with someone like Tanev, Virtanen and our 1st to move up and grab a Byram maybe. 10 is a bad spot IMO.  Maybe Chicago?

So you'd rather have 11-15 instead? We'll get a good player at 10.

• Upvote 1

If the Canucks keep the pick then Soderstrom offers the best bang for the buck but Caufield is enticing as well with his elite scoring abilities. 

Although, the picks from around 6-14 are a bit of a crap shoot right now, I think there may be some teams going for the defensemen early on and the Canucks may have  a higher ranked forward fall into their laps at #10

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i’ve been counting everyones thought so far, 

boldy and soderstrom have 16 votes each, caulfield 9 and broberg 8. no one else has more than 4. 

is this scientific research?

If anything, it's probably a sign of who we won't draft so people will be outraged after our pick only to find out soon enough that Benning and Co made the better pick.