The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-NJD

They say no.

And honestly Id say no too. Keep our youth, don't mortgage the future for immediate improvements.

Honestly the only truly tradeable pieces we have this summer are Hutton, Sutter (maybe Beagle but I doubt it), Pearson, Granlund, Goldobin, Tanev.

Everyone and everything else either has no value (Eriksson, Spooner, Schaller, Biega, Pouliot) or is worth keeping as they are part of the future.

Shero is not trading 1st overall because that could also cost him Taylor Hall.  He said that his priority in the off-season is to add skills.  NJD has the work ethic and the speed - they have the right culture but not enough talent.

Taylor Hall yesterday said that he is not ready to talk extension because their team lacks talent.  He would like nothing more than to stay there,  but he wants to win and the team is just not skilled enough right now.   He wants to see what happens in the off-season before committing long term.  He jokingly said that winning the lottery would be a step in the right direction.  He knows Hughes from training with him in the summer.  

The Edmonton Journal has been referring to a study where performance is also accounted for to assign draft pick value.  That study concludes that: 

"The difference between drafting 10th and drafting 6th is about four second round picks. The difference between drafting 10th and winning the third overall pick in the lottery is nine second round picks. "

2 hours ago, Franz Liszt said:

To NJD:

Gaudette, Demko 10th OA, our 3 6ths

To VAN

Blackwood, 1st OA, their lowest 2nd

Demko OJ Virtanen and our 10th for the 1st. realistically i think. not saying that i would do it but thats probably what it would take.

Edited by TNucks1

3 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

Demko OJ Virtanen and our 10th for the 1st. realistically i think. not saying that i would do it but thats probably what it would take.

The 10th pick has 25% the value of 1st overall.  In other words 1st overall is the equivalent of 4x 10th overall.  Virtanen, Demko and OJ don't bridge that kind of gap.

4 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

They say no.

And honestly Id say no too. Keep our youth, don't mortgage the future for immediate improvements.

Honestly the only truly tradeable pieces we have this summer are Hutton, Sutter (maybe Beagle but I doubt it), Pearson, Granlund, Goldobin, Tanev.

Everyone and everything else either has no value (Eriksson, Spooner, Schaller, Biega, Pouliot) or is worth keeping as they are part of the future.

Is it mortgaging the future if we're getting a core piece of the future in return?

Gaudette, Madden, Juolevi, Woo, DiPietro, Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, etc

For me they are all expendable if the return is Hughes

Edited by Zoolander

2 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

I think maybe:

10th oa

horvat

markstrom

virtanen

for

1oa

schneider (cap dump/goalie swap)

Value-wise, that's probably close...but the reason 1st overall are never traded is because, both teams would reject that trade, even if value is spot on.  Only reasons to acquire 1st overall, would be to massively overpay, like adding 2020 and 2021, 1st rounders to that deal.

6 hours ago, mll said:

Shero is not trading 1st overall because that could also cost him Taylor Hall.  He said that his priority in the off-season is to add skills.  NJD has the work ethic and the speed - they have the right culture but not enough talent.

Taylor Hall yesterday said that he is not ready to talk extension because their team lacks talent.  He would like nothing more than to stay there,  but he wants to win and the team is just not skilled enough right now.   He wants to see what happens in the off-season before committing long term.  He jokingly said that winning the lottery would be a step in the right direction.  He knows Hughes from training with him in the summer.  

The Edmonton Journal has been referring to a study where performance is also accounted for to assign draft pick value.  That study concludes that: 

"The difference between drafting 10th and drafting 6th is about four second round picks. The difference between drafting 10th and winning the third overall pick in the lottery is nine second round picks. "

you have a link to that article? 

6 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

you have a link to that article? 

If you click on "draft pick value" in my initial post it brings you to the article (- sometimes it's just easier to link the articles that way as it takes less place) but here it is:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/its-worth-it-for-this-edmonton-oilers-team-not-to-tank-but-theres-a-high-price-attached

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mll said:

Thats an interesting article. If correct, it means that Petey would have been expected to have 44.8% of the value of Hischier, which is clearly not the case. But maybe overall when you account for all picks its a decent rule of thumb when thinking about trade values.

IMO there's just no scenario where we trade up to 1st or 2nd that doesn't involve Boeser. Its safe to say if people knew what they know now, Brock could easily have gone 10-12th overall. So thats upping his value by 3-4 2nd rounders according to the article. 

What I'm curious about is drafting skill - not the kids, the people selecting them. Is there enough information or scouting techniques out there, that a team could legitimately figure out who the next "Barzal" is? Or is that just not possible and kids have to emerge on their own and it comes down to some luck too? I'd love to be able to sit in on one of Brackett's scouting meetings to understand more about it. Seems like more art than science for a lot of teams.