The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-BUF

JM_

To Buffalo: Demko, 10th oa, Hutton, Leivo

To Van: Ristolainen, 7th oa

Buffalo gets a nice upgrade at goal most importantly for a guy we probably lose to Seattle, upgrade on LHD and Leivo provides some 3rd line depth upgrades for cheap, and clears out some cap space. 

Vancouver moves up to maybe get Byram and Risto upgrades the right side d offensively. 

We’re moving up in the draft and getting the best player, hard to tell if it’s fair. My gut says they say no. Nothing we’re giving up is really a loss. Hutton is 3rd pairing guy, expendable and an RFA, Leivo is a 3rd liner, Demko is unproven and our pick is worse than the one they are giving up.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko isn't getting exposed in the expansion draft and Byram won't be available at #7...

well we can only protect one goalie, and if Marky is the starter for the foreseeable future then its Demko who's out.

I've seen several scouting reports and mock drafts with Byram dropping that far. 

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

We’re moving up in the draft and getting the best player, hard to tell if it’s fair. My gut says they say no. Nothing we’re giving up is really a loss. Hutton is 3rd pairing guy, expendable and an RFA, Leivo is a 3rd liner, Demko is unproven and our pick is worse than the one they are giving up.

I'm assuming that Demko's stock is high to Buffalo. Its tough to find good goalies on the cheap. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well we can only protect one goalie, and if Marky is the starter for the foreseeable future then its Demko who's out.

I've seen several scouting reports and mock drafts with Byram dropping that far. 

Demko isn't getting exposed in the draft and Byram, the best defenceman in the draft, isn't falling to #7...

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko isn't getting exposed in the draft and Byram, the best defenceman in the draft, isn't falling to #7...

so you're confidently saying we're going to expose or trade Marky? 

Byrams also been ranked anywhere from 3 to 10 (http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/) you can't say for certain where he's going to go. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so you're confidently saying we're going to expose or trade Marky? 

Byrams also been ranked anywhere from 3 to 10 (http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/) you can't say for certain where he's going to go. 

Yes I am confident that our future #1 goalie will not be exposed in the expansion draft and that Marky will be re-signed and either traded in a year and a half or be left exposed.  Byram is the best defenceman in the draft.  He won't get past Detroit at #6 and should go in the top 4.  

Matthew Boldy should be available at #10.  I think he is the sleeper in the draft...

44 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Buffalo gets a nice upgrade at goal most importantly for a guy we probably lose to Seattle, upgrade on LHD and Leivo provides some 3rd line depth upgrades for cheap, and clears out some cap space. 

Vancouver moves up to maybe get Byram and Risto upgrades the right side d offensively. 

Losing Demko would be a tough one

But gaining Byram would be huge

Add a condition that Byram is still available

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I am confident that our future #1 goalie will not be exposed in the expansion draft and that Marky will be re-signed and either traded in a year and a half or be left exposed.  Byram is the best defenceman in the draft.  He won't get past Detroit at #6 and should go in the top 4.  

Matthew Boldy should be available at #10.  I think he is the sleeper in the draft...

sure but look at Arizona, Detroit and even MTL to some degree - all going with selections no one thought they would. 

I know its a long shot. Just trying to look at a possible trade up scenario, I can't see any way we move up further than the 7 spot at best. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

IMO

Risto ­­> Demko, Hutton and Leivo

7th > 10th

Not sure why Buffalo would do this

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but look at Arizona, Detroit and even MTL to some degree - all going with selections no one thought they would. 

I know its a long shot. Just trying to look at a possible trade up scenario, I can't see any way we move up further than the 7 spot at best. 

I think if Benning wants to move up it would be at #3 or #4 not #7.  The Russian dude and Byram could be the guys that Benning would most likely be targeting and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg like going after Hughes or Kakko.  Dach is another player worth watching but he won't be available at #7 either.

I like Byram but he's a LHD and we have plenty of LHD in our system right now plus we will most likely be re-signing Edler to a 3-4 year deal.  So I don't personally think he is a good fit for us and worth losing assets for to move up in the draft.  The Russian dude is intriguing as from what I read he is just as talented as Hughes and Kakko without the hype.  Obviously there has been some risks involved with some of these Russian players in the past, but this guy Podkolzin looks like a beauty.  He may be as good as Kakko...

tu.be/ZPnnr7N4QyA

23 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

IMO

Risto ­­> Demko, Hutton and Leivo

7th > 10th

Not sure why Buffalo would do this

I don't have the link handy, but its based on reports that Buffalo has soured a bit on Risto so they might see enough value to make the move. 

Hutty does help them on the left side as well, sure not a game breaker but better is better. 

It beats my other idea:

Lucic + 8th oa for Loui +10th oa :lol:

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think if Benning wants to move up it would be at #3 or #4 not #7.  The Russian dude and Byram could be the guys that Benning would most likely be targeting and wouldn't cost an arm and a leg like going after Hughes or Kakko.  Dach is another player worth watching but he won't be available at #7 either.

I like Byram but he's a LHD and we have plenty of LHD in our system right now plus we will most likely be re-signing Edler to a 3-4 year deal.  So I don't personally think he is a good fit for us and worth losing assets for to move up in the draft.  The Russian dude is intriguing as from what I read he is just as talented as Hughes and Kakko without the hype.  Obviously there has been some risks involved with some of these Russian players in the past, but this guy Podkolzin looks like a beauty.  He may be as good as Kakko...

N4QyA

I wonder if Goldy would suddenly find his game if we got this kid :P

At 10 I really like Soderstrom too, fits a lot of need if the scouting reports are accurate. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Couldn't we give Marky a contract that makes him a UFA for Seattle? Then we could protect Demko and we'd just need to have another goalie that we can expose (need a non-UFA that fits the criteria).

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if Goldy would suddenly find his game if we got this kid :P

At 10 I really like Soderstrom too, fits a lot of need if the scouting reports are accurate. 

Podkolzin looks like Goldy but with an edge and some physicality and looks like he actually has somewhat of a defensive game.  I think he is the sleeper in this draft to be honest. Could be a perfect right winger for BO and Pearson.  Chicago might bite on a trade to move up to #3, not sure what we'd have to add along with #10 but it would be a lot less than moving up to #1 or #2...

How about ...

BUF: Markstrom + Goldy + Tanev 

VAN: 7th OVA + Risto

PS.  I'm bad at trades...so don't hold that against me. :P

Reasons: 

I view BUF having almost all the pieces but need better goaltending and depth.  The above should help them push for a playoff spot next year.  VAN is a few years away and still needs a few more pieces as well.  The added youth (Risto + high draft pick) should help VAN in a few years in much needed positions.  The concern is if Demko can handle a split workload or can immediately assume the #1 mantle.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Not true we can protect both

Assuming this expansion draft is like the last expansion draft you were able to protect 7 forwards 3 dmen and 1 goalie. Or 8 players at any position so both can be protected. 

And by then eriksons contract will be a limited ntc so he could be exposed. 

This is obviously if Marky or demko don’t get traded by then. 

2 hours ago, c00kies said:

Couldn't we give Marky a contract that makes him a UFA for Seattle? Then we could protect Demko and we'd just need to have another goalie that we can expose (need a non-UFA that fits the criteria).

we could but we have to have at least one available under contract so we'd have to go get another goalie just for that purpose - assuming we didn't go the 8 player route. 

Archived