The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-BUF

JM_

39 minutes ago, Bure1010 said:

Not true we can protect both

Assuming this expansion draft is like the last expansion draft you were able to protect 7 forwards 3 dmen and 1 goalie. Or 8 players at any position so both can be protected. 

And by then eriksons contract will be a limited ntc so he could be exposed. 

This is obviously if Marky or demko don’t get traded by then. 

good point, that is an option. But it will expose another good player for sure, including any free agents we get this year (assuming no one gets a NMC).

Marky

Demko

Bo

Boeser

Petey

Gaudette

Jake

Juolevi

Hughes wont need protection.

1 hour ago, BPA said:

How about ...

BUF: Markstrom + Goldy + Tanev 

VAN: 7th OVA + Risto

PS.  I'm bad at trades...so don't hold that against me. :P

Reasons: 

I view BUF having almost all the pieces but need better goaltending and depth.  The above should help them push for a playoff spot next year.  VAN is a few years away and still needs a few more pieces as well.  The added youth (Risto + high draft pick) should help VAN in a few years in much needed positions.  The concern is if Demko can handle a split workload or can immediately assume the #1 mantle.

That would make space to land Bobrovsky as well. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good point, that is an option. But it will expose another good player for sure, including any free agents we get this year (assuming no one gets a NMC).

Marky

Demko

Bo

Boeser

Petey

Gaudette

Jake

Juolevi

Hughes wont need protection.

I would prefer not to have to only protect 8 players. Hopefully demko turns into the stud everyone hopes and we get something good for Marky. Or if someone absolutely blows our doors off with an offer for demko and Marky is our guy for the foreseeable future. But would hope for the latter

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well we can only protect one goalie, and if Marky is the starter for the foreseeable future then its Demko who's out.

I've seen several scouting reports and mock drafts with Byram dropping that far. 

Markstrom’s contract will be over before the expansion draft so we can leave him unprotected and keep Demko.

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Markstrom’s contract will be over before the expansion draft so we can leave him unprotected and keep Demko.

we'll have to pick up and/or extend a guy like Bachman to meet the expansion requirements but that should be easy enough. 

33 minutes ago, Pears said:

Markstrom is a UFA next summer so unless Benning only extends him for one additional year which I doubt Marky agrees to then this is not going to work...

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we could but we have to have at least one available under contract so we'd have to go get another goalie just for that purpose - assuming we didn't go the 8 player route. 

Yeah, but a lot of teams did that last expansion draft, even we did with Bachman. It doesn't take much to get one either.

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not if we extend him, which appears quite likely.

We could sign him to a one year contract so we can protect Demko for the draft, and then re-sign him after if DiPietro still needs some seasoning in the AHL. 

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

We could sign him to a one year contract so we can protect Demko for the draft, and then re-sign him after if DiPietro still needs some seasoning in the AHL. 

Why would Markstrom agree to a one year deal?

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

If he wants to stay here which I assume he does then that would allow us to not immediately re-sign him and be able to protect Demko. 

Vancouver would love to give him a one year deal to see if he can keep up his recent play for a full season. Markstrom could take the chance and prove he's the real deal and get 2M per year. I'm curious to see what Vancouver will do if Demko is exposed.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] VAN-BUF

Archived