The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Astronomers Capture First Image of a Black Hole

prix57

13 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

It was nice knowing you all:(. We will be sucked in before the Canucks win the Cup (or draft lottery for that matter)

I just learned this today, but black holes supposedly don't suck things in.  Their gravitational pull can pull things in, however,because they are so dense/heavy.  For instance, if a black hole the same mass as the sun suddenly replaced the sun, the Earth would continue to orbit around the black hole as if it were the sun.  It wouldn't get pulled in.

34 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I just learned this today, but black holes supposedly don't suck things in.  Their gravitational pull can pull things in, however,because they are so dense/heavy.  For instance, if a black hole the same mass as the sun suddenly replaced the sun, the Earth would continue to orbit around the black hole as if it were the sun.  It wouldn't get pulled in.

And all life on Earth would die due to the lack of heat or light. And the black hole being spoken of is roughly 6,000,000,000 the mass of the sun, so that mofo is sucking us in long and hard.

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And all life on Earth would die due to the lack of heat or light. And the black hole being spoken of is roughly 6,000,000,000 the mass of the sun, so that mofo is sucking us in long and hard.

I like my black holes like I like my wom... :bigblush:

What you’re looking at really is the effect of a black hole on its environment. Light silhouette around a black hole.

About 5 times the Schwarzschild radii

It’s very neat that Schwarzschild just randomly happened upon an Einstein paper while in 1916 in the German trenches at the Russian front. Being so captivated he apparently neglected his job calculating artillery fire and used Einstein’s ideas, math and relativity to figure it out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_radius

Our sun would be about a few kilometres across if it was to collapse down to a black hole.

Lots of this info is in the video I posted. It’s really good.

6 minutes ago, Violator said:

Arent black holes just theoretical.

Many people mistake the difference between hypothetical, and theoretical.

A hypothesis is just an idea.

A theory is a hypothesis that is proven with open source, replicable methods and data.

Its a near assurity that there can be so much matter compacted into an area, that it overcomes gravity and nothing, not even data, can escape it.  The math said so, hypothetically, and now, there is evidence to make it an actual theory.

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

A theory is a hypothesis that is proven with open source, replicable methods and data.

Its a near assurity that there can be so much matter compacted into an area, that it overcomes gravity and nothing, not even data, can escape it.  The math said so, hypothetically, and now, there is evidence to make it an actual theory.

Talking about what a black hole actually does.Versus what we think it does.

19 minutes ago, xereau said:

ouch my head hurts now

is this a response to why a hockey puck is black ?

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Mmmmm i would fact check that. You might be correct, and it may just be light sucked in. Or that with no sun there is no light to reflect. 

Interesting perspective either way, but who’s to say whats really happening trillions of light years away? 

Archived