The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 5 US Political Issues (discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

This is a thread to discuss the US issues, and not Trump, and although, I understand he is front and center, let's at least keep our opinion of Trump out of this even if you have to have to discuss a Trump issue......

My Top 5 Issues …….The American people want addressed impartially...….

1. Infiltration into the US Political Elections by either Foreign or Domestic Powers

Has a foreign government or domestic power, attempted to changed the vote on the US Federal election...…..by means of voter fraud, vote count manipulation or voter manipulation?

This should be a fundamental concern of every American, as it reaches into the very fibre of American Democracy, and sole.

2. Jobs/Trade

What has the current government done to increase jobs in the US?

3. Health Care

This is a issue on par with the above 2 issue, and is up in front, with most Americans

4. Border Control and immigration

The Americans I have talked to all agree that border control is important, and that the government should just not allow immigrants to free wheel over the border

( this is an issue for both Dems and Reps alike, the answer is where they get bogged down)

5. Foreign Affairs

How is the USA seen abroad, what influence does it have abroad, and how are Americans Ideals seen abroad?

Personally, I am so against the current administration, and its policies, but if grading a report card of major issues, I feel they are only slightly loosing, and I can see where it could be easily construed that they are actually winning most issues...…..

Again, ignore the Elephant in the room and look at the issues

#1...….they are loosing on ethics alone, and it is a huge issue, IMO, this may end up being the reason they loose the next election (fail)

#2...….They are certainly winning this issue short term wise.....and as we know, instant gratification is the norm today. (pass)

#3...….the Republican base is shrinking on this issue alone, and they will have to come up with a reasonable solution) (fail)

#4...….Although, the issue is being treated inhumanly in some cases, would you want the mass of people coming across the Canadian Border, anymore than they do?(pass)

#5...….The US power base abroad is again eroding, with aggressive Foreign policy, which is all to transparent, do they win in the long run? (Fail)

In my opinion, this is a very close race, on the issues alone. The Republicans will argue, that Jobs and Immigration have improved, Democrats will argue, at what cost? On Health care, most will want universal health care, but few will want to pay for it, it is not as slam dunk as one might think, and the Republicans are creating fear about cost, which are scaring some mid-ground voters. The ethics of the Republican party are being paraded around, with reckless abandon, but as I see it, the Americans, although not in favor, will ignore this issue, as long as there is jobs to be had at home.

Most, if not all Americans, disagree with the Republicans style, but have a hard time arguing their results...…...

I would love to hear your comments, if you can stay away from talking about their leader, and stick to the premise of Post...……..

Note* I find it ironically humorous, the largest issue, is not the erosion of their Democracy, and institutions, but it doesn't seem to be forefront in their discussions. Basically, the Washington brain trust is being torn down, in front of everyone's eye's, with little concern for it...…...IMO, that is unbelievable.

Please jump in if you feel strong about this.

25 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

This is a thread to discuss the US issues, and not Trump, and although, I understand he is front and center, let's at least keep our opinion of Trump out of this even if you have to have to discuss a Trump issue......

Good luck with that jan.......

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Um....yeah, that seems highly suspect. There aren't even 40 names listed on your source, much less 214 (40% of 435 congress members and 100 senators). 

Job done, it got your attention :)

13 Senate

27 HOR

All Democrats

Edited by 6string
ttls

I am hoping you under estimate the intelligence of a majority of Americans who want/need a change from the type of government the current administration has provided.

The issues you stated are very real, however at the end of the day I like to believe a change will come due to a rejection of DJT's authoritarian sytle. This assumes of course the Dems come up with the right competitive candidate who promotes reasonable approach to these and other serious issues. Also the current powers that be protect the electoral system to avoid a repeat of the level of interference in the process that was experienced during the 2016 election campaigns.

1 minute ago, 6string said:

Job done, it got your attention :)

Not really. I just think you read some highly suspect blogs now. 

Here was my reaction reading it originally. 

23 minutes ago, 6string said:

AIPAC must register as a foreign lobby.

Yeah, I agree.

Israeli American dual passport holder should be forbidden to run for public office, currently there are more than 40% sitting in congress and senate.

LOL, WTF? That's not even close to approaching reality. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Not really. I just think you read some highly suspect blogs now. 

Here was my reaction reading it originally. 

Pretty sad though America allows this to happen at any level unless of course you think it is fine.

So Russian, Iranian and Chinese dual passport holders will be allowed to run too?

Personally, I'm sick to death of politicians talking about the world as if technology doesn't exist, or isn't a massive looming threat over most of the western world

There's an entire class of people whose jobs are currently in the process of being trivialized, if not already trivialized, by AI and machines, and yet there is an active head-in-the-ground approach to this for many. Or, worse, governments will stifle a company's technology for the sake of maintaining jobs because jobs = votes, because there is no alternative for those people.

So help establish the alternative. Instead of the same old "job creation rhetoric" why don't we just embrace technology and figure out a new way to deal with the subsequent unemployment? Free education, free job training, living wages, etc.

Furthermore, there also needs to be far more oversight into how these tech companies operate - tax them more, require a high degree of transparency, create a new tech-heavy agency that's role is to maintain and investigate that transparency. If our data is valuable, then we should, as individuals, be profiting from it - not companies.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm with @DADDYROCK

Climate Change is the #1 issue in my book. The fact that so many people still believe the misinformation campaign to discredit it, is mind boggling to me.

You know Rupert

I am totally with you. I have worked in the environmental field for 30 years, maybe even 40 years.....if I really want to count.....

But I am a environrealist = environmentalist + realist

Because, there is no reversing from where we are now, only slow down, until we invent another cheap fuel source

I am not saying we shouldn't try, but man...….you first! LOL 

The truth is because of the worlds population, and it's dependency on fossil fuels, we are screwed...…...

Otherwise, everyone will be huddled around the equator, naked and starving...……….everyone

Unless, you want to be a realist and an environmentalist, but everyone I have ever talked to has their own opinion to what they will accept and what they won't

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

You know Rupert

I am totally with you. I have worked in the environmental field for 30 years, maybe even 40 years.....if I really want to count.....

But I am a environrealist = environmentalist + realist

Because, there is no reversing from where we are now, only slow down, until we invent another cheap fuel source

I am not saying we shouldn't try, but man...….you first! LOL 

The truth is because of the worlds population, and it's dependency on fossil fuels, we are screwed...…...

Otherwise, everyone will be huddled around the equator, naked and starving...……….everyone

Unless, you want to be a realist and an environmentalist, but everyone I have ever talked to has their own opinion to what they will accept and what they won't

There's not a lot the average Joe can do....drive a Prius if you can afford it. Take public transportation if you can't. (at least as much as possible)

The big trick is getting governments onboard. It's disheartening to see all of these CC deniers in control of some of the worst offenders. All we can do is hope that the Dems get the vote out. (nothing we can do about Brazil, unfortunately)

I'll say this about US environmentalism ……...I went to a Green Marine Conference in Quebec City...….

It was a big one, where we had people from all the major Ports in the US and Canada, including Cape Canaveral 

And these were a lot of Government people and they all want to make a difference, and are trying to feaverishly

So, this does apply to all south of the boarder......but I think it is kind of a 33% that believe what Trump says, 333% that don't care, and 33% that do

And it matters, whether is food on the table mostly...…….

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

There's not a lot the average Joe can do....drive a Prius if you can afford it. Take public transportation if you can't. (at least as much as possible)

The big trick is getting governments onboard. It's disheartening to see all of these CC deniers in control of some of the worst offenders. All we can do is hope that the Dems get the vote out. (nothing we can do about Brazil, unfortunately)

5,000,000 people in BC...……..take away their plastics, metals, and fuel, and we all either freeze to death or die of starvation after we eat all the horses

I laugh at all the wanta bees...……….you are either a vigin or you are not...……….no such thing as almost.....lol

• Upvote 1