The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals re-sign Nic Dowd

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

So, Washington got Dowd for 4 years for less than the price of what we paid Beagle for 1.

That sucks how Beagle's paycheque comes out of your bank account, sorry to hear that man. 

1 minute ago, Aladeen said:

That sucks how Beagle's paycheque comes out of your bank account, sorry to hear that man. 

:wacko:

It comes out of my team's cap space. Not an issue now, but when EP & QH need extensions, it very well could be.

12 minutes ago, D-Money said:

So, Washington got Dowd for 4 years for less than the price of what we paid Beagle for 1.

And Beagle is at least 2 times the player Dowd is. While I'm extremely happy for Dowd, and he has done well. Beagle is the better player. So he gets paid accordingly. 

15 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

And Beagle is at least 2 times the player Dowd is. While I'm extremely happy for Dowd, and he has done well. Beagle is the better player. So he gets paid accordingly. 

Beagle is really good at what he does. Also a terrific person. 

But he’s overpaid. About $1.5M per overpaid. But that’s free agency for ya.

21 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Beagle may be "better in the room", "a good influence", etc. But almost every measurable stat out there rates his affect on the ice as not much different than Dowd, or almost any other career 4th liner. And it is certainly ironic that Washington replaced Beagle with our 4th line center from last season, for such a small salary, and haven't seemed to miss a beat.

I'm not saying it was a terrible signing. Perhaps his intangibles will end up making a significant difference...as a fan I cannot tell. However, at the same time I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend his contract is no problem whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Beagle may be "better in the room", "a good influence", etc. But almost every measurable stat out there rates his affect on the ice as not much different than Dowd, or almost any other career 4th liner. And it is certainly ironic that Washington replaced Beagle with our 4th line center from last season, for such a small salary, and haven't seemed to miss a beat.

I'm not saying it was a terrible signing. Perhaps his intangibles will end up making a significant difference...as a fan I cannot tell. However, at the same time I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend his contract is no problem whatsoever.

You don't have to pretend its not a problem when its actually not a problem

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

:wacko:

It comes out of my team's cap space. Not an issue now, but when EP & QH need extensions, it very well could be.

we have like 30 mill in cap next yr  and 9 more when tanev and sutter are gone  thats enough to resign boeser petey and quinn and a few free agents 

46 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Beagle took almost twice the faceoffs of Dowd, won a significantly higher percentage, nearly 4 more minutes per game, and plays a way more important role from the 4th line.  Not even a comparison, and if Dowd was still here, we are a much worse team.  Beagle was a smart signing.  His contract, and career end just as the rest of this core begin their primes.  He could have gone elsewhere.  He came here.  What a warrior.  Your concern trolling is very shallow.  Try more weight.

57 minutes ago, D-Money said:

His contract is no problem. If it ends up being a problem, that means whoever is managing cap for Canucks should be fired. 

I've never heard of a 3 million dollar contract becoming a deal breaker for any team in the league. 

Heck, even Loui Eriksson's contract may not end up to be much of a problem. Beagle's contract sure as heck won't be a problem. No need to get stressed over it.

Beagle was with Washington for nearly 10 seasons as a 4C. First, how many 4C's last that long on such a deep team and two, how many 4C's get a video tribute and a standing O when they return? He must have been doing something right.

@oldnews, Canucks should’ve tried to sign him right?

...3x3, he seems a really good player. I’m sure his production would translate right over from one of the best teams with the best depth to a bottom feeder like the Canucks!

o wait, Dowd played for us and sucked. Beagle’s production didn’t translate for us and dropped. Dowd’s magically went up. But hey, I bet if we sign that Connolly kid he’ll continue to have more than his 1 40pt campaign :bigblush:

27 minutes ago, xereau said:

Beagle took almost twice the faceoffs of Dowd, won a significantly higher percentage, nearly 4 more minutes per game, and plays a way more important role from the 4th line.  Not even a comparison, and if Dowd was still here, we are a much worse team.  Beagle was a smart signing.  His contract, and career end just as the rest of this core begin their primes.  He could have gone elsewhere.  He came here.  What a warrior.  Your concern trolling is very shallow.  Try more weight.

I am a fan of the team, who is legitimately concerned about this contract. That is not "trolling".

Sure, as a 33 year-old, he was a better 4th liner than some guy who made 1/4 of his salary...when he was playing, anyway (he missed over 30% of the season due to injury). But the stats clearly show he's not good enough to play up the line-up right now. And as he progresses into his 30's, he is extremely likely to get less effective on the ice, and more injury-prone. And in the meantime, his salary may inflate the asking prices of other players, as a comparable.

I expect the last year of Beagle's contract will have to be bought out. That means for the first 2 years of Pettersson and Hughes' next contract, we'll have an extra million of dead cap space...which is when I suspect we'll be ready to compete in the playoffs. It's not a huge deal, but it's still a deal.

well let's all just get on the easy bandwagon

of saying it is ok to pay the lower 6 forwards way way under what should be an average annual salary

when using basic math and a cap of 80 million / 24 players that should be slightly over 3 million

seems to me a solid seasoned vet should make near that 

but everyone appears to accept that bottom 6 makes under 2 million per season

and is ok with top end elite gouging for the highest salary possible

i accept that is life

but we have some say about life too

and certainly can comment about where things appear to be going in professional sports

it is a team game.. salary is part of that team game

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I am a fan of the team, who is legitimately concerned about this contract. That is not "trolling".

Sure, as a 33 year-old, he was a better 4th liner than some guy who made 1/4 of his salary...when he was playing, anyway (he missed over 30% of the season due to injury). But the stats clearly show he's not good enough to play up the line-up right now. And as he progresses into his 30's, he is extremely likely to get less effective on the ice, and more injury-prone. And in the meantime, his salary may inflate the asking prices of other players, as a comparable.

I expect the last year of Beagle's contract will have to be bought out. That means for the first 2 years of Pettersson and Hughes' next contract, we'll have an extra million of dead cap space...which is when I suspect we'll be ready to compete in the playoffs. It's not a huge deal, but it's still a deal.

Just my opinion... but I believe there is an almost zero percent chance Beagle's contract gets bought out. The only reason that it's not at zero is cause you say it as though you expect it to happen and perhaps have information I don't on the matter. I guess we will see. 

24 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

@oldnews, Canucks should’ve tried to sign him right?

...3x3, he seems a really good player. I’m sure his production would translate right over from one of the best teams with the best depth to a bottom feeder like the Canucks!

o wait, Dowd played for us and sucked. Beagle’s production didn’t translate for us and dropped. Dowd’s magically went up. But hey, I bet if we sign that Connolly kid he’ll continue to have more than his 1 40pt campaign :bigblush:

57 minutes ago, xereau said:

Beagle’s production only “dropped” because of a broken arm. With a Stanley Cup champion Washington team Beagle was a .28 ppg player. On a Vancouver team that finished 22nd he was a .23 ppg player not that steep of a drop off considering quality of teams.

Also judging Beagle on just point production is silly as he is a more round and defensively focused player. Dowd isn't as good defensively nor is he as good on the faceoff circle. Beagle>Dowd and it's not even close. 

If there was an offseason FA “bidding war” over Dowd he MIGHT get a 900K deal. That tells you right there which player commands more value.

Beagle even turned down a slightly higher offer to come to Vancouver because he respected that Vancouver was the first to call him and discuss their plan and where he fit and fought to get him. Was mentioned on the 31 thoughts podcast with Friedeman 

I am honestly pretty surprised to see people defend the contract that much. I thought it was pretty universally accepted that he was overpaid. I like the guy, and don't think the contract will be a big issue. But it's obviously an overpay. I think it's possible to defend the player without defending the contract. 

We paid a 4th liner a 3rd liner salary because we liked him a lot and wanted that particular skill set. Nothing necessarily wrong with that. Similar move to us offering Dorsett 2.5M, or Montreal offering Prust 2.5M. You identify a 4th liner that you really like, then you overpay him by 1.5M on a 4 year contract. Can end up nicely, as it did with Dorsett. But can also age poorly, as 4th liners tend to do. 

It is an intentional targeted overpay because they identified the tools/culture they wanted and were willing to splash money on. But it is certainly an overpay. 

2 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

I am honestly pretty surprised to see people defend the contract that much. I thought it was pretty universally accepted that he was overpaid. I like the guy, and don't think the contract will be a big issue. But it's obviously an overpay. I think it's possible to defend the player without defending the contract. 

We paid a 4th liner a 3rd liner salary because we liked him a lot and wanted that particular skill set. Nothing necessarily wrong with that. Similar move to us offering Dorsett 2.5M, or Montreal offering Prust 2.5M. You identify a 4th liner that you really like, then you overpay him by 1.5M on a 4 year contract. Can end up nicely, as it did with Dorsett. But can also age poorly, as 4th liners tend to do. 

It is an intentional targeted overpay because they identified the tools/culture they wanted and were willing to splash money on. But it is certainly an overpay. 

All FA in bidding wars get overpaid. Beagle turned down a higher offer to come here too. So he's not that much overpaid if someone was willing to pay more. 

Think Lucic isn't overpaid? When 5-10+ teams are making bids prices go up, some more than others. 

Honestly I don't even find Beagle to be overpaid by too much maybe 1 year too long and 500K too much objectively speaking. When you consider everything he brings to the table beyond scoring, he's certainly not overpaid by 1.5 million as some suggest. 

Archived