The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Target one of these wingers

Benning has mentioned that a top 6 forward is an offseason priority. In my opinion there's no better team to target than Toronto. There is no way they'll be able to keep Kapanen, Andreas Johnsson, and Nylander.

Since they'll be in a jam, they likely won't be able to get full value in a trade and may be willing to take picks over players. All 3 of them are young, fast and skilled. I'd lean towards Nylander. Only 22, locked up for a while and the most skilled of the 3. Tanev and the 2020 first rounder might do it. Otherwise Kapenen would be a solid option. Either one could slot in on the Horvat line with Pearson on the left side. That would leave Petey with Boeser and Leivo. Pretty solid top two lines for the next few years. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, IslandCanuck89 said:

Benning has mentioned that a top 6 forward is an offseason priority. In my opinion there's no better team to target than Toronto. There is no way they'll be able to keep Kapanen, Andreas Johnsson, and Nylander.

Since they'll be in a jam, they likely won't be able to get full value in a trade and may be willing to take picks over players. All 3 of them are young, fast and skilled. I'd lean towards Nylander. Only 22, locked up for a while and the most skilled of the 3. Tanev and the 2020 first rounder might do it. Otherwise Kapenen would be a solid option. Either one could slot in on the Horvat line with Pearson on the left side. That would leave Petey with Boeser and Leivo. Pretty solid top two lines for the next few years. 

Totally not against this, except the idea of having Pearson and Leivo on those lines.   It would be a lot nicer to have them on a 3rd line with some scoring touch.

We should make these moves plus add a UFA.  

Lee-Petterson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Kapenen

Leivo-Gaudette-Pearson

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

MacEwan in until Christmas covering Roussel’s injury on the 4th line 

Edited by Provost

43 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I would rather keep the picks

Marner is probably better than any 1st round picks this team will have coming in the next two seasons, and any 2nd and 3rd.

He is turning into a super star.

Offer sheet cost:

Over $8,118,641 to $10,148,302 (2) 1st, 2nd, 3rd
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, xereau said:

Marner is probably better than any 1st round picks this team will have coming in the next two seasons, and any 2nd and 3rd.

Offer sheet cost:

I'm impatient too but those picks will be what allows the canucks to compete long term for the cup. tieing up 35m in Marner Pete Boeser Hughes will make this team cap top heavy without kids on elc's filling out the depth chart nux will be a paper tiger. 

4 hours ago, xereau said:

Offer sheet cost:

Lots of marketing exposure in Toronto - his side will probably take that loss in income in consideration.

The compensation is calculated over max 5 years.  So if a player gets 10M x 7 years - the lookup table is 70M / 5 which is 4 x 1st round picks.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mll said:

Lots of marketing exposure in Toronto - his side will probably take that loss in income in consideration.

The compensation is calculated over max 5 years.  So if a player gets 10M x 7 years - the lookup table is 70M / 5 which is 4 x 1st round picks.

So offer 10.1x 5?  That takes Mitch into early UFA years too.  Risky, but still worth, IMO. He is an unbelievable talent.  Most complete winger I have seen in a long time.

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Offer sheet Puljujarvi

This might be a good idea the oilers could be giving up on him, also they have cap issues that we won’t for a couple years.

i wouldn’t want to give up a 1st though so you could only offer 4 million which might not be enough.  4 million for two years might be ok.

Edited by brian42

48 minutes ago, brian42 said:

This might be a good idea the oilers could be giving up on him, also they have cap issues that we won’t for a couple years.

i wouldn’t want to give up a 1st though so you could only offer 4 million which might not be enough.  4 million for two years might be ok.

That team has cap issues and we have a ton of cap space. The money doesn’t matter really. The compensation is what matters. I’d gamble 2nd round compensation on Puljujarvi.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

That team has cap issues and we have a ton of cap space. The money doesn’t matter really. The compensation is what matters. I’d gamble 2nd round compensation on Puljujarvi.

I wouldn’t gamble ANYTHING on Poolparty!

• Upvote 1