The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Target one of these wingers

At this stage we need to start thinning out our F stocks. We really don’t need ANOTHER project! We need something more proven, esp if it’s costing picks. Only player mentioned that I would be keen on is Kapanen. Perfect fit as 2RW on Bo’s line with Pearson!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

At this stage we need to start thinning out our F stocks. We really don’t need ANOTHER project! We need something more proven, esp if it’s costing picks. Only player mentioned that I would be keen on is Kapanen. Perfect fit as 2RW on Bo’s line with Pearson!

I think you ideally need a guy with more skill on that line than Kapanen. Kapanen is a great straight line skater and can score but doesn't create a ton for others. I'd compare him to a Virtanen with more hockey sense but he played on the leafs top line with a lot more talent (Matthews) which inflated his stats. 

That's why I'd lean towards Nylander. Horvat and Pearson will provide the grit and Nylander will complement them with his natural playmaking ability and puck possession. Kapanen's contract will likely look quite similar to Nylander. I think he'll require $6M AAV so the cap hit will basically be a wash.

Nylander didn't have a great year with his holdout etc but came on strong once he got back into game shape and played well last night in game 1.

Take a look at his first two full seasons in the league, matched Horvat's career high in both seasons. 

22g 39a 61pts 81gp

20g 41a 61pts 82gp

10 hours ago, xereau said:

So offer 10.1x 5?  That takes Mitch into early UFA years too.  Risky, but still worth, IMO. He is an unbelievable talent.  Most complete winger I have seen in a long time.

There aren’t many players that an offer sheet would be worth it, but this is definitely a case to try one.

No idea if he signs it, or if Toronto matches.

Ideally though, another team makes the offer sheet, Toronto matches, then we are there to help take other players off their hands at a discount so they can fit under the cap.

9 hours ago, brian42 said:

This might be a good idea the oilers could be giving up on him, also they have cap issues that we won’t for a couple years.

i wouldn’t want to give up a 1st though so you could only offer 4 million which might not be enough.  4 million for two years might be ok.

Na if were going after Poolparty its gotta be via trade. I'm not paying him 4m and giving up picks when he cant crack the Oilers who are desperate for wingers. 

I think we wait until his value bottoms out and re asses. He has oiler taint all over him.

16 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

The Leafs themselves will offer him 10 a year lol

He’s primed to make at least $11m. He’s the best player on their team + the heart and soul. Can make an easy case to be the highest paid Leaf.

Still have to try man.  He IS their best player.  By miles.  And they are in cap trouble.  Force their hand one way or another.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, xereau said:

Still have to try man.  He IS their best player.  By miles.  And they are in cap trouble.  Force their hand one way or another.

Yea but $10m offersheet would be helping the Leafs.

/no way Marner would accept the offersheet anyways. He’s getting more than that. Hypothetically if he did, Leafs match instantly and thank the Canucks ::D

On 4/12/2019 at 12:15 AM, flickyoursedin said:

That team has cap issues and we have a ton of cap space. The money doesn’t matter really. The compensation is what matters. I’d gamble 2nd round compensation on Puljujarvi.

So would I.  Makes a lot of sense and with a temporary management group there you don’t have to worry about too much bad blood and it’s kind of irrelevant as Edm/Van trades are rare unless Chia/Benning are at the helm.

2nd for Pool Party is a risk you take.  If you’be seem him play he actually plays a lot like Horvat.  Speed and drive to the net.

Pearson Horvat Puljujarvi is a nice second line.

On 4/12/2019 at 9:23 AM, hammertime said:

Na if were going after Poolparty its gotta be via trade. I'm not paying him 4m and giving up picks when he cant crack the Oilers who are desperate for wingers. 

I think we wait until his value bottoms out and re asses. He has oiler taint all over him.

Doing a trade is better than an offer sheet I agree.  His value now is at its lowest.  If he makes a jump in production, he would become untouchable I bet.  Now is the time.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Doing a trade is better than an offer sheet I agree.  His value now is at its lowest.  If he makes a jump in production, he would become untouchable I bet.  Now is the time.

Maybe Puliarrvi is a bustaroo?  He doesn’t really seem to have any hockey sense or passion 

Just now, Alflives said:

Maybe Puliarrvi is a bustaroo?  He doesn’t really seem to have any hockey sense or passion 

I think he’s just a young player in a bad environment with nobody knowing how to develop young players.  Green plus leaders like Horvat make the difference.  He has all the tools so I would take the risk.  Also think if you have Joulevi on the team (plus my ongoing recommendation of Risto) you have a former teammate and countryman for familiarity.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

He is RFA this year because Edmonton are dumb so if we trade for him we have to play him we can't cook him in the AHL to repair his confidence. I really don't know man I wouldn't offer much. 

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

He is RFA this year because Edmonton are dumb so if we trade for him we have to play him we can't cook him in the AHL to repair his confidence. I really don't know man I wouldn't offer much. 

Yeah they really messed that up.  I think he’s repairable in a positive NHL environment but there certainly is risk.  To me these are the type of moderate risk (2nd or 3rd pick or Sutter with retention) for a potential high impact forward in 2 years.

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Yeah they really messed that up.  I think he’s repairable in a positive NHL environment but there certainly is risk.  To me these are the type of moderate risk (2nd or 3rd pick or Sutter with retention) for a potential high impact forward in 2 years.

I'd do something like Goldobin and a 3rd which I feel is a better deal than they got for Nail.  

The Oilers received forward prospect Zach Pochiro and a conditional third-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft that will become a second-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft if Yakupov scores at least 15 goals for the Blues this season.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'd do something like Goldobin and a 3rd which I feel is a better deal than they got for Nail.  

The Oilers received forward prospect Zach Pochiro and a conditional third-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft that will become a second-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft if Yakupov scores at least 15 goals for the Blues this season.

I’d be all for that if they went for it.

8 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I’d be all for that if they went for it.

I feel like JB won't qualify Goldobin so trading a defensive liability to a div rival is a double +. Goldy would be 5th on their team in fwd scoring that's how bad their depth is. The only real cost to the canucks would be a 3rd rnd pick I can handle that. I don't think EDM is quite ready to pull the plug yet though on their 4th overall golden goose. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

So would I.  Makes a lot of sense and with a temporary management group there you don’t have to worry about too much bad blood and it’s kind of irrelevant as Edm/Van trades are rare unless Chia/Benning are at the helm.

2nd for Pool Party is a risk you take.  If you’be seem him play he actually plays a lot like Horvat.  Speed and drive to the net.

Pearson Horvat Puljujarvi is a nice second line.

The kid has skill! Edmonton is in a tough predicament with cap space and potentially losing this kid to an offer sheet they can’t afford to match. The problem is not many people on this site like buying low on potential.

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2019 at 8:05 PM, IslandCanuck89 said:

Benning has mentioned that a top 6 forward is an offseason priority. In my opinion there's no better team to target than Toronto. There is no way they'll be able to keep Kapanen, Andreas Johnsson, and Nylander.

Since they'll be in a jam, they likely won't be able to get full value in a trade and may be willing to take picks over players. All 3 of them are young, fast and skilled. I'd lean towards Nylander. Only 22, locked up for a while and the most skilled of the 3. Tanev and the 2020 first rounder might do it. Otherwise Kapenen would be a solid option. Either one could slot in on the Horvat line with Pearson on the left side. That would leave Petey with Boeser and Leivo. Pretty solid top two lines for the next few years. 

Finally a proposal that makes sense and has some legs.  Let’s say Nylander is off the table as we have to give Dubas the benifit of the doubt when he said he wouldn’t ever trade him.  Johnsson is actually my preferred target, he’s has a motor that won’t quit and shades of Martin St. Louis.   Kapanen would be ok too, but would rather pick the guy who makes any line better no matter what line it is.  Both these guys are up for a big raise and with Marner earning a AM like deal on a team that shot themselves in the foot, they won’t have any money left over.   Unless they trade Kadri which is a distinct possibility.   Nylander doesn’t interest me in the least.