The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB: I’ll make the phone call about the 1st overall pick

Rate this topic

Generational.EP40

Didn't see much discussion about this on the forum so here’s a little something to talk about.

Not that I expect Benning to push as aggressively like Burke did with the Sedins but he does mention he’ll make the call as a part of doing due diligence to be able to say he at least attempted to try and get the Hughes bros together. 

I think something along the lines of 10+Juolevi+Madden or Lockwood+next yr 1st or Demko would be about what the ask would be. And to be quite honest, I could live with that if it were to happen...what do you think it would take to be able to jump from 10 to 1? How about if Shero counters and offers Hall for #10 overall considering they’ll be looking to trade him being a pending UFA next summer? Could be a Canucks-Devils draft day splash 2.0, this time being the other way around with the draft in Vancouver instead of NJ and us acquiring the player this time around. 

This should make for an interesting scenario. 1) A trade is agreed to for 1st overall 2) Possibly Hall is discussed for #10 if a player we like isn’t there come our selection 3) Stand pat 4) Maybe trade down and recoup more picks 5) regardless of all those, maybe even trade back into the 1st round by packaging the 2nd round pick along with a mid round pick. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Maybe.

But the Canucks are obviously more inclined to, having Quinn and hosting the draft. As well as having built up enough assets through the drafting cupboard to be able to entice the Devils to a potential deal :ph34r:

Lou isn’t going to accept to change a dollar for a few dimes (eg., anybody not named EP, Boeser, Hughes and Woo).

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Obviously Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, and Hughes are off the table. I think most GMs would realize that.

If there's a trade to be made that doesn't absolutely destroy our prospect depth, I'm sure Benning will consider it.

Yep

& I think it’s very possible. Devils are embracing a rebuild whereas we are about to transition out of one. Also as you said, not that the non-off limits players you listed are scrubs by any means. They’re very much valuable pieces themselves which are of worth.

23 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Maybe.

But the Canucks are obviously more inclined to, having Quinn and hosting the draft. As well as having built up enough assets through the drafting cupboard to be able to entice the Devils to a potential deal :ph34r:

Well considering the last time the draft was held in Vancouver we acquired Luongo so.. I am hoping for another blockbuster trade lol

If NJ can acquire Schneider in their draft we should try to acquire Hughes or someone major at the draft. 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Yep

& I think it’s very possible. Devils are embracing a rebuild whereas we are about to transition out of one. Also as you said, not that the non-off limits players you listed are scrubs by any means. They’re very much valuable pieces themselves which are of worth.

They are coming out of their rebuild and want to take the next step.  They want to add impact players and are willing to even trade picks (not the 1st overall) to improve their roster.

They talk of how they've set the right culture - speed, work ethic and they play for each other.  Now it's about adding talent to be able to contend.

Hall is not willing to talk extension just yet and talked about how they are lacking some talent to take the next step.  Shero agrees with him.  They are looking to add impact players this summer.   It starts with 1st overall.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

They are coming out of their rebuild and want to take the next step.  They want to add impact players and are willing to even trade picks (not the 1st overall) to improve their roster.

They talk of how they've set the right culture - speed, work ethic and they play for each other.  Now it's about adding talent to be able to contend.

Hall is not willing to talk extension just yet and talked about how they are lacking some talent to take the next step.  Shero agrees with him.  They are looking to add impact players this summer.   It starts with 1st overall.  

They’re still very much in a rebuild. Wanting to take the next step just to entice Hall in staying doesn’t mean they are coming out of a rebuild like the Canucks are positioned to. There’s a difference there.

2 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

They’re still very much in a rebuild. Wanting to take the next step just to entice Hall in staying doesn’t mean they are coming out of a rebuild like the Canucks are positioned to. There’s a difference there.

Well if they are - even more reason to keep 1st overall.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I think they'd want quite a bit more quality than that. 

- Top 10 pick

- Juolevi (5th overall) adds to their poor defence prospect pool

- Madden/Lockwood are one of the best college prospects with certainly an NHL future

- Demko is one of the best goalie prospects ready to become a starter / or a 1st next year which is never bad

...I’d say that’s a fair share of quality and quantity.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

- Top 10 pick

- Madden/Lockwood are one of the best college prospects with certainly an NHL future

- Demko is one of the best goalie prospects ready to become a starter / or a 1st next year which is never bad

They have MacKenzie Blackwood who is younger and posted better numbers than Demko this season.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Obviously Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, and Hughes are off the table. I think most GMs would realize that.

If there's a trade to be made that doesn't absolutely destroy our prospect depth, I'm sure Benning will consider it.

The only Obvious players who are untouchables are Pettersson and Hughes. Horvat is 100% expendable if you're trading for a 1st overall centre and already have a number 1 two way centre in Pettersson. Markstrom made this team look way better than it actually was. Without Markstrom, this team was last in the NHL. If you give up Horvat + keep your first this year and get the first overall... The rebuild is looking pretty solid. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Generational.EP40 said:

- Top 10 pick

Yes, it's a lot but it's an exponential scale to move into franchise player territory, not a linear one.  It wouldn't be quite as much as the Lindros trade all those years ago, but they would definitely want one of our core 4 plus other significant pieces.  There's no way there wouldn't be some real pain for us in that deal.

• Upvote 1