The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB: I’ll make the phone call about the 1st overall pick

Rate this topic

Generational.EP40

20 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Nobody will pay what it would cost to get the first overall pick. 

I seem to remember years ago a coveted 1st overall player (who was already damaged goods after holding out a season) going for the price of Steve Duchesne, Ron Hextall, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Peter Forsberg, 2 first round picks and $15 million.

The Flyers made the mistake of paying that kind of price for Lindros in 1992 which handed the Nordiques enough capital for them to go from last place to winning the Stanley Cup 3 years later as the Colorado Avalanche.  The Flyers still haven't won a Cup since 1975.

How badly do you all want Jack?

Jack isn’t Lindros & teams learn from history to not make a deal like that again lol

12 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Jesus Christ, if Benning is really thinking about acquiring the 1st overall because we are hosting it and Jack Hughes is Quinn Hughe's brother then we should fire Benning. It is this kind of sentiment towards players that made us draft Jake Virtanen in his draft year because he is a BC boy and can be like Cam Neely? Wtf? How does this logic make sense?

But it would be so cute ...Haha it's crazy

2 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Jack isn’t Lindros & teams learn from history to not make a deal like that again lol

Lindros wasn't Lindros.  He wasn't even a first or second  ballot Hall of Famer.  It took him up until 2 years ago to get in the Hall of Fame after retiring in '07.

You can lol all you want, but you made my point for me, " teams learn from history to not make a deal like that again".  Which is why getting a 1st overall in a draft with a sought after prospect isn't worth it.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

For Jack Hughes as the first over-all pick I would offer our first this year, Juolevi and our second round picks for the next 3 years.

And you'd get laughed at and then would be told to never call back again.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Lindros wasn't Lindros.  He wasn't even a first or second  ballot Hall of Famer.  It took him up until 2 years ago to get in the Hall of Fame after retiring in '07.

You can lol all you want, but you made my point for me, " teams learn from history to not make a deal like that again".  Which is why getting a 1st overall in a draft with a sought after prospect isn't worth it.

Eric Lindros was one of the biggest hyped draft eligible players ever. He’s the greatest power forward in the history of the game and no one has come close to matching what he did nor will anyone. He was literally 1 out of 1. 

And its pretty obvious it took him a while to get in but still did because of lack of games due to a shortened career. You tell me how many players that don’t play 800 career games make the HOF. 

...I hope you know there’s different strengths on draft classes. Some are strong, some are weak, some are top heavy, some aren’t heavy at all. Point being, Hughes does not compare to Lindros whatsoever even if their #1 overall lol

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Generational.EP40 said:

Eric Lindros was one of the biggest hyped draft eligible players ever. He’s the greatest power forward in the history of the game and no one has come close to matching what he did nor will anyone. He was literally 1 out of 1. 

And its pretty obvious it took him a while to get in but still did because of lack of games due to a shortened career. You tell me how many players that don’t play 800 career games make the HOF. 

...I hope you know there’s different strengths on draft classes. Some are strong, some are weak, some are top heavy, some aren’t heavy at all. Point being, Hughes does not compare to Lindros whatsoever even if their #1 overall lol

You're high.  Lindros was just good enough to make the Hall of Fame, but he was not unique in any sense of the word.

He was injury prone, especially when it came to concussions, and even though he chalked up a lot of assists, he wasn't a great goal scorer.  His strength was in his power game.  I remember watching him play.  Back then I played the game so I was watching as much hockey as I could.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

You're high.  Lindros was just good enough to make the Hall of Fame, but he was not unique in any sense of the word.

He was injury prone, especially when it came to concussions, and even though he chalked up a lot of assists, he wasn't a great goal scorer.  His strength was in his power game.  I remember watching him play.  Back then I played the game so I was watching as much hockey as I could.

You can’t be serious.

Sorry but I just can’t continue with this conversation anymore :shock::blink:

• Upvote 1

You can’t be serious.

Sorry but I just can’t continue with this conversation anymore :shock::blink:

I am serious, but I'll let you semi-gracefully avoid it since I'll bet you couldn't even tell me the Legion of Doom's alternate nickname and who else besides Lindros was on it without first Googling it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I am serious, but I'll let you semi-gracefully avoid it since I'll bet you couldn't even tell me the Legion of Doom's alternate nickname and who else besides Lindros was on it without first Googling it.

Well I was young then but even I know enough about the game it was Renberg & LeClair.

I don’t get what that has to do with anything though. We weren’t alive when electricity was invented but I’m sure the guy who did was smart :lol:

• Cheers 1

Well I was young then but even I know enough about the game it was Renberg & LeClair.

I don’t get what that has to do with anything though. We weren’t alive when electricity was invented but I’m sure the guy who did was smart :lol:

Gotta love Google!  You couldn't even take the time to Google their alternate nickname though.  It's not as easy to pull up but I'm sure you can do it.

My point is that I watched him play at a time where I was hugely engrossed in hockey.  He had the tools to become one of the top 10 to play the game but could never put it together for reasons including durability problems and attitude.

He became a top 100 player, but he never even got close to panning out as "the next great one" whereas players like Lemieux did.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It would cost too much to move up. Benning said he wouldn't gut our youth to overpay to move up. He's probably got a plan for 10. But I think try to make a move on a top flight UFA instead. 

Don't even think about taking Skinner!!!  :lol:

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

We are actually going for the wrong brother combo.

I say push for Brandon Tanev.

Also....what does Jersey want for Quinn? Not saying we shop him or do it but I want to know what that looks like.

Do we even know if the brothers want to play together? Jack passed up on the opportunity to play with Q at college, and their situation is nothing like the twins, who played together for every team ever since they learned to skate.