The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB: I’ll make the phone call about the 1st overall pick

Rate this topic

Generational.EP40

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Do we even know if the brothers want to play together? Jack passed up on the opportunity to play with Q at college, and their situation is nothing like the twins, who played together for every team ever since they learned to skate.

No clue....who cares if we can take advantage of Jersey?

Again, realistically I wouldn't do it.

Edited by Chris12345

28 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

You're high.  Lindros was just good enough to make the Hall of Fame, but he was not unique in any sense of the word.

He was injury prone, especially when it came to concussions, and even though he chalked up a lot of assists, he wasn't a great goal scorer.  His strength was in his power game.  I remember watching him play.  Back then I played the game so I was watching as much hockey as I could.

In fact, Forsberg was Eric's equal, if not better, as a power forward. (Especially when playoffs rolled around)

Plus, Quebec (Colorado) got Duchesne, Huffman, Ricci and Hextall immediately, and Thibault and Simon later, plus the $15 million.

Will be remembered as the worst hockey trade ever

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Googlie said:

In fact, Forsberg was Eric's equal, if not better, as a power forward. (Especially when playoffs rolled around)

Plus, Quebec (Colorado) got Duchesne, Huffman, Ricci and Hextall immediately, and Thibault and Simon later, plus the $15 million.

Will be remembered as the worst hockey trade ever

Lindros brought a lot of excitement to Philly (until their drs. screwed up and almost killed him), but he never lived up to expectations and certainly never came close to living up to the price tag to get him.  Philadelphia is still waiting on the Stanley Cup that he was supposed to get for them.

• Cheers 1

Like others have said; of course he will call it is his job. Even more so it can be argued that pick is worth more to the Nucks due to having QH and the hope it could somehow become as beneficial/successful as the Sedins which could drive up the price for the Canucks to that of say a division rival gunning for the pick. 

In the end I dont think the nucks have the assets they would be willing to part with (ex. EP, BB, TD, BH, OJ...) in combination with thier 1st rd pick that would do it (with the amount of teams that would put in offers). 

Would anyone (incl. the Devils) do a QH with perhaps a small add for Taylor Hall?

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

3 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

- Top 10 pick

- Juolevi (5th overall) adds to their poor defence prospect pool

- Madden/Lockwood are one of the best college prospects with certainly an NHL future

- Demko is one of the best goalie prospects ready to become a starter / or a 1st next year which is never bad

...I’d say that’s a fair share of quality and quantity.

If we had 1OA would you make that trade???  1OA for.... 10th OA, an Injury proned former 5OA who may/may not play in the NHL, a third round pick w one good season in Uni hockey or another injury proned Uni kid, and a Goalie prospect w 5 NHL games???

Not a chance they say yes to this...

It starts with one of the untouchables (BH, EP, BB, QH) + 10th OA + something like  Hutton/Juolevi/Demko 

Its possibly the future face of the franchise...

If it had been the other way around, and Benning said yes to your suggestion, I would want him fired... and I'm his biggest fan...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 2

I would almost prefer he call about #2... could fill that top 6 winger spot we're really lacking. But we're also lacking defence. Tough call. Most draft scenarios have us ending up with the 2nd best dman of the draft.

The last time the Canucks made a huge move in the draft we ended up with the 2 best players this franchise had ever had.

• Upvote 1

It's going to cost us Horvat, our 10th, and some other huge piece. Honestly, I would take it. We need a solid future. It's going to put our rebuild back years, but long term it gives us character. Brothers in blue. That's all of us canucks fans.

Edited by Xur

2 hours ago, Whorvat said:

A guy like Gaudette would really intrigue NJ, I think it would cost along the lines of this, give or take a bit

To NJD: 10th, 2020 1st, Gaudette, Virtanen

To VAN: 1st

They already have Zacha as young C3.  They need a high end playmaking top-6 C.  That's not Gaudette or anyone the Canucks are willing to part with.

• Upvote 1

What if they ask for Quinn instead and they keep their number 1 pick to pick his bro?

What would our asking price be? 

Would we do Quinn for Nico Hirschier and Sami Vatanen straight up? 

I would consider it... 

As a fellow Finn, Vatanen can mentor Juolevi and Hirschier might be better than Jack Hughes... 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

Every team will make the phone call

5 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

Every team will make the phone call

Agreed.  

I think Benning might just be saying this to give a vote of assurance (if that’s the right word?) to Quinn, and that the organization has his back and best interests at hand.  For example, if Benning says “no, we haven inquired,” the trollish Vancouver media might run with it and turn it into, “Benning doesn’t care how Quinn feels.”

In reality, I think Benning knows deep down that getting Jack will be next to impossible (unless we offer an illogically high number of assets).