The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So Then...Where Is The Game Going?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

good mix is hard to obtain but you have your core and they better be good not perfect but the character skill and toughness in them ...you dont need to tom wilson tough you need brad marchand tough but discipline...avalnche good mix calls stars good mix and the islanders and blue jackets.....all of the remains playoff teams have good balance of key players...vegas has one of the best but i think they will get knocked out due to the players not executing...islanders jackets will come out of the east..the west dallas or the blues will make it to finals...

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If the Lost-Vegans/Snarks game is any indication, the game is going in a good direction. That was a gem.

It was great to watch until the refs decided  that a crosscheck to the chest was worth 5 and a game... ffs Eakins stick didn’t even break. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Have to say the Sharks / Vegas game was a bit like de-ja-vu....

Have enjoyed most of the games I've watched these play offs, but the one sided refereeing in that game, suggest the game is still going the way the refs wants it to go.

Yes conceding 3 goals during 5 min of PP was poor, but that still doesn't justify the refs being the focal point afterwards...

Hope Sharks get dumped big time now... Hate the the diving players and the obnoxious fans there...

Besides that I love what we are seeing...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 3

Blown calls that impact critical games HAVE to be addressed.

Sure...human error, etc. but, in a day where you have a "team" of officials, video review and a room to call for help, there is no excuse for blown calls/games as we've seen (and experienced) in the past.

It ruins it.  The refs and the league have to let go of the ego ("we're right") to improve the trust in the game.   At the very least let's stop referring to them as "blown calls" and attach them to the refs/league as reffing oversights and errors.  They're in charge so should own it.  Blown calls is too general.

With that, I'm enjoying some great hockey...the battle and compete level is high.  Love playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/25/2019 at 7:56 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Sure...human error, etc. but, in a day where you have a "team" of officials, video review and a room to call for help, there is no excuse for blown calls/games as we've seen (and experienced) in the past.

It ruins it.  The refs and the league have to let go of the ego ("we're right") to improve the trust in the game.   At the very least let's stop referring to them as "blown calls" and attach them to the refs/league as reffing oversights and errors.  They're in charge so should own it.  Blown calls is too general.

With that, I'm enjoying some great hockey...the battle and compete level is high.  Love playoffs.

Yeah if they can look at an offside and call off a goal they should be able to look at a phantom major penalty as well.

• Upvote 3

On 4/25/2019 at 11:56 PM, debluvscanucks said:

I guess Deb(& have long felt) their pov is different than what this post outlines. They might claim to wanna' maintain the "human element" but that's all lip service-BS. In truth, I don't believe they giva' damn about that. It's ostensible, & sounds good.

It's simply easier to rig outcomes, if you don't overuse technology. Reviewing matters like blatant penalties/nasty injuries, would make it more cut-&-dried. It would be harder to favour the teams they want.(too transparent for them shady cretins). *pls note* This ain't to indicate this works FULLY 100% for them. They may not have desired SJ over LostWages, for example. But the most important point may well be to see preferred US markets advance, AND eventually wind up with the best players on favourable contracts.

Ambiguity is their MO. They won't standardize how the game is called either..leave leeway(moving goalposts). Observe when a Cdn franchise builds a tough, sizeable team, they'll call everything. When a Cdn team is finesse-heavy, they just "let'em play".

Uncertainty, & control any review-system. That's how they'll roll. There are MANY ways to rig a deck.

I'm close to dropping this sport, myself. Have got other things to do. With the fair-weather fandom they've nurtured in their southern(conditional love) sunbelt fanbases, I don't think they give a shyte if (say) 1,000,000 long-time fans like myself, just dump the game altogether.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
spelling

Gotta admit, of the 8 teams remaining, I'd say 7 of them impressed me(playing vs our Canucks) in the last 2, 3 mos of reg season. There appears a surplus of sizeable, mobile D with these teams, that can really smother opponents. Also would say they all seemed to build momentum through the 2nd half, for the most part.

Timing the trend/peak of a club(throughout the course of Oct-Spring) is apparently one of the keys.

Lots of posters musing about moving way UPPPP the draft ladder. Look at teams like SJ, StLoo & Dall..not really much there, as far as top-5 picks from drafts past.

To build a solid, deep, large & fast team, seems more a matter of patience, consistent drafting. & wisdom (in both development & team-building). We should be satisfied in already landing some young stars, & concentrate in building depth at all positions. Upgrade with enhanced youth, speed, size & skill when opportunities arise.

• 2 weeks later...

StLoo-breakthrough lends itself to having depth, size, balanced roster & great 'tending. Without Binnington, they're stuck doing what they've done forever(maybe 1 rd appearance).

In Nov I suggested trading 3 of their key guys for Matthews. Bet the Leafs would've been better off!

Every 7 years or so the cycle will repeat itself. The league will get too small and then they'll get buried by hard working bigger teams. Then we go back to the big boys, then the skilled guys come back around when the big guys get older. Rinse and repeat. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/14/2019 at 12:31 AM, ButterBean said:

Hot goaltending, good defense, and rolling 4 lines is a given. Some people think the NHL is moving towards pure speed and skill but that is far from it. Almost every team right now in the playoffs is balanced with speed/skill/toughness throughout their fwd lines and defense. Hughes, Pettersson, and Boeser will have targets on their backs and we need guys who will protect them. Tom Wilson, Josh Anderson, Evander Kane, etc. type players who can play top 6, hit hard and chuck the mitts when the whistles blown. Right now our team is too soft to even make it a reg season without key injuries, IMO it isn’t a fluke that this happening year after year there needs to be a culture change. Play with a pack mentality and Start drafting/developing some players who are strong on the puck, hit to hurt, and don’t stand there when Petey or Boeser are on the wrong end of dirty hits. 

been waiting for support for brock/petey the same way as the sedins... hope for once they get a big tough BUT skilled guy on that line but i have my doubts on benning pulling it off

On 4/22/2019 at 1:31 PM, Magnifier said:

Surely they are facing a one and done, their current roster has them the second smallest team in the league and the smallest ever defence iced in the NHL. If the size says 6' it means 5'11" something, so 5'10" means 5'9" something and the Canucks have 3 of those, 3 dmen under 5'10". In fact the Canucks have only 3 dmen over the league average size, this is something that needs addressing. 19 players under the league average, 8 over and two goalies.

This is something i agree on. Its not that size is everything but it is something.

Skill players need space out there, think Naslund with Bertuzzi. We need a good mix of both skill and size. They can come in one or two players or a mix of players on the roster. I like what Petey and Brock can do together. What they need is a big winger that can create space and possibly pop in 20 to go with them. I realize that's a big ask.

This is where we have to draft a big winger with skill.

Bo also needs more on his wing if we are to be a competitor for the cup not just a playoff bubble team. Teams that win the cup have secondary scoring and we do need more from the D also. This may have to be done thru FA. I would draft to add to the first line first.

Probably the most glaring need for size is on the back end. Making it uncomfortable for players to crash your net is the key to defensive success especially in the playoffs. Goal-tending can give you an edge but having a few big boys at the back helps. We have way too many D men that play small. Stecher Hutton Pouliot, and now Hughes are under sized D men. 6'0 is the new SMALL.I love how Hughes plays but he isn't my shut down D man. Edler and Tanev are on their last legs. Not that I am advocating a plodding defense, they still need to be able to skate but in my plan i would draft bigger D that can eliminate net front presence. Tryamkin is an example of the type of D man we need. He may never come back to play for the Canucks but he is the prototypical D man we need.If we can find another like him we would improve greatly. I would prefer two just like him. Then the players like Hughes, Petterson and Brock can do their thing without being abused in the playoffs.

13 hours ago, cory40 said:

The game is going to a more game management. Where the NHL controls who wins and lottery structures win and so do the owners. Worst officiating I have seen in 35 years! 

Kind of makes you pine for the days Fraser was getting hives before a big game and then going out and thrashing it.  Game one Boston CAR, two borderline calls against CAR back to back in the third and Boston is back on top.  I swear the refs can’t help themselves in making an impact in which way a game goes, AND that the league is out to punish certain teams and has their favourites each series.  Same as it ever was.

• Like 1