Edler. Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Hutton Rafferty

Briseboise Schenn

Call ups 

Juolevi

Sautner

Teves

To me thats not too bad as it allows for the devrlopment of several young guys. The issue with UFAS on defense is that they gotta be a hit not a miss or you're pushing guys down and not allowing them up. So ya. Nux can sign a UFA on D but if its a miss you're worse off and stuck with them. 

5 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

To start the year the defense could look like this:

Edler. Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Hutton Rafferty

Briseboise Schenn

Call ups 

Juolevi

Sautner

Teves

To me thats not too bad as it allows for the devrlopment of several young guys. The issue with UFAS on defense is that they gotta be a hit not a miss or you're pushing guys down and not allowing them up. So ya. Nux can sign a UFA on D but if its a miss you're worse off and stuck with them. 

And what happens if Edler and Tanev run into injuries? It may give more "development" time to our young guys, but it'll also be putting them in a difficult situation and likely more injuries will result and hurting their development long term with guys taking on more than they can handle too quickly.

I agree that we shouldn't be signing UFAs that take up a ton of cap and term, but maybe more reasonable contracts that allow us to ice an NHL level defense most nights and if it doesn't pan out then they won't have long term effects. So with that said, I'd still welcome a Karlsson, but beyond that it would really just be cheap depth options that I would look at.

When the inevitable injuries do occur, that will allow for openings for young players to jump in a get a look and if they don't click right away, then they get a lesson on what they need to work on to make it. If they step in a look like they belong, then you worry about what to do with your lineup, but more depth is what you aim for in terms of continually having a successful team and allows you to trade from a position of strength if needed.

Currently with what we have, I would have it as:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

Hutton - Schenn

Sautner - Biega

Juolevi - Rafferty

Brisebois - Chatfield

Teves - Eliot

It's manageable if healthy, but based on history, it'll be very tested throughout a season.

Wildcards are Tryamkin (returning possibly late in the year though), Woo (who may earn a spot out of camp otherwise be sent back to junior) and possibly Rathbone if he chooses to sign early.

On 4/14/2019 at 8:04 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Is anyone actually surprised that JB’s age-gap Plan replace-athon reduces down to this? 

The excusers will spin this, but I think it’s pretty obvious by now that the pool suffered from the lack of draft picks and even the loss of McCann. Others can rewrite the summary in this saga, but I can’t be bothered.

We can also move the elastic blame to Aquaman for refusing to tap out in 2013. 

There is no skill in the pool and not much coming up to supplement the core, even after all this time in the basement. Had EP not been a superstar out of the gate, I don’t think there’d be much for JB to stand on today. 

Bravo Charlie Foxtrot . The next moves for JB could prove to deadly or suitcase move if he fluffs for more deadweight signings .This will effect fan base support also . I think JB is scating in thin ice side of the pond an is a reason he will be draft focus in Vancouver to keep his visibility high an enhance down the road opportunities. You have nailed the narrative rather royalty like fashion. Until July 1 I will hardly breathe . 

6 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

To start the year the defense could look like this:

Edler. Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Hutton Rafferty

Briseboise Schenn

Call ups 

Juolevi

Sautner

Teves

That is a terrible defence... probably one of the worst in the league.  If that is our starting roster even before injuries hit, we are looking at another lottery pick.

We probably can’t count on Edler having another career year.  He will probably sort back down to earth and little which could be offset by Hughes being better than Del Zotto as last year’s starter in that roster spot.  Hutton started off well last year, but tailed off badly later on.  Is he going to show up next year?  Tanev even when healthy was having a tough time against better opposition, can we count on him being healthy and regaining form?

Having a terrible D stunts the development of our forwards as there is no one to make plays to them.  In his first year, Hughes probably gets a decent amount of PP time, but pretty sheltered 5 on 5.

Edited by Provost

2 hours ago, Provost said:

That is a terrible defence... probably one of the worst in the league.  If that is our starting roster even before injuries hit, we are looking at another lottery pick.

We probably can’t count on Edler having another career year.  He will probably sort back down to earth and little which could be offset by Hughes being better than Del Zotto as last year’s starter in that roster spot.  Hutton started off well last year, but tailed off badly later on.  Is he going to show up next year?  Tanev even when healthy was having a tough time against better opposition, can we count on him being healthy and regaining form?

Having a terrible D stunts the development of our forwards as there is no one to make plays to them.  In his first year, Hughes probably gets a decent amount of PP time, but pretty sheltered 5 on 5.

So what's your solution?

Pointless post. The issue is should the nux sign ufas. Saying their current d is lousy means nothing. 

Again what's your solution?

• Cheers 1

Sign Stralman, attempt to move either Tanev or Hutton to TBL for one of their young RHDs (or kick tires on the likes of Ceci, Ristolainen etc or attempt to get Tryamkin back here). Continue to draft and develop (OJ, Rathbone, Woo etc) = progress on D.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sign Stralman, attempt to move either Tanev or Hutton to TBL for one of their young RHDs (or kick tires on the likes of Ceci, Ristolainen etc or attempt to get Tryamkin back here). Continue to draft and develop (OJ, Rathbone, Woo etc) = progress on D.

Thanks for a thoughtful proposal. So much better than most on here who just complain without offering any solutions. 

I agree that OJ Rathbone and Woo all have real upside.  Having room for them when they're ready is key. My biggest issue with signing UFAS is you're married to the term you sign regardless of when your young prospects show they're ready. Personally as a season ticket holder I'm encouraged where we are at. Hughes will be a lot of fun next year. Would love to see Rafferty get a shot. Making the playoffs may be what the media thinks the fans are demanding - but for me I'm ok with another development year. 

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Thanks for a thoughtful proposal. So much better than most on here who just complain without offering any solutions. 

I agree that OJ Rathbone and Woo all have real upside.  Having room for them when they're ready is key. My biggest issue with signing UFAS is you're married to the term you sign regardless of when your young prospects show they're ready. Personally as a season ticket holder I'm encouraged where we are at. Hughes will be a lot of fun next year. Would love to see Rafferty get a shot. Making the playoffs may be what the media thinks the fans are demanding - but for me I'm ok with another development year. 

Stralman likely only requires 2 maybe 3 years commitment and a mid range salary. Not particularly worried about being 'married' to that ;)

So short term on Stralman, mid term on a guy like Dzingel/Lee/Nelson etc at wing (and who eventually replaces Baer as 2nd line W when we draft and develop a 1st line W) and shuffle some other parts for a young, mid pair right D. 

UFA, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer, Horvat, Pearson

Leivo, Gaudette, Virtanen

Motte, Beagle, Sutter

(Roussel on IR)

Edler, Stecher

Hutton, Trade

Hughes, Stralman

UFA/Sautner/Brisebois, Biega/Schenn

47 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

So what's your solution?

Pointless post. The issue is should the nux sign ufas. Saying their current d is lousy means nothing. 

Again what's your solution?

I agree with you - I'd prefer they do very little in free agency as opposed to too much - ie run out and blow their whole load asap, hoping to 'speed up' the transition.

They're still transitioning - their key young players are still very young.

Instead of chasing guys that are albatross terms and take the principal roles = ie a Karlsson - I think it makes more sense to continue to add the kind of support players that can help the young players succeed and devlop - while playing those key, leading roles.

For me it's ironic to listen to people whine about acquisitions like Sutter, Beagle etc - who do precisely what the young players need - handle the hard minutes and provide enabling conditions to play and succeed in - and then turn around and propose, prematurely, to blow the team's load at this point, principally concerned with how competitive they are next year.

The team was depleted this year and still performed overall at a .500 pace - and has plenty of potential to continue upticking from within - remaining relatively competitive.  The young blueliners - to get all dramatic about how bad a group with Hughes, Juolevi, Stecher, Hutton - with Edler, Tanev, and likely a comparable UFA added - is pointless imo. 

There's no need to chase every shiny object in free agency, or get all hung up on short term results next year.  Of course the team wants to continue to improve, but I'd like to see them do so in staying the course.  I've been proposing Stralman/Nelson as key targets and moving down from there - and think that's where the team should focus.  Look to add another young RHD if they're seeking to move Tanev - keep enough veteran support D to stabilize the young blueliners - and see if they can add a LW to play with Pettersson.  None of the longer term goals however need to be rushed for this coming season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Oui 

;)

I’d love if we got EK.  Edler and EK would make for one heck of a top pair, don’t you think?  Then follow that with Hughes and Tanev, and Stecher and Hutton.  Schenn can be that seventh guy.  Then OJ can push from the farm.  That’s a pretty good D core.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’d love if we got EK.  Edler and EK would make for one heck of a top pair, don’t you think?  Then follow that with Hughes and Tanev, and Stecher and Hutton.  Schenn can be that seventh guy.  Then OJ can push from the farm.  That’s a pretty good D core.  

Yes, 2 deadly PP-units ispretty good. 

On 4/14/2019 at 3:45 PM, Honky Cat said:

Saying that Juolevi and Woo are projected to be in the main squad in the next year or two is a total Hail Mary..In most projected lineups, they're not really included anymore...Unrealistic at this point.

Juolevi will play on the Canucks next season if he can stay healthy.

• Cheers 1

On 4/14/2019 at 8:04 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Is anyone actually surprised that JB’s age-gap Plan replace-athon reduces down to this? 

The excusers will spin this, but I think it’s pretty obvious by now that the pool suffered from the lack of draft picks and even the loss of McCann. Others can rewrite the summary in this saga, but I can’t be bothered.

We can also move the elastic blame to Aquaman for refusing to tap out in 2013. 

There is no skill in the pool and not much coming up to supplement the core, even after all this time in the basement. Had EP not been a superstar out of the gate, I don’t think there’d be much for JB to stand on today. 

I don't blame Benning for trying the "age-gap plan replace-athon" though.  I didn't know it was called that.  :lol:

I agree that there have been many age-gap failures.  I went through the rosters over the last 5 years and was going to list them.  I won't bore you with the list.  Suffice to say it is long:  I'm counting 16 age-gap failures. How about the successes?  There may be some argument but I'm including Baertschi, Sutter, Granlund, Stecher, Leivo, and Pearson.....that's 6 out of 22 which would be a 27% success rate.  And ya, none of them are better than middle 6.

I'm also counting 5 veteran failures (Prust, Eriksson, Gagner, delZotto, Schaller) and 1 retirement due to injury (Dorsett).  I think we all like Dorsett, Vanek, Miller, Roussel and Beagle....I'll call Vrbata a wash because he was good the first year, and not so much the 2nd. So, Benning is batting 50% on the vets which is less than I would hope.

I'm trying not to spin this but 5 years along there are some useful players that have stuck but we have to wonder if Benning will move on from Sutter for example.  Also, you are right, there are still players missing at the top and nobody close to filling places.  I see no reason why Benning might not do what he has done in the past and add veteran free agent help similar to Vrbata or Vanek. 

Someone who could slot in at LW next to Petey I think would dramatically help the forwards.  Pearson and Baertschi are both left wingers who could play 2nd line.  Could one of them not play the right side?  I would say yes.  I think the line up below is decidedly stronger and has more depth with players down the line up who could play spot duty higher up in case of injury.

Free Agent Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Pearson

Leivo Gaudette/Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Motte........this is just to illustrate a possible line up.....don't flame

leaving Eriksson and Granlund as spares......I'm not going to suggest what to do with them right now

This jives with what Benning has said in interviews.  He said that he has been looking for somebody to play with Horvat and he thinks he's found him in Pearson.  He also said that he wants to add to the top 6.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It’s been a very long time since this was a great playoff team.

2011 was an anomaly.

I hope the team is built for the playoffs.

Teams like Winterpeg, Columbus and the Bruins are and I like watching them.

No more fancy panties-hockey. 

No more Naslund/Sedin-style ‘leadership’. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

2011 was an anomaly.

JB needs to add someone like Ferland to Petey's line even though he may not be viewed by some as a top 6 player. What he does bring is a level of truculence to an otherwise soft line. They could also stand to add a very physical yet mobile D man to the right defense.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

2011 was an anomaly.

What is the name of the most valuable player as voted by the players themselves?

Naslund & Daniel Sedin each were voted most valuable player in the world by a poll of players.

Not sure how much better leadership you can get... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

JB needs to add someone like Ferland to Petey's line even though he may not be viewed by some as a top 6 player. What he does bring is a level of truculence to an otherwise soft line. They could also stand to add a very physical yet mobile D man to the right defense.

That is a popular opinion.  Not mine.

I want JB to get guys who can skate, and score. Dangle & trade pucks with Petey and Hughes at high speed.

• Cheers 1