The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Case for UFA’s

Rate this topic

Provost

3 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Easy thing to say... So who do you have in mind and how does JB go about acquiring him?

This is the case for UFA thread; Panarin!

He's the most expensive option! Eberle an alternative, Jeff Skinner exciting, Nyqvist a little bit less, not my own fabourite but Matt Duchesne is extremely fast, Zucarello on a short contract...

In the draft one of Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras or Dach is bound to fall? All are rated top 9, but every year, someone jumps the cue.  

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

This is the case for UFA thread; Panarin!

He's the most expensive option! Eberle an alternative, Jeff Skinner exciting, Nyqvist a little bit less, not my own fabourite but Matt Duchesne is extremely fast, Zucarello on a short contract...

In the draft one of Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras or Dach is bound to fall? All are rated top 9, but every year, someone jumps the cue.  

Dzingel is also a pretty good skater (if not as 'exciting' as adding Panarin... but a hell of a lot cheaper) and brings solid effort every shift along with decent mitts ;)

He can also play both wings and would likely make a solid Baer replacement when we move on from him once whichever forward we draft this year with our first, develops.

I'd gladly add him or a guy with more size (Lee, Nelson etc).

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Please don't sign EL. I am watching him tonight and he makes so many mistakes.  He doesn't have the same mobility of years gone by. 

EK,  corrected.

Edited by appleboy
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Please don't sign EL. I am watching him tonight and he makes so many mistakes.  He doesn't have the same mobility of years gone by. 

Was someone suggesting we sign Eddie Lack?  Where did you watch him tonight?  8 rinks beer league?

• Wat 1

Just now, Provost said:

Was someone suggesting we sign Eddie Lack?  Where did you watch him tonight?  8 rinks beer league?

Surely he means EK.

54 minutes ago, appleboy said:

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

I truly don't think people realize how big of a mess Gillis made through his teams drafting.

This team went years trading away future to win now. Not only that, but the scouting teams failed to get anything other than Hutton, and Horvat, really.

The Canucks were horrificly bad post Luongo, and just wouldn't let go. No depth and a shallow prospect pool means the Nucks need some UFA help if Jim is going to keep his job. That being said, Id rather see the Canucks to draft early than handout a lucrative contract to anyone not named Panarin

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I truly don't think people realize how big of a mess Gillis made through his teams drafting.

This team went years trading away future to win now. Not only that, but the scouting teams failed to get anything other than Hutton, and Horvat, really.

The Canucks were horrificly bad post Luongo, and just wouldn't let go. No depth and a shallow prospect pool means the Nucks need some UFA help if Jim is going to keep his job. That being said, Id rather see the Canucks to draft early than handout a lucrative contract to anyone not named Panarin

I don't necessarily agree with those points.

I think Gillis was relatively moderate when it came to spending futures.   And I think he had some horrible luck to go with borderline drafting.

The first two picks in his tenure - pretty much set the tone -  Hodgson's entitilement and health - and Sauve's tragic injury (as well as the tragic loss of Bourdon, and also arguable that Cassels' career was ruined by injuries)....Gillis did a great job imo of converting Patrick White into a critical contending piece.  Connauton and Hutton - a pair on not-bad later picks....certainly a lot of room for improvement where drafting was concerned, but I think that's only part of the story.

He understandably prioritized complementing the existing group at the time, but at least he also made that retool deal to get Horvat - without him it's an even more grim 'transition'.

It wasn't exactly and ideal set of circumstances that Benning stepped into, but I don't think that's all on Gillis, his drafting, or having overspent on win now pieces - I think it's more the natural cycle of a team that does little to get out ahead of the need to retool/transition.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't necessarily agree with those points.

I think Gillis was relatively moderate when it came to spending futures.   And I think he had some horrible luck to go with borderline drafting.

The first two picks in his tenure - pretty much set the tone -  Hodgson's entitilement and health - and Sauve's tragic injury (as well as the tragic loss of Bourdon, and also arguable that Cassels' career was ruined by injuries)....Gillis did a great job imo of converting Patrick White into a critical contending piece.  Connauton and Hutton - a pair on not-bad later picks....certainly a lot of room for improvement where drafting was concerned, but I think that's only part of the story.

He understandably prioritized complementing the existing group at the time, but at least he also made that retool deal to get Horvat - without him it's an even more grim 'transition'.

It wasn't exactly and ideal set of circumstances that Benning stepped into, but I don't think that's all on Gillis, his drafting, or having overspent on win now pieces - I think it's more the natural cycle of a team that does little to get out ahead of the need to retool/transition.

Gillis is still being blamed, what a stretch to cover for incompetence. Benning had veteran assets he could have dealt to get multiple picks so players would be close to the same age. Now he has players that will soon be aging out one year after another without having all of them in the window for more than 3 years. One star player per year isn't enough, Boston got 3 in one year and two another with no more of "Benning's" Boston draft picks making the team at all.

The team is loaded with UFA mentors, veterans to show how to play hockey, how to yak to the media about losing all the time and almost enough to get totally trashed in a single playoff round. More UFA'a only shows the dismal lack of evaluation skills by Benning and his long term plans for his own employment, the never ending rebuild, one player per year, 6 drafts = Virtanen, Demko, Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes. Virtanen could be in his 5 or 6 th year of being a pro like Horvat is in his 7th.

If the team needs more UFA's it is because of FAILURE and not failure of the players.

5 minutes ago, Magnifier said:

Gillis is still being blamed, what a stretch to cover for incompetence. Benning had veteran assets he could have dealt to get multiple picks so players would be close to the same age. Now he has players that will soon be aging out one year after another without having all of them in the window for more than 3 years. One star player per year isn't enough, Boston got 3 in one year and two another with no more of "Benning's" Boston draft picks making the team at all.

This makes for a good one-liner - but your analogy falls apart at attempting to suggest he "should have" done what Boston did.  That requires a get real moment - what Canucks assets were going to bring a comparable return to dealing Hamilton, Lucic and Martin Jones?   Can you name a piece aside from Kesler (who did in fact return a 1st) that you think 'should have' returned a 1st round pick?

Basically I think all of the above fee posts make some good points.

Hard to blame Gillis too much, as he came close and the exact same decisions, some better reffing, and an extra win and he is lauded as a hero. 

Benning has has made some blunders for sure, but incompetent is a stretch.  He has just lacked big vision and boldness.  No big trades, just playing around the fringes of the lineup.  Accruing veteran assets, but not flipping them into picks and prospects.

We absolutely have to add several upper end players over the next 2-3 years, and not a lot of options to do it.

• Upvote 1

Wayne Simmonds had a poor contract year, I wonder what kind of term and $ amount it would take to get him? Might be a nice add to EP line allowing us to give Bo a proper winger in Brock.

Simmonds on a 2-3year deal might be okay, shouldnt cost a fortune either

57 minutes ago, oldnews said:

This makes for a good one-liner - but your analogy falls apart at attempting to suggest he "should have" done what Boston did.  That requires a get real moment - what Canucks assets were going to bring a comparable return to dealing Hamilton, Lucic and Martin Jones?   Can you name a piece aside from Kesler (who did in fact return a 1st) that you think 'should have' returned a 1st round pick?

Sedins. Edler, Tanev, a Hamhuis/Garrison combination, do wht Boston did, retain salary to get better picks.

Don't give that crap about "clause" contracts, the Sedins were never asked and Edler's thing was so marshmellowy, almost like an apology instead of a statement.

Have you ever heard of a player with a clause contract saying no, EXCEPT here and the Sundin in TO thing? If so how many? And how many "clause contracts" are traded every year? The common statement from those players is if they aren't wanted they don't want to stay and moving while having the clause allows them more control, they could always be demoted to the AHL, across the country, to Utica to play while the family stays in Vancouver. sure that is hard ball but this isn't a knitting club and winning is the supposed goal. One player does not make a team and one player should not run a team or dictate how the team is run. Linden let the Sedins run this team by not doing what needed to be done years earlier, he played on his reputation to fill the arena while doing nothing to help improve the team.

Gillis draft picks, what a tale, what about Benning draft picks from 5 years ago? How many other teams are better? Or got superior talent? Benning has signed more clause contracts with inflated contracts than all that Gillis has been accused of and where has he led the team? 4 years, the most ever by the Canucks, missing the playoffs, 4 years of losing over 200 games, 200 out of 328, 128 wins in four years, 32W - 50L - 0.390 win percentage over four years. And with a team that bad and drafting that high it is considered a win when 3 players are good? THREE? In 5 years?

Gillis had it right, trade away the star goalies, go with the "cannon fodder" in net, lose an extra 8 games but keep the playoff defence pretty much intact, the Sedins still able to perform, a couple ot top ten picks, i heard Larkin and the next year, possibly a top three pick or better and a retool is done. But these guys got in there and wiped the heart out of the team. What makes anyone think Gillis would have traded Kesler to Anaheim? Why should he, Kesler was under contract, Gillis had some back bone, he could trade him anywhere.

Linden was and still is (in his heart) the NHLPA president and all in for the players first and team second. "It would not be fair" You think Holland thought that as he rode his team to 20 playoff appearances, it would not be fair to Yzerman, or ?

Edited by Magnifier

2 minutes ago, Magnifier said:

1) Sedins. Edler, Tanev, a Hamhuis/2) Garrison combination

1) NMCs = pipe dream

2) dealt for a 2nd

Tanev is still here - as tradeable as ever - and was 23 at the time you're suggesting "should have" been dealt -when Benning arrived here.

So Hamhuis (and likewise to the Sedins, Edler owned a limiting clause)  is the big make/break missed return on the rething?

Sorry but this story doesn't substantiate the one-liner.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

1) NMCs = pipe dream

2) dealt for a 2nd

Tanev is still here - as tradeable as ever - and was 23 at the time you're suggesting "should have" been dealt -when Benning arrived here.

So Hamhuis (and likewise to the Sedins, Edler owned a limiting clause)  is the big make/break missed return on the rething?

Sorry but this story doesn't substantiate the one-liner.

Only the Sedins had NMC's from Gillis, the others came from Benning/Linden.

Duchene was dealt for a 4th overall. Lucic was dealt for a 12th.

Kesler was dealt for nothing, thats a one liner

"The one liner" - The Joke. :lol:

Edited by Magnifier