The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Case for UFA’s

Rate this topic

Provost

Just now, oldnews said:

Please.  nsis.

The Sedins were 50 and 47 pt players, making a combined 14 million at the time Benning took over.  The idea that Benning 'should have' got multiple 1sts for them after the Tortorella gongshow - 'like Boston' or Duchene - is pure fantasy.   If you wanted/expected that type of return on 32 yr old 50 pt $7 million players, you were way to late to the idea.

That is as pipe dream as it gets.

Went off the reservation there for that comment eh?

The Sedins were easily tradeable, a ready made top line, especially in the east where travel would have made playing better for them, let's say to Florida, both with retained 1/2 salary, so now it is two years to two Art Ross trophy winners for 7 mil a season, a ready made line that pretty much anyone could play with, for two 1rst round picks and a top prospect. They did finish their careers with 50+ points each.

Two guaranteed years of making the playoffs. Remember the Sedins killed the eastern teams because they were so much smaller than out here and the Sedins were not tiny at 6'2".

The Kelser trade ended up with the team having nothing, what a joke, a one liner. 

Tortorella, the guy whose team is playing in the playoffs again?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Magnifier said:

Went off the reservation there for that comment eh?

The Sedins were easily tradeable, a ready made top line, especially in the east where travel would have made playing better for them, let's say to Florida, both with retained 1/2 salary, so now it is two years to two Art Ross trophy winners for 7 mil a season, a ready made line that pretty much anyone could play with, for two 1rst round picks and a top prospect. They did finish their careers with 50+ points each.

Two guaranteed years of making the playoffs. Remember the Sedins killed the eastern teams because they were so much smaller than out here and the Sedins were not tiny at 6'2".

The Kelser trade ended up with the team having nothing, what a joke, a one liner. 

Tortorella, the guy whose team is playing in the playoffs again?

douche comment.

and a cool story to follow.

• Haha 2

I agree that they should have had a long term vision when they took over. But the Sedins were never going to be traded & they never should have been. That part is ridiculous.

Anyways, I think this team needs to add some size & some muscle. But this years UFA group concerns me. I wouldn't be giving Simmonds much, his game been trending the wrong way. Giving him a 5 or more years has Eriksson/Lucic potential IMO. Not sold on Ferland either, injuries are becoming a problem for him.

There's still the weaponizing cap space route rather than signing a big UFA deal. I'd look at taking on Callahan's deal from TB if we could get a good asset back. 

On 4/14/2019 at 6:49 AM, Dixon Ward said:

Signing Karlsson if, in a dream scenario, he wanted to play here, would immediately solve our backend.  Edler is one of the best #2 guys in the league and could finally play that.  Hughes could pair with Tanev to form a great 2nd pair with alot of tools.  Stecher/Woo would battle for that spot long term.  Leaving room for Hutton. Juolevi would eventually take over for Edler. Everything would be in its rightful place and our depth would immediately be very good.

Edler Karlsson 

Hughes Tanev

Hutton Stecher 

Juolevi Schenn

Sautner Woo

Brisebois Rafferty

Teves

Tryamkin?

I would go to battle with that top 4.  With the inevitable injuries, we have 9-10 legit nhl defenseman. 

I think, with Markstrom, Edler, and Petersson here, we might just have a chance to land him.  Then we could focus on forward I  the draft.

I don't see us affording EK, Edler and Tanev.  At min Tanev would be dealt.  

I would love to see a Edler EK pairing, but I also want to see an Edler Hughes pairing.  

Getting EK and Hughes, great for 2 years and then EP40 and Hughes are up for huge contracts, Edler likely gone, but Eriksson is still here with an anchor for one more year and Bo will up for another contract.  

Brock will get a big pay day this summer too.  

If we keep adding from the draft and can plug in support players on ELC and decent rfa deals around these guys, then yes.  

That's a huge if.  Especially with a 7/12 contract hanging around our necks.  Also Louongo and the cap recapture could hit in the next 2-3 years.  

I dont want to find this team in the same cap hell that the Leafs and Coilers are in.  

12 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree that they should have had a long term vision when they took over. But the Sedins were never going to be traded & they never should have been. That part is ridiculous.

Anyways, I think this team needs to add some size & some muscle. But this years UFA group concerns me. I wouldn't be giving Simmonds much, his game been trending the wrong way. Giving him a 5 or more years has Eriksson/Lucic potential IMO. Not sold on Ferland either, injuries are becoming a problem for him.

There's still the weaponizing cap space route rather than signing a big UFA deal. I'd look at taking on Callahan's deal from TB if we could get a good asset back. 

They may not hit market given their respective teams current solid runs but I'd gladly add one of NYI's Lee/Nelson or CBJ's Dzingel.

There's options (at least for now) ;)

Edited by aGENT

On 4/13/2019 at 8:36 PM, Provost said:

On various threads I keep seeing people post that we need to stay away from top UFA’s and just be patient and draft players.

They have to do both and they aren’t mutually exclusive.  You don’t stop drafting, you just might have slightly later picks.

Once you clear out the random replaceable players on our roster, we have a ton of holes.  We also have no help coming for the top half of our roster any time soon.  Our closet prospects are MacEwan and Juolevi.  Neither is going to be a top player for quite a while, probably never. The next one up is likely who we draft this summer and he will be 2-4 years from playing meaningful minutes.

This is our roster after next season removing the debris and putting people where they should be on a good team.

XX-Petterson-Boeser

XX-Horvat-XX

Pearson-Gaudette-Leivo

Roussel-Beagle-Virtanen

Edler-XX

Hughes-XX

XX-Stecher

Where are those players coming from?  Trades will just means players out to offset ones coming in.  To draft them and have them develop to be ready we are already at the end of Horvat’s contract and would have wasted years of prime performance of him, Boeser, and Petterson.

Free agents have flaws, and are expensive... but many of them will be better than who we have now.

Panarin will be too expensive, Karlsson is  too old and has many miles on him even for his age, Myers and Gardiner are limited in terms of what they bring.  Lee is a very good player who will get money and term of a better player.

We should still try to get any of them.

Just finished posting this in another thread.

Sign Brock Nelson, if able.

Baer            Petey            Boeser

Nelson        Horvat           Leivo

Roussel      Sutter           Virtanen

Pearson      Beagle          Motte

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

They may not hit market given their respective teams current solid runs but I'd gladly add one of NYI's Lee/Nelson or CBJ's Dzingel.

There's options (at least for now) ;)

For the most part id be avoiding long term contracts this year. Theres certain guys Id make an exception for (Lee might be one), but if some of these guys want 4+ years then we should be out.

Id be more interesting in weaponizing cap space, doing what Carolina did getting Taravinen, doing what Toronto did getting Jake Gardiner. This year alot of teams are going to have to move contracts.

To me this is something we should have been doing before instead of signing our own bad contracts, but there's still time to do it.

Id be more interested in taking James Neal from Calgary for example & getting a good return for doing it than signing Simmonds to a long term + big money deal.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

For the most part id be avoiding long term contracts this year. Theres certain guys Id make an exception for (Lee might be one), but if some of these guys want 4+ years then we should be out.

Id be more interesting in weaponizing cap space, doing what Carolina did getting Taravinen, doing what Toronto did getting Jake Gardiner. This year alot of teams are going to have to move contracts.

To me this is something we should have been doing before instead of signing our own bad contracts, but there's still time to do it.

Id be more interested in taking James Neal from Calgary for example & getting a good return for doing it than signing Simmonds to a long term + big money deal.

Agreed. Same goes with signing Myers IMO. I'd rather focus on other avenues (including trying to lure Tryamkin back if not this, next summer) than sign him for something like $7x7.

I'm ok with taking on guys like Neal but IMO, their contract should have closer to 1-3 years left, not 4+ (so no Lucic either).

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

If anyone wants Erik Karlsson you should have been watching him in this playoff round. He has been nothing short of awful.  PLEASE NO ERIK K.

He missed around 20 games at the end of the year and is playing with a torn groin... 

Edited by canuck73_3

10 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He missed around 20 games at the end of the year and is playing with a torn groin... 

That doesn't make him more attractive on a 7 year contract. 

I would still sign him, but he may be the riskiest UFA signing of this offseason.  Not many guys will command a full 7 year term, and he will be over $10 million per.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

Agreed. Same goes with signing Myers IMO. I'd rather focus on other avenues (including trying to lure Tryamkin back if not this, next summer) than sign him for something like $7x7.

Myers and Tryamkin are nearly the same height, yet Nikita has 40 lbs. on Myers, and can skate just as well. And is 5 years younger. If Tryamkin could be wooed back, Myers shouldn't even be in the conversation, I agree.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Myers and Tryamkin are nearly the same height, yet Nikita has 40 lbs. on Myers, and can skate just as well. And is 5 years younger. If Tryamkin could be wooed back, Myers shouldn't even be in the conversation, I agree.

I just don't see how signing Myers at anything like $7x7 is at all a good idea.

Sign a short term UFA like Stralman. Trade for a decent top 4 guy like Ceci (cheap), Ristolainen (more expensive) or perhaps take advantage of TBL's cap/early playoff exit etc for one of their righties (Tanev could nicely replace a walking Stralman) and continue to try to get Tryamkin back this/next year.

In the mean time, continue developing Hughes, Juolevi, Woo, Rathbone etc plus whoever we add this year at the draft and let the D core evolve organically (with a couple key/support trades/signings).

Edited by aGENT

Karlsson had a big game last night, helping the Sharks advance. Cha-ching!!!

Don't want Myers or Gardiner. Wouldn't mind Stralman or Nemeth on D.

I'd like Eberle or Nyqvist for Bo's line or Skinner for Pettersson's line.