The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Brett Connolly

On 4/15/2019 at 3:23 PM, hammertime said:

Yes please I would rather have Connolly and Neslon for the money it would take to land Panarin. 

^^^^^This. 

Nelson has been remarkably durable (missed 12 games in the past five seasons, playing for Team USA in WC after Isles regular season), has great bloodlines (Dave Christian is his uncle), has size, two-way acumen, and is a UND alumni.  I can see a first line made up of: Nelson (LW) -- Pettersson (C) -- Boeser (RW).

Connolly, after a slow start to his NHL career has solidified himself as a bonafide top nine foward IMO.  Tall (6'3"), but a little light (195 lbs), I can see him on a second line with Bo and Baertschi...Baertschi (LW) -- Bo (C) -- Connolly (RW).  IMO, Connolly would be an upgrade from Leivo.

A third line made up of Pearson (LW) -- Gaudette (C) -- Leivo (RW) could give the Canucks a top nine that could score goals, though Gaudette is still unproven as a third line center.

After seeing Josh Anderson do what he's doing for Columbus, I would be hesitant to give up on Virtanen.  He played his best hockey when he was lined up with Roussel, so I can see a real effective fourth line made up of Roussel (LW) -- Beagle (C) -- Virtanen (RW).

That would leave a bunch of veterans on the outside looking in (Eriksson, Sutter, Granlund, Spooner, Schaller and Motte).  I would buy out Eriksson, trade Sutter, not qualify Granlund, bury Spooner or Schaller, and have Motte and Spooner or Schaller as 13th and 14th forwards.  Eriksson's buy-out would hurt for three years ($5.6M for two and $3.6M for the third), and ease off when the money is really needed. 

5 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

^^^^^This. 

Nelson has been remarkably durable (missed 12 games in the past five seasons, playing for Team USA in WC after Isles regular season), has great bloodlines (Dave Christian is his uncle), has size, two-way acumen, is big, and is a UND alumni.  I can see a first line made up of: Nelson (LW) -- Pettersson (C) -- Boeser (RW).

Connolly, after a slow start to his NHL career has solidified himself as a bonafide top nine foward IMO.  Tall (6'3"), but a little light (195 lbs), I can see him on a second line with Bo and Baertschi...Baertschi (LW) -- Bo (C) -- Connolly (RW).  IMO, Connolly would be an upgrade from Leivo.

A third line made up of Pearson (LW) -- Gaudette (C) -- Leivo (RW) could give the Canucks a top nine that can score goals, though Gaudette is still unproven as a third line center.

After seeing Josh Anderson do what he's doing for Columbus, I would be hesitant to give up on Virtanen.  He played his best hockey when he was lined up with Roussel, so I can see a real effective fourth line made up of Roussel (LW) -- Beagle (C) -- Virtanen (RW).

That would leave a bunch of veterans on the outside looking in (Eriksson, Sutter, Granlund, Spooner, Schaller and Motte).  I would buy out Eriksson, trade Sutter, not qualify Granlund, bury Spooner or Schaller and Motte and Spooner or Schaller as 13th and 14th forwards.  Eriksson's buy-out would hurt for three years ($5.6M for two and $3.6M for the third), and ease off when the money is really needed. 

Agree with everything up to Eriksson I think hes tradable once you waive him and pay that 4m bonus if you retain 50% I think hes at the very least worth future considerations and would cost less than a buy out.

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Agree with everything up to Eriksson I think hes tradable once you waive him and pay that 4m bonus if you retain 50% I think hes at the very least worth future considerations and would cost less than a buy out.

That would be the best case scenario.  I would go as far as trading him for another bad contract, if trading partner is willing to take on full cap hit.

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

^^^^^This. 

Nelson has been remarkably durable (missed 12 games in the past five seasons, playing for Team USA in WC after Isles regular season), has great bloodlines (Dave Christian is his uncle), has size, two-way acumen, and is a UND alumni.  I can see a first line made up of: Nelson (LW) -- Pettersson (C) -- Boeser (RW).

A third line made up of Pearson (LW) -- Gaudette (C) -- Leivo (RW) could give the Canucks a top nine that could score goals, though Gaudette is still unproven as a third line center.

That would leave a bunch of veterans on the outside looking in (Eriksson, Sutter, Granlund, Spooner, Schaller and Motte).  I would buy out Eriksson, trade Sutter, not qualify Granlund, bury Spooner or Schaller, and have Motte and Spooner or Schaller as 13th and 14th forwards.  Eriksson's buy-out would hurt for three years ($5.6M for two and $3.6M for the third), and ease off when the money is really needed. 

Personal preference would be for Panarin still, however your plan makes a lot of sense.  I like the depth you have on each line and also like your plan to rid yourself of unneeded contracts.

16 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

You guys might be right but my concern is paying for his peak.  I just envision a scenario where we pay him 4.5 over 4 years and he gets 35 points a year.  Just feels like we have a few of those guys already in Pearson, Leivo, Spooner etc.  I would rather target a buy low type guy with a higher ceiling like Puljujarvi/Burakovsky and then sign Panarin.  Gives you a safe top talent and a player than could surprise.

Well if he's too expensive than don't sign him. Simple as that,

That being said, if you're worried about signing someone like Connelly and then suggesting to sign Panarin. You know how expensive Panarin's going to be once he's on the market because we are literally talking about Tavares caliber and Tavares took a discount in Toronto, so probably at least 11mil per season.

I want them to sign Eberle, for Bo's wing. He is proving to be a clutch playoff performer. Enough of giving false hope by signing more bottom 6 guys.

Also, I don't want Karlsson. I wouldn't mind Myers, but it depends on the cost.

41 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I want them to sign Eberle, for Bo's wing. He is proving to be a clutch playoff performer. Enough of giving false hope by signing more bottom 6 guys.

Given how Eberle's playing right now, I would be very surprised if he was even available. The Islanders are likely to sign him before FA.

7 hours ago, The Lock said:

Well if he's too expensive than don't sign him. Simple as that,

That being said, if you're worried about signing someone like Connelly and then suggesting to sign Panarin. You know how expensive Panarin's going to be once he's on the market because we are literally talking about Tavares caliber and Tavares took a discount in Toronto, so probably at least 11mil per season.

Definitely see what you mean but I would assume Connolly will be around 4.5.  If he regresses we are in redundant territory.  If Panarin regresses then he will be in the 65-70 point range which is still a huge boost (could still be top scorer on the team) with a likely boost for those around him like Petey and Boeser. Agreed that he is in the 10-11 million range but he’s in a better age range than most UFAs.

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Eberle is a good option as well.  Pretty stable skill set that works with Bo and maybe Pearson.  

Archived