The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Selke Trophy finalists unveiled

2019 Selke Trophy  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Oh Ottawa that trade looks even more horriable now, what a fleecing by vegas

If you knew about Erik Brannstrom, you wouldn't say that.

And he was traded at deadline. It's not like they didn't know what they had in Stone.

21 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Oh Ottawa that trade looks even more horriable now, what a fleecing by vegas

5 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

agreed on a contract structure  within a few hours of the trade

Clearly the contract negotiations were part of the trade.

Vegas said they would not trade Brannstrom for Erik Karlsson. But I imagine Karlsson was not committing to an extension. Vegas would have been given permission to negotiate with Stone before the deal by Ottawa. And it was not that bad in the context he was UFA, they could lose him for nothing!  

The only reason I dislike Bergeron is because he whined about Burrows 'biting' his glove, when he stuck his glove in Burrows' face and even had the audacity to show the ref his ungloved finger as if Burrows bit hard enough to show teeth marks through a hockey glove. If you can play with a broken rib, hole in your lung, and separated shoulder, don't be a baby about a bite. Whiner.

55 minutes ago, J-23 said:

If Bergeron wins this, he will have the most Selke wins at a count of 5. Correct me if I am wrong?

Yep.  Gainey would have had a lot more if the trophy that his play inspired was available from his rookie year onward, the same way Shore would have 10 plus Norris trophies if they were available back then.  That said it’s no knock on Bergeron, he’s undoubtedly HHOF bound and if he wins he deserves it.   One thing I do have to say is the Selke has moved off its roots a bit, check out how many points Gainey was getting when he won it, if it was like today Tonelli would have four or five  and Gainey would be on outside looking in.  Gainey was an absolute monster to play against, he’d shadow and shut down the leagues best and pot a few goals in occasionally...impressive given his plus minus and relative competition with the stars of that era.    This is a deserving list  regardless, and I’m ok with how the award has evolved.  

44 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Clearly the contract negotiations were part of the trade.

Vegas said they would not trade Brannstrom for Erik Karlsson. But I imagine Karlsson was not committing to an extension. Vegas would have been given permission to negotiate with Stone before the deal by Ottawa. And it was not that bad in the context he was UFA, they could lose him for nothing!  

Absolutely.  And the better Vegas does the better the conditional pick.  OTT paid dearly for Duchene in the end, but managed OK overall and have a bevy if picks (17 or something like that) coming to them.   For those that think we’ve done ok, and we have considering, the rebuild for both OTT and NYR could be turbocharged.  Also OTT has a long history of drafting well above their ADP, just look who’s on their team now (Chabot, White, Batherson) and where was Stone drafted again?  They have a great scouting team, and if it continues their fortunes will turn around sooner than later.  Now if only they’d get a new owner that doesn’t meddle and do stupid things like lose 900 million by not accepting a boards decision (and now he’s out) they’d be in a much better situation.  

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.  And the better Vegas does the better the conditional pick.  OTT paid dearly for Duchene in the end, but managed OK overall and have a bevy if picks (17 or something like that) coming to them.   For those that think we’ve done ok, and we have considering, the rebuild for both OTT and NYR could be turbocharged.  Also OTT has a long history of drafting well above their ADP, just look who’s on their team now (Chabot, White, Batherson) and where was Stone drafted again?  They have a great scouting team, and if it continues their fortunes will turn around sooner than later.  Now if only they’d get a new owner that doesn’t meddle and do stupid things like lose 900 million by not accepting a boards decision (and now he’s out) they’d be in a much better situation.  

Yes they got polaxed trading for Duchesne. One of the dumbest trades I have ever seen.. And some unfortunate things with Hoffman, their owner, cabs.

Bu I also agree; they have some great finds in White, Chabot, made quite a few other good decisions. Done well overall drafting. Tkachuk is probably the equivalent to the 4th overall this year. So picking last year did not turn out so bad. That could have haunted them if they had lost out on the 1st overall. 

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes they got polaxed trading for Duchesne. One of the dumbest trades I have ever seen.. And some unfortunate things with Hoffman, their owner, cabs.

Bu I also agree; they have some great finds in White, Chabot, made quite a few other good decisions. Done well overall drafting. Tkachuk is probably the equivalent to the 4th overall this year. So picking last year did not turn out so bad. That could have haunted them if they had lost out on the 1st overall. 

I’d say the fourth this year won’t be as good as BT, it turned out to be the right decision, they played the odds which were even if they were DFL they’d still more than likely pick 4, and last years draft was much better on paper then this years.  The second tier went all the way to Whalstrom or around eleven with even better guys available to six or seven, equivalent to only a couple guys this year (Cozens, Dach, Byram).  This draft is underwhelming ok paper anyway, time will tell but I’d definitely say there was some sighs of relief at the lottery.  

OTT has an impressive group of under 21ers, and an even more impressive bounty of draft picks that will start this year and pay some big dividends.    A few years of sucking will only serve them better too, give them some credit they cleaned house in short order and are embracing a rebuild.

Stone should win, but I'm amazed Barkov isn't a finalist. I really expected him to win it this year since I kept hearing people rave about how he was so underrated (ironically enough). I have him a finalist and rank my top 4 as follows:

1. Stone

2. Bergeron

3. Barkov

4. O'Rielly

12 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Will be interesting to see if Bo ended up getting any substantial votes.

I imagine he'll get a few because of his faceoffs and PK time, but I think a lot of his other defensive numbers aren't strong enough to give him a fighting chance.

Archived