The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is there a pending RFA would gladly surrender four 1st round picks in an offer sheet?

Which player? If any  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can't remember the last time a GM used an offer sheet, but I think it is frowned upon throughout the league.

If the Nucks were going to go against the grain and do one, I would go for Trouba under 8m.  He would be worth a 1, 2 & 3 (rounders).  He's certainly would be worth it; especially for the Canucks.

I would hate to see our team give up 4 -1st round picks for any of the RFAs this year.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:07 AM, SabreFan1 said:

If all the Canucks needed was 1 player to get into contention for the Cup, I'd likely agree.  Problem is that the Canucks need several more players to get into contention and losing the next 4 first round picks would not only hurt the big club, but it would put a dent in the minor league affiliated clubs as well.

Like I said in my previous post. It would only hurt our franchise if we didn’t already have a solid foundation of young guys already on this team. Marner, Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, Demko, and  this upcoming 10 overall pick, will be our core players you can build around. While Juoveli, Woo, Gaudette, Madden, Dipietro, and whoever we draft in this upcoming draft will be the secondary group of guys.

As far as future cap problems. You can always worry about that when the time comes, but I don’t really expect it to be that much of a problem, with Sutter, Bärtschi, Pearson, Markstrom, and Tanev coming off the books.

Marner - 11M

Pettersson - 8-9M

Boeser - 6M

Hughes - 4-5M

On 4/18/2019 at 3:38 PM, BCNate said:

Why not?  That is our last 4 1st round picks.  If you sign Marner, your coughing up your next 4.

3 out of our 4 draft picks in those previous years were top 10 picks. I highly doubt the next four will be in the top 10, if we add a player like Marner. There is a chance you can draft a superstar in the latter first round, but the probability is perhaps maybe less than 30% of it happening. I’ll take my chances on Toronto finding a superstar, four years in a row, in exchange for adding a top 10 player in the league any given day.

Edited by shiznak

It's essentially a roll of a dice. The player has to be good enough for the team to be able to make the playoffs in each of the four seasons. Imagine losing Boeser, Juolevi, Pettersson, and Hughes for a player like Point or Marner. Definitely not worth it.

Now if it was Jensen, Gaunce, Horvat, and Virtanen, it definitely seems more intriguing. 

The only player on the list I would consider it for is Rantanen. Elite-level player who is 6'4 and 215 pounds. Marner and Point would be amazing but at the same time, adding Rantanen would give the Canucks a power forward up-front. Colorado would match in an instant though.

Edited by Darkstar

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2019 at 5:51 AM, Darkstar said:

It's essentially a roll of a dice. The player has to be good enough for the team to be able to make the playoffs in each of the four seasons. Imagine losing Boeser, Juolevi, Pettersson, and Hughes for a player like Point or Marner. Definitely not worth it.

Now if it was Jensen, Gaunce, Horvat, and Virtanen, it definitely seems more intriguing. 

The only player on the list I would consider it for is Rantanen. Elite-level player who is 6'4 and 215 pounds. Marner and Point would be amazing but at the same time, adding Rantanen would give the Canucks a power forward up-front. Colorado would match in an instant though.

Matthew Tkachuk, Rantanen,

Or this ONE - Alexis Lafrenière

4 first round picks only work for a generational player in RFA.  Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin, Karlsson etc.  There aren’t any in that list just all stars.  Not worth 4.  If I had to pick 1/2 it would be Rantanen or Laine as they are the types of players that you never find in FA or trades.  Marner and Tkachuk have likely peaked and worried about a drop overall.