The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Deal With Philly

TRADE

To Philadelphia: Jacob Markstrom, 2019 2nd round pick (maybe a 3rd instead?)

To Vancouver: Andrew MacDonald (cap dump), 2019 1st round pick (11th overall)

Why for Philadelphia: Philly wants to be competing now.  Some of their core forwards are guys like Giroux and Voracek who are 31 and 29.  Carter Hart took a great step forward this year, but it would be unwise to throw all the responsibility on his shoulders.  He is still only 20 years old.  Their other goalies are either injury prone or not very good any more.  Talbot and Elliott are free agents.  This deal gives Philly a legit pairing of top goalies, so that Hart can be stepped into a full time role.  Markstrom has one more year left at a reasonable price, but could also re-sign after that.  Markstrom could be a key piece of the Flyers making the playoffs next year.  The Flyers also dump the last year of MacDonald to free up some cap space.  He only played 16 minutes per game for 47 games last year. 

Why for Vancouver: Markstrom had a really good year, and is a key piece of our team.  However he has one year left on his contract, and he's likely not the long-term guy for the Canucks with Demko (and DiPietro) waiting in the wings.  It doesn't make sense for us to fully turn it over to Demko yet, but trading Markstrom now makes sense for a rebuilding franchise to get a top pick in return.  We can then sign a veteran to pair with Demko.  Philly is aimed more to win now, Canucks are still in the rebuilding process.  MacDonald is a veteran presence on our blueline this year, and if he has a good season we can maybe flip him at the deadline.

SIGN

Sign Varlamov on a 2-3 year deal this offseason to replace Markstrom.  Or a backup option of Elliott.

DRAFT

At #10 and #11 overall draft two of Soderstrom, Krebs, Boldy, Newhook or Broberg. Or possibly package them together to make a move up the draft board.  Maybe offer Colorado #10, #11 for #4, 2020 1st round pick (top five protected).  Then draft Byram.

Value seems pretty even to me, but I'm not sold on Demko as a starter just yet. There's no guarantee we get Varlamov or Elliott and it's very likely that both are worse than Markstrom, making us a worse team for next year. 

Hart wants Talbot so I am pretty sure Philly re-signs him.

What’s very important is that he has a strong relationship with Hart after the two goaltenders worked together this past summer. Talbot will know exactly what his role is moving forward.

“We partnered up and took the ice for goalie sessions this summer,” Hart said this month. “He’s a great mentor, he’s a good guy, a great goalie. He’s the guy I called before my first start to ask about pregame jitters and what to expect.” 

What kind of message are you delivering to the team when someone plays extremely well and you reward him by dealing him?

no-deal-stamp-text-inside-illustration-108503171.jpg.e11acc2dea2a38b041cded687859a6d5.jpg

• Like 2

The one thing I don’t want to do is deal our goalies.  That is currently a true area of strength so let’s not weaken it.  Keep our tandem until the expansion draft and plan what to do protection wise leading up to it.  Lots of things can change up until then so don’t mess with the goalie tandem.  Too me that is untouchable for now.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 1

I think you have picked a good team to make a deal with but I question everything else.

Carolina and Philly are two teams we should be talking to a lot.  They both have a surplus of young D men.  There have been rumours that Ghost may be available given all the good young D in Philly's system.

They are not dumb enough to give a first round pick for a goalie with one year left and has only been a good starter for half a season.  Then again, this is Philly and that is exactly the sort of thing they have done for the last 20 years.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I think you have picked a good team to make a deal with but I question everything else.

Carolina and Philly are two teams we should be talking to a lot.  They both have a surplus of young D men.  There have been rumours that Ghost may be available given all the good young D in Philly's system.

They are not dumb enough to give a first round pick for a goalie with one year left and has only been a good starter for half a season.  Then again, this is Philly and that is exactly the sort of thing they have done for the last 20 years.

Markstrom would also block Carter Hart and they see him as their starter for years to come.  

Fletcher has no previous ties to Philadelphia so he's unlikely to follow past patterns.  He acquired Dubnyk for a 3rd round pick the season he got named for the Vezina.    

Vigneault's system of wanting the Ds jump into the play should fit Gostisbehere.  Don't think they'll move a young D that is just one season remote from 65pts and signed to a very reasonable contract, before seeing if he can get back on track under Vigneault.  

1 hour ago, mll said:

Markstrom would also block Carter Hart and they see him as their starter for years to come.  

Fletcher has no previous ties to Philadelphia so he's unlikely to follow past patterns.  He acquired Dubnyk for a 3rd round pick the season he got named for the Vezina.    

Vigneault's system of wanting the Ds jump into the play should fit Gostisbehere.  Don't think they'll move a young D that is just one season remote from 65pts and signed to a very reasonable contract, before seeing if he can get back on track under Vigneault.  

Just saying there was a rumour that he was available because of the depth there. Not saying is good idea or even true. 

They have some good pieces and a really good young d. Not a bad spot for AV.