The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - NJD

To NJD

2019th 10th pick. 2020 1st no lotto, Julevi, 1 of Demko/Dipietro

To Van

1st overall

Salespitch:

Edmonton is the prime example of trading 1st overalls for assets. You need a team behind Nico. We can give them enough pieces and offer super fair value. We want to complete our rebuild and feel this is an opportunity to avoid becoming edmonton for the next decade. 

25 minutes ago, 6string said:

no-deal-stamp-text-inside-illustration-108503171.jpg.41ea17037c268a6aaed1495740cff3eb.jpg

• Haha 1

I would do that deal if we could find an alternative to trading Demko/DiPietro. I don't want to lose our goaltender depth, although I think I would still do it for DiPietro. 

Edited by Fateless

NJ says no, and it makes no sense for us to pay the price it would cost.

Take the player we get this year, & next year's draft will get us another really good player. (Even w/ a lower pick, we might get a better player than this yr). 

Jack Hughes won't put us over the top, so just stay the course. Don't risk anything.

As the flames just showed,you cant have smallier players come playoffs.If the canucks do trade up Kakko is their guy.Played well against men this year(see Petey40) is 6'2 194 and going to get bigger.Let's stop with the Hughes talk.The big Finn should be the only player the Canucks should have on the board if they want to move up.They need to get bigger.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, cowboy644 said:

As the flames just showed,you cant have smallier players come playoffs.If the canucks do trade up Kakko is their guy.Played well against men this year(see Petey40) is 6'2 194 and going to get bigger.Let's stop with the Hughes talk.The big Finn should be the only player the Canucks should have on the board if they want to move up.They need to get bigger.

So we go for second overall...and trade what?  One of Horvat, Boeser plus this years pick (which it still will take) No thanks.  Why don’t we just draft Boldy, he has size and is one of the best scorers their system has ever seen (that’s what they say about him), we’d have two trigger men, well three as EP can also blast pucks.   I know we need defenseman too but think we are almost past the point where drafting one makes any sense with the age of the core and the talent level available this year, Soderstrom and Broberg wouldn’t draft high in last years draft, maybe around where Woo was ranked (low 20’s), only Byram is a high end talent, maybe somewhere in between Hughes and Bouchard.  

We could get a solid number two at best, likely a second pairing guy, or a top line sniper at best, likely a top line winger.  Which one is better?  We need both...but worry that Soderstrom will be another OJ (he doesn’t do anything elite, just has a high floor), Broberg has more upside but could be a flop, but at least he’s fast and that’s one thing he’s got going for him and his size, still he’s very raw and won’t be playing NHL games anytime soon.  Think the forward is definitely the safer pick.  We could always use our second again for a defenseman and just continue to build depth that way.  Tough call really each has pros and cons.

18 minutes ago, cowboy644 said:

On and I’d add TB to that too, they have one of the smallest forward groups in the league and are one of the smallest and lightest teams too, even when Hedman plays...

This years playoff results could be the start of the next “trend”...I hope WSH wins again or WNP...size does matter come playoff time and this PIT trend where skating trumps all is getting old.

Edited by IBatch

13 hours ago, HughMungus said:

To NJD

2019th 10th pick. 2020 1st no lotto, Julevi, 1 of Demko/Dipietro

To Van

1st overall

Salespitch:

Edmonton is the prime example of trading 1st overalls for assets. You need a team behind Nico. We can give them enough pieces and offer super fair value. We want to complete our rebuild and feel this is an opportunity to avoid becoming edmonton for the next decade. 

um

using coilers as a model for building a franchise

is simply bizarre

if i was a team gm i would do my best to completely ignore that team

when assessing best way to build my team

i'd be looking at the very strong nhl teams

and model what i'm doing based on them with some tweaking

elite draft picks (top 3) really are not moved

the thinking that diluting elite talent by trading 1 player for multiples

is counter the thinking of most experienced gms

who believe you find a small core of elite talent to build your team around as that talent is rare and very hard to obtain

and then add the rest in lower priority planning decisions

29 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Will Butcher + ????

I would prefer Right shot Severson over the lefty myself. Maybe if NJ tries to sign Hall to an extension and he doesn't put pen to paper he gets put in the deal?

Severson, Wood/Zacha 2 of their 3 2nd round picks this year and another 2nd round pick next year that becomes a 1st if they make the playoffs? NJ has the assets to acquire Quinn a lot easier than Canucks acquring Jack. 

I say JB should be hoping Shero calls him up, I know it wont be a popular topic among CDC but if the return is good enough I consider it....not saying I take it

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

NJ has the assets to acquire Quinn a lot easier than Canucks acquring Jack. 

Vancouver has NEVER had a defenceman like Quinn Hughes. Speaking for myself, I have been waiting fifty years for a player like him to fall into Vancouver's lap. So has every other Vancouver fan who was a hockey fan before Vancouver ever entered the league. Benning knows this, too. He is not about to sell Hughes off at any price. No, not even for Taylor Hall, Nico Hishier or any other combination that New Jersey might come up with. Not happening.