The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van/TBL

To Vancouver: Ryan Callahan RW & Cal Foote RD

To Tampa: Nikolai Goldobin LW/RW & Jake Virtanen RW/LW

Tampa is facing major salary cap issues and they need to free up cap space. Callahan's contract is 5'8 million for one more year. Goldy and Jake are cheap replacements who could both use a change of scenery. Tampa has had good luck with Russians. Cal Foote is the main piece returning for us. He just had a solid year in the AHL. This allows Tampa the cap space to sign Brayden Point. 

• Upvote 1

Again Callahan has a NTC. He’d be agreeing to leaving a yearly Stanley Cup favourite where he pays no taxes. Add in the kicker of going to a rebuilding team where he has to pay taxes. Would you agree to that deal? He’d probably lose millions on taxes alone with what’s left on his deal. I wouldn’t waive to leave anywhere if I was him.

• Upvote 1

Tampa's defense is likely gonna get overhauled this summer due to cap. I can't see them giving up a cheap potential top 4 d-man for a 3rd line winger. And it gets discussed to death in every single Tampa proposal, Callahan is not likely to waive here. Tampa has better taxes, they are a better team as of now, and it's very low key being a hockey player there in comparison to here. 

14 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Better off targeting JT Miller or Yanni gourde. They’re top 6 players who Tampa can’t afford. They may be available for cheap. 

Would also be interested in Tyler Johnson 

They do have obvious cap issues but how low would they be willing to sell these guys for?  I'd love to get either of these aggressive wingers for the top-6 left wing spots.

Back to the original proposal, IF Callahan would waive for us I'd love for J.B. to sell a higher pick e.g. a 2nd and one of the forwards in the OP to also get Erik Cernak in return.  Him with Hughes would be great, as he's got an underrated shot and is also tough (you've got to be tough to fight Tom Wilson).  

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Van/TBL