The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sri Lanka blasts: 359 dead in 7 explosions in churches, hotels on Easter

nuckin_futz

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Not sure I support that.  If the family is running a terrorist training camp, bank rolling the perversion sure...

Yeah, sure it does.

Its why persecution boils underground for generations. Breeds terrorist after terrorist.

Kill their mother. There wont be any deep seeded resentment?

Its why the terror becomes stealth.

True for most terror, however, as history shows you, the bulk majority of historical Islamic terrorism/genocide is fuelled by the hardliners following their religion to the T. 

I am not endorsing Israeli morality, i am simply observing the results ( which are too early to tell with much certainty, in any case). 

5 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

True for most terror, however, as history shows you, the bulk majority of historical Islamic terrorism/genocide is fuelled by the hardliners following their religion to the T. 

I am not endorsing Israeli morality, i am simply observing the results ( which are too early to tell with much certainty, in any case). 

Pretty sure Timothy McVeigh was not a muslim.....

All countries / all religions have their nutters.....

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pretty sure Timothy McVeigh was not a muslim.....

All countries / all religions have their nutters.....

Sure, i am simply pointing out the reality that islamic terror isn't historically reliant on ' historical grivances' like some would have us believe. All religions having nutters do not equate to all religions are equally tolerant/inciting of violence either. As a left-leaning guy who's had plenty of leftist influence, this is DECISIVELY where the left is wrong, due to its preponderance towards atheistic marxist ideology towards religion: they think all religons are more or less the same. They are not. They are very different from each other, produce very different effects through history for the individual and the society.

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

Yes, he was.  He also went to lengths to proclaim that Bin Laden was not Muslim.  I don't recall any fact-checkers calling him out for that statement either. 

He has repeatedly and deliberately taken steps to distance Muslims who commit terrorist activities from Islam, I presume in an effort to appease any Muslim (or left-leaning US voter) who might take offense at any slight derived from the real connection.

Look up any Christian church shooting... I challenge you to find Obama send comfort to Christians.  He consistently sends words of support to Muslims (identified as such) when a mosque is attacked, but never uses the word "Christian" when they are attacked.  Why is that?

Your missing the point.

I know countless muslims who don't agree that any terrorist is acting in the best interests, or in accordance with their faith. Obama & billions of people would not accept that Bin Laden was a reflection of that faith. And Obama, like all leaders, condemned countless acts of violence, school shootings, terrorist acts regardless of the victim.  

At the end of the day they are a cultural group. Among whom the vast majority abhor terrorism & violence. Protest vehemently that these acts reflect their religion. You cannot lump the peaceful, law abiding muslims in as terrorists just because there are muslim terrorists. Just like you should not persecute Christians. Or atheists? Because there are extreme right fascist terrorists. "Oh that white kid, muslim kid, Sudanese kid, aboriginal kid broke in to my car, lets go pitch fork his brother! Get rid of the lof them..."   

Its that very thinking that escalates issues. 

Its like any form of war. These are power struggles where the zealots rise. Because they are angrier, more determined. Their real goal is power. They'll use any excuse, religious, past persecution they suffered. But its the act of war that is the issue just like the kid who broke into the car. And the more hatred for different groups, the more the anger is stirred. The more war, the more terrorism you will see.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Your missing the point.

I know countless muslims who don't agree that any terrorist is acting in the best interests, or in accordance with their faith. Obama & billions of people would not accept that Bin Laden was a reflection of that faith. And Obama, like all leaders, condemned countless acts of violence, school shootings, terrorist acts regardless of the victim.  

At the end of the day they are a cultural group. Among whom the vast majority abhor terrorism & violence. Protest vehemently that these acts reflect their religion. You cannot lump the peaceful, law abiding muslims in as terrorists just because there are muslim terrorists. Just like you should not persecute Christians. Or atheists? Because there are extreme right fascist terrorists. "Oh that white kid, muslim kid, Sudanese kid, aboriginal kid broke in to my car, lets go pitch fork his brother! Get rid of the lof them..."   

Very well said.   

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Your missing the point.

Its like any form of war. These are power struggles where the zealots rise. Because they are angrier, more determined. Their real goal is power. They'll use any excuse, religious, past persecution they suffered. But its the act of war that is the issue just like the kid who broke into the car. And the more hatred for different groups, the more the anger is stirred. The more war, the more terrorism you will see.

Have you ever attended a mosque ?
Have you read the Koran ? The Hadiths ? On what basis do you form the assumption of such sweeping statements re: religions ??

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

It sure sounded like you were cheering it on.

And I disagree. The hardliners are distorting the religion, using it as a excuse weapon. Wont die themselves, goad someone else into it. ''In the name of Allah!'' I don't dispute it exists. I also know many muslims who don't believe they will go to heaven if they die killing someone in a suicide bomb attack. It does not matter what religion either. 

Unfortunately I have met people who believe you should stone gay people to death. "In the name of religion.'' Or that a virgin girl should be killed if she was raped. Because she is an adulterer? These are also views that are dangerous. And exist. And in many religions.

Many flee to a safer place. Others die because they don't have that luxury. A virtual certainty will occur. A completely different gay person will shoot everyone in a church, or blow up a Punjabi temple, a mosque.     

The world is full of hate.

Perversions of religion the most common excuse.

We have to see through it.

If it is to ever end?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Have you ever attended a mosque ?
Have you read the Koran ? The Hadiths ? On what basis do you form the assumption of such sweeping statements re: religions ??

No I don't read the bible, or the Koran. Or attempt to justify hate, which you may be? I have been in Ismali & Punjabi temples, synagogues & bell shaped churches.

I took this very picture myself.

Funny enough, only days earlier on the same trip I got stuck in Singapore at the airport. On my way to Mumbai when a different terrorist attack occurred. I missed it by 4 hours. 

image.thumb.png.d6f1604cb23328c150436f392eb68154.png

This particular mosque is thousands of years old. Used to be a catholic church. I have been to them all.

Any more questions?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It sure sounded like you were cheering it on.

What things 'sound like', when not stated, over written medium,is the problem of the reader,not the writer. I wrote something, which did not say anything decisively. You, the reader, is obligated to clarify with the writer, if there is a hidden meaning/insinuation or not. Not the other way round. 

I wonder why education in the western world has fallen off so much in the recent years to abandon this axiom that is employed pretty much by everyone, even the westerners (till recently). 

And I disagree. The hardliners are distorting the religion, using it as a excuse weapon. Wont die themselves, goad someone else into it. ''In the name of Allah!'' I don't dispute it exists. I also know many muslims who don't believe they will go to heaven if they die killing someone in a suicide bomb attack. It does not matter what religion either. 

Again, have you read the Gita, Koran, Bible, Tripitaka and its surrounding literature ? If not, what do you base your 'hardliners distorting religion' carte blanche on all religions ?!

Unfortunately I have met people who believe you should stone gay people to death. "In the name of religion.'' Or that a virgin girl should be killed if she was raped. Because she is an adulterer? These are also views that are dangerous. And exist. And in many religions.

'Many' religions ? State which religions think so. You are yet again, going the route of 'all religons have the same nutters, the same story, the same ideology, the same impact' axiom of the marxists without any substantial basis. 

Many flee to a safer place. Others die because they don't have that luxury. A virtual certainty will occur. A completely different gay person will shoot everyone in a church, or blow up a Punjabi temple, a mosque.     

The world is full of hate.

Perversions of religion the most common excuse.

We have to see through it.

If it is to ever end?

Things only end when the two following conditions are met: understanding of the specific problem and the desire to mete out a solution. The left or the right, for that matter, has neither ingredient. The right is too busy disguising its racism for brown-skinned people under ' dem muslims' trope, the left is too busy countering it with the equally dangerous and fallacious trope of ' all religions are the same, they all do the same damn things, there are nutters in every religion' to prove its not racist. Hence problem will not be dealt with and is not being dealt with. 

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Your missing the point.

I don't think I am missing the point.

I fully understand that there are numerous Muslims who do not support terrorism being performed by other Muslims.  That does not mean that those terrorists do not identify as Muslims.  Acknowledging that identification in no way lumps together the terrorists with the peaceful, law-abiding Muslims, except in the eyes of many on the left.  Or, if indeed it does lump them together, why the hell is that standard not used equally when it comes to Christians (or white people, or...)

When Obama condemned the shooting in New Zealand, he clearly condemned White Nationalists (and rightfully so, I will add), and offered condolences to the Muslim community.  Again, rightly so.  Yet, he NEVER condemns Muslim terrorists as such, just the act they perpetrate.  He completely refuses to use the words "Muslim" or "Islam" along with "terrorism", except as an attempt to separate the group from the act.  Yet if Christians are the target of an attack, he does not offer condolences to the Christian community.  Ever.  He lumps his condolences to the town/city/community as a whole.  He also has no concerns about linking Christians terrorists to their faith.  Why the double standard?

There are numerous articles trying to paint Trump as supporting White Nationalists because his words against them are not strong enough, why isn't the same scorn taken against Obama and other Democrats who do the exact same thing when it comes to terrorism committed by Muslims?  This constant bias by Democrats and their media is disgusting.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

No I don't read the bible, or the Koran.

Then therefore, you have no informed basis on making statements re: Islam, Christianity, Judaism, et al. If you have not read the material, your proclamations of how fundamentalists of religion X or religion Y work, is irrelevant & un-informed opinions. 

Or attempt to justify hate, which you may be? I have been in Ismali & Punjabi temples, synagogues & bell shaped churches.

I took this very picture myself.

Funny enough, only days earlier on the same trip I got stuck in Singapore at the airport. On my way to Mumbai when a different terrorist attack occurred. I missed it by 4 hours. 

And none of it has anything to do with the incorrectness of your position that ' X number of nutters/fanatics will exploit power in all religions equally, by promoting hatred and division'. That is a marxist position, perpetrated by ignorance of Marx and Engels himself, along with the modern atheist academia ( philsophy departments) that make the fallacious argument that all religions are the same. 

They are not. 

This particular mosque is thousands of years old. Used to be a catholic church. I have been to them all.

Any more questions?

Irrelevant. 

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I don't think I am missing the point.

I fully understand that there are numerous Muslims who do not support terrorism being performed by other Muslims.  That does not mean that those terrorists do not identify as Muslims.  Acknowledging that identification in no way lumps together the terrorists with the peaceful, law-abiding Muslims, except in the eyes of many on the left.  Or, if indeed it does lump them together, why the hell is that standard not used equally when it comes to Christians (or white people, or...)

When Obama condemned the shooting in New Zealand, he clearly condemned White Nationalists (and rightfully so, I will add), and offered condolences to the Muslim community.  Again, rightly so.  Yet, he NEVER condemns Muslim terrorists as such, just the act they perpetrate.  He completely refuses to use the words "Muslim" or "Islam" along with "terrorism", except as an attempt to separate the group from the act.  Yet if Christians are the target of an attack, he does not offer condolences to the Christian community.  Ever.  He lumps his condolences to the town/city/community as a whole.  He also has no concerns about linking Christians terrorists to their faith.  Why the double standard?

There are numerous articles trying to paint Trump as supporting White Nationalists because his words against them are not strong enough, why isn't the same scorn taken against Obama and other Democrats who do the exact same thing when it comes to terrorism committed by Muslims?  This constant bias by Democrats and their media is disgusting.

The situation re: Islam and Muslims, is aptly summarized by several former muslims like Maajid Nawaz, Armin Nawabi, Ayan Hirsi Ali or even far more famous ones like Salman Rushdie, Taslima Nasreen :

In the west, the right-wing is 100% wrong about Muslims, while the left-wing is 100% wrong about Islam. As long as this west-centric POV towards Islam exists, with most western people either busy seeing themselves as defenders of whiteness or demonstrating their allegience to the non-racist club as the main goal, the problem will continue. 

On 4/21/2019 at 9:46 AM, CBH1926 said:

Age of social media has brought us so called e thugs.

Edgy types of assholes that lack balls to express their messed up opinions in public.

Hiding behind computer they have no fear of ass kicking!

Or in hockey terms:  "the instigator penalty".

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

The acoustics in that church must be incredible, great venue for my stereo.

It was amazing, like seeing the pyramids.  Here is another picture, and one from outside. So vast I had to stand back almost 400 metres to fit in my lens.  Mosaic tiles in the same temple depicting Jesus Christ...

The world is also a very cool place!

image.thumb.png.00536ea430f540c651c88db32d03643c.pngimage.thumb.png.8ad2661b4d654b7a1ef28dea4aa3bb5e.png

I had coffee with these three Muslims who let me take their picture in the market. It was a great day. They were not terrorists BTW, nor am I. its all good for anyone worried...

image.thumb.png.676a22584eda4497f7bd3db76ff50cc5.png

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

It was amazing, like seeing the pyramids.  Here is another picture, and one from outside. So vast I had to stand back almost 400 metres to fit in my lens.  Mosaic tiles in the same temple depicting Jesus Christ...

The world is also a very cool place!

image.thumb.png.00536ea430f540c651c88db32d03643c.png

I had coffee with these three Muslims who let me take their picture in the market. It was a great day. They were not terrorists BTW, nor am I. its all good for anyone worried...

What Mosque is that..... ?

I visited the Blue Mosque in Istanbul when i  was younger...

Super beautiful place and people....

320135_orig.jpg

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The world needs more love and respect....  WAY too much intolerance and hate in our world right now.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1