The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I disagree with the Masses this foward group is not the probem

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

53 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Watching the physicality of the playoffs, Baertschi would really struggle to be effective in that environment.  We will need more size and aggressiveness in our top 6 if we are going to be successful in the playoffs.  Guys like Nathan McKinnon, Rantanen etc. are built for playoffs, guys like Johnny and Baertschi are not.   Same on our D...you can have one or maybe two smaller guys provided they are fast, quick and smart but when the game turns to playoffs, size and physicality really matter. 

Baer is one of the more physical fwds and probably the best of the bunch along the boards.  I don't know where this idea came from that Baer is a small, soft player.  Hes not.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

1st Pettersson Boeser
2nd Horvat
3rd Baertschi Pearson Roussel Leivo
4th Virtanen Eriksson Gaudette Beagle Granlund 
Extra Motte Schaller Sutter
AHL Goldobin Spooner

We need 3 more top 6 players to either step up or get picked up via UFA to truly contend... On a lot of teams, Virtanen would still be on an AHL contract "getting good" in the A, Gaudette would've been down there too, developing.

Baertschi and Pearson are good enough for a 2nd line on a lot of teams.  

Virtanen is good enough for a 3rd line spot, especially if he keeps on improving like he has been. 

Motte will be one of the best 4th liners next year.  

We do need another top 6 guy, but I think you're underestimating our guys or overestimating the other teams. 

I'll tell you some top 6 guys that are playing on the teams that have made it to the 2nd round:  
Carl Soderberg, Colin Wilson, Jason Dickinson, Roope Hintz, Tom Kuhnhackl, Oskar Sundqvist (great player btw, just unproven)...  

So my point is that other then two or three teams, pretty much everyone has to have some youth or unproven forwards filling out their top 6.  Baer and Pearson are not any worst then those players I named. 

1 hour ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Nope, see my reply to d money. We lost that trade as soon as it was made considering where we were in the rebuild.

I think you're understating Baertschi's offense and overstating his age. He's 26 years old and unless you don't think we're going to be a playoff team for the next 7 years, he'll still be an NHL player at that point. Heck, barring injuries, he could have another 10+ years still left in the NHL.

His season high in points in 35 points, but that doesn't accurately convey what he actually brings to the team. He consistently performs above a 0.5 points-per-game level, which is comfortably in the 2nd line range.

I can't believe how many times I have to explain points-per-game to people--it's amazing how many people can look past the number of games and straight to the points without context.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks have problems on Forward and on Defense.... Goaltending looks better.

Basically lots of problems....  99 problems....  maybe...

Canucks new goal  song for next year...  would be great to crank it after each Canuck goal....

Jay Z  99 problems ?

Not sure if Jay Z’s song fits here:

”99 problems but a bitch ain’t one.”

Unfortunately, the Canucks DO have a bitch problem in the form of Hockeysfuture/Canucks.  Hahaha.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

We need a whole lot of stuff, not just defense.

Not even goaltending is set which is probably our strongest area. Markstrom is too old with no playoff experience  for our window. demko doesn’t look quite ready to start yet, and dipietro is way too raw.

We need tons of stuff. A new owner and GM would help too imo.

Why a new owner?

8 hours ago, kilgore said:

Your post would be perfect for CDC about 3, 4, even 5 years ago.  Especially the bolded part.

All that "growth from within" was supposed be happening in the last three years. And we have had that, to be fair, to some degree. Woo, Madden, Lockwood, DePietro. But not enough effort was made to strip it down and stock up when they should have, with even more promising prospects on the verge. Refused to weaponize the cap, by taking on bad contracts for picks, and then turn around and sign Louie and Gags anyways :wacko: . Gambling a high risk game that cast offs and plugs from other teams would find new life here and make Francesco $ in the playoffs. Instead of the tried and true method of building from the draft.  Then when we do luck out with a Pettersson, a Boeser, we would also have more depth, more peers their own age, and maybe even had the luxury of flipping a few of them for good veteran talent.

So you may be right, we do need even more good prospects, but I'm a little concerned that Bo will never play in the playoffs for this team while in his prime. Sad for him if that's the case. The team management may have done "right" by the Sedins in milking their run as long as possible but the cost was maybe doing Horvat wrong. I think it will hit Bo hard if we miss again next year. Not to mention Petey and Boeser.

But It is What it Is. We are where we are. We almost now have to go all in on the rebuild on the fly. We've gone down this road too far. To start now, finally, stripping the team down, shedding veterans (some only just acquired this season!) and starting to fill the cupboards now, when we have Petey, Brock playoff ready,  and Bo and Markstrom reaching their peak, is kind of a disjointed way to build a team.

Hi Kilgore, thanks for commenting

For me, I look at it a little differently.....Bo is 24, and Benning says you win with guys 26 to 32, and points this out in various quotes, so I see Bo having lots of time...8 years if he is committed. My biggest problem and something that you touched on, is Benning not moving guys out that are under contract and replacing them with 26 year old UFA's. I hope he will sign one this summer. I also hope he moves some veterans.

Weaponizing cap, and upgrading picks, can be a huge boost to the draft...….I have posted in several threads that a trade such as 

Our 2019 2nd for Callahan and Tampa's 2019 1st would be a small important up grade...….but that is just an example where the net gain may be small in itself, but what happens if Benning does this and then a player he wants at 20 OA drops and he wants him.....well IMO, then, he is in the position, to move up again in a separate deal, with the pick he just up graded...…..he probably could not do that from 40th OA....so the first move, is the Washington trade, which puts him in a better spot for say the 20th OA upgrade.

That is how Bourke did it with the Sedin twins, it wasn't just one simple move, but several...…...and it was genius 

We have all these extra tweeners.....let's see......some genius

BY the way......I really like Demko......if you looked at his games this year and looked at his save percentage in those games, it was like top 10, once you took out the 1 bad game

IMHO...he is a keeper, and Markstrom is the tradeable asset, especially if our target is still 3 to 4 years away......

that is my 2 cents worth anyways...….

Cheers!

6 hours ago, stawns said:

I have a hard time believing that JB didn't do due diligence on that.  He's proven himself very capable at pretty much every turn and there's no reason to think he didn't ask.

Who is he supposed to move for these high picks?  The players he'd have to move to get those picks are part of the young core and would be detrimental to what they are trying to accomplish.  People need to get over this "draft picks" mantra.  Obvioulsy you build your core through the draft, as much as yiu can, but you fill in the other spots with trades and UFA.

You are probably right Stawns…...I have just not heard of so many players refusing, and/or stalling.....it just doesn't make sense....maybe that had to do with Aqualini and Linden as much as Benning...……..I do not know...…...maybe they just were not asked the right way...…..

As for getting high picks...I mean mid to high 1sts...…...18 to 31 kind of 1st...….other teams do it......I am just not convinced that there is not something out there that would meet our needs without touching our young core...…...

IMO...…..Hutton, Markstrom, Tanev, Sutter and Baertschi are all expendable, as is our 2020, and 2021 picks...…..I so believe in the draft and Free agency to a degree......

IMO there is enough there to secure another 1st rounder this year

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Unfortunately, the Canucks DO have a bitch problem in the form of Hockeysfuture/Canucks.  Hahaha.

I was just thinking the the first part works as Canucks goal song...

99 PROBLEMS.......

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Maybe FA would disagree.....   Canucks have quite a few problems.... and didn't he go through a messy divorce recently.....

HEH, if i offend anyone i can remove my post..... 

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Baertschi and Pearson are good enough for a 2nd line on a lot of teams.  

Virtanen is good enough for a 3rd line spot, especially if he keeps on improving like he has been. 

Motte will be one of the best 4th liners next year.  

We do need another top 6 guy, but I think you're underestimating our guys or overestimating the other teams. 

I'll tell you some top 6 guys that are playing on the teams that have made it to the 2nd round:  
Carl Soderberg, Colin Wilson, Jason Dickinson, Roope Hintz, Tom Kuhnhackl, Oskar Sundqvist (great player btw, just unproven)...  

So my point is that other then two or three teams, pretty much everyone has to have some youth or unproven forwards filling out their top 6.  Baer and Pearson are not any worst then those players I named. 

Colin Wilson has always been semi clutch in the playffs. Not sure why Nashville let him go. And yes, most of them are better than Baertschi.

pearson I’ll give you

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think you're understating Baertschi's offense and overstating his age. He's 26 years old and unless you don't think we're going to be a playoff team for the next 7 years, he'll still be an NHL player at that point. Heck, barring injuries, he could have another 10+ years still left in the NHL.

His season high in points in 35 points, but that doesn't accurately convey what he actually brings to the team. He consistently performs above a 0.5 points-per-game level, which is comfortably in the 2nd line range.

I can't believe how many times I have to explain points-per-game to people--it's amazing how many people can look past the number of games and straight to the points without context.

Not overstating his age at all. By the time we challenge, probably in 3 years, he will be a 29 year old, concussion prone, injury prone soft forward non factor.

The 2nd round pick would be 24-25 and a much better chance at being a factor. Enough said...

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1