• Sharks in 5
    • Sharks in 6
    • Sharks in 7
    • Avalanche in 4
    • Avalanche in 5
    • Avalanche in 6
    • Avalanche in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/28/2019 at 11:30 PM

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to PDF: (P2) San Jose Sharks vs. (WC2) Colorado Avalanche | Series tied 3-3
8 hours ago, oldnews said:

heck no to all the shiny UFAs....not to Karlsson, Panarin, Duchene, no to Skinner, no to Gardiner (lol)...

This. We don't need Cap space right now, but we will when Brock, Petey and Quinn need to be re-upped. All of the above guys will want big money, but more importantly, they'll want term.

Seems like every time we need to, we're able to find guys that don't cost an arm and a leg, who can contribute, (Dorsett, Roussel, Beagle, MDZ....) sure, sometimes it doesn't work out (Gagne) but it also doesn't cripple you moving forward.

Stay the course.

• Cheers 1

Was at the game last night. Usually Pepsi Center is not full.....unless the Avs make the playoffs.  The Avs were firing right from the start and the crowd was also into it!  Sharks were pretty defensive initially with few scoring chances.  The Avalanche hit post a few times and had some quality scoring chances. Avs were pretty disciplined as the Sharks did not get a full 2 minute Powerplay the entire game. 

Avalanche were the better team tonight but I admire the Sharks not quitting when they were down.  Lots of hooting and hollering after the game and it felt a if they won the series.  Hope the avs fans do not get too overconfident!

Still anybody's game tomorrow night.  

12 hours ago, riffraff said:

He’s a Punk

And - he's not what this team needs.

The team finally had the fortune to draft a legit pmd - I can't think of a worse time to go out and plant an Erik Karlson in front of a player like Hughes - and forever I might add.

Forget Karlson - let Hughes grow into the role of ppqb, principal puck carrier - and continue on course finding the rest of the future core, foundation and complementary players.

If guys like Hughes, EP, Boeser, Horvat et al can't cut it in the end, then the team isn't destined to win - but if it does win, I think it'll be on the backs of those types of homegrown players - and if there's a time to go out and chase big fish to fill in a gap or two, we'll know that time when we know it - imo now is not that time.

What the team needs more than a Karlson is for Juolevi to emerge into his potential, Woo to grow into his, and ideally somewhere along the way they can adMd a big, physical hard minute munching replacement for the likes of Edler.

Where free agency is concerned - just a placeholder, please imo at this stage - Stralman for reasonable term, or even a Hainsey to placehold - or go to the trade market - maybe Tanev can be moved to an Eastern contender that underachieved this playoffs and are looking to upgrade in the shorter term - Tampa has guys like Foote and Cernak - the Isles have guys like Mayfield and Pulock....

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This. We don't need Cap space right now, but we will when Brock, Petey and Quinn need to be re-upped. All of the above guys will want big money, but more importantly, they'll want term.

Seems like every time we need to, we're able to find guys that don't cost an arm and a leg, who can contribute, (Dorsett, Roussel, Beagle, MDZ....) sure, sometimes it doesn't work out (Gagne) but it also doesn't cripple you moving forward.

Stay the course.

Exactly - stay the course.   Retain cap flexibility.   Don't jump the gun with itchy, premature trigger-fingers... now is not the time to go all-in on 29 yr olds like Karlson who'll want maximum term/cap.     The key youth on this team could use another year or two (at least) of growing their game at the NHL level - and by then, they'll also have a better idea what they have in players like Juolevi, Woo, Gaudette, etc.   At this point I'd kick tires on players like Nelson, Lee (or love to poach a Jenner) - but the 'bigger' fish imo aren't the best fits at this point - Karlson gets in Hughes way, Panarin is another small, skilled winger in a group that needs a powerforward - a guy like Duchene could be a tempting fit, but again a player that would be a commitment to a core contract, one that would take him to 35+ yrs....(and in spite of being a good faceoff guy, not sure he's a very good 'possession' player for that kind of money).

I don't really see an ideal target in a RHD (Hughes partner) or a pwf (winger for EP/Boeser line) - so I'd stay out of the frenzy, be satisfied with targetting the next and lower tiers, look at who teams are considering moving, and stay the course in general - particularly with another distracting and highly annoying expansion draft on the horizon.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, oldnews said:

Exactly - stay the course.   Retain cap flexibility.   Don't jump the gun with itchy, premature trigger-fingers... now is not the time to go all-in on 29 yr olds like Karlson who'll want maximum term/cap.     The key youth on this team could use another year or two (at least) of growing their game at the NHL level - and by then, they'll also have a better idea what they have in players like Juolevi, Woo, Gaudette, etc.   At this point I'd kick tires on players like Nelson, Lee (or love to poach a Jenner) - but the 'bigger' fish imo aren't the best fits at this point - Karlson gets in Hughes way, Panarin is another small, skilled winger in a group that needs a powerforward - a guy like Duchene could be a tempting fit, but again a player that would be a commitment to a core contract, one that would take him to 35+ yrs....(and in spite of being a good faceoff guy, not sure he's a very good 'possession' player for that kind of money).

I don't really see an ideal target in a RHD (Hughes partner) or a pwf (winger for EP/Boeser line) - so I'd stay out of the frenzy, be satisfied with targetting the next and lower tiers, look at who teams are considering moving, and stay the course in general - particularly with another distracting and highly annoying expansion draft on the horizon.

ON, I think JB was with the Bruins when they signed Chara as a UFA.  I wonder if JB is thinking that EK could be our Chara?  We are (kind of) in the same development situation the Bruins were in back then, so I am wondering if JB is thinking along similar lines.