The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks will be the next Canadian team to hoist the Stanley Cup

Gator

Next Canadian team to win it all  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thecanuckway.com/2019/04/24/will-vancouver-canucks-next-canadian-team-win-stanley-cup/amp/

Not too long ago I thought we would be that team. In 2011 we had a 2-0 series lead in the finals against the Bruins, thought it would happen for sure. 2 games later i couldnt believe we got crushed in both games in Boston. We managed to win game 5, get crushed again in Boston, and were set to play a game 7 on home ice.  Home team won every game that series up to that point. We were the home team in game 7, EA sports simulation predicted we would beat the Bruins in 7 games with the home team winning every game. Just felt like it was going to happen. Then before we knew it, it was 3-0 Bruins late in the 3rd and we just knew it wasn't going to happen. That was tough. Sitting back as Boston is hoisting the Stanley Cup on our ice. We were so close to ending a 40+ year streak for our franchise and an almost 20 year old streak for our country with no cup.

Almost a decade and full rebuild later and still no cup won by a Canadian team. The Maple Leafs, Jets, and Flames are legit contenders that has the capability of winning it right now, but if they dont in the next 2 years then the Canucks may just become the best possibility again. The Oilers should also be a contender, but even with McDavid they can't seem to get their $#!+ together lol.

We have a legit #1C in Pettersson.

1 of the best young #2 two way C in Horvat.

30-50 goal scoring winger in Boeser. 

Legit #1 offensive Dman in Hughes

Solid goaltending in Marstrom and Demko. Demko having elite potential, and has shown flashes, just needs to get comfortable and find some consistency. 

That's just the real crucial parts that all teams seek. That's not including players like:

Virtanen:

very fast, very tough winger with a very under rated shot. He has been kind of sheltered into a 3rd and 4th line role in an effort to get his defensive game going, but he has been given some opportunity this year. At worst he will be a very good 3rd line winger that will add much needed physical play especially in the playoffs for years. His ceiling would be a legit #1 winger that puts up a pile of points and plays a very physical game. Probably more of a faster Evander Kane than a Milan Lucic type player

Tryamkin:

Left a sour taste in many Canuck fans mouths when he left the way he did, but there's no denying this guys talent. Starting with his size, this guy is a monster standing at 6'7" I believe. The reach he has is incredible and the way he was breaking up 2 on 1s with ease when he was here was mind boggling to watch. He was just a rookie that year and he was the most effective dman for us that year imho. He may be a big guy, but he's also pretty darn fast too. He made quite a few eye popping end to end rushes while here as well. He deffiently didn't utilize his side and seemed to put an effort into not hurting people while here. I do respect him for that, but this is the NHL,  you need to play physical and make these guys afraid. Don't pick on the small guys, but make their tough guys fear us. If he came back with his improved game and actually utilize his size and play physical hockey he could be another #1 franchise Dman with a totally differnt game than our other one in Hughes. Them 2 could 1 day be the best pairing in the NHL.

Juolevi, Dipetro, Woo, Madden, Lind, Gaudette, and Gadjovich are a nice looking group of prospects that could play some big roles in the future as well.

I think we're winning a cup in 3-5 years, with a slight chance of winning in 2 years if a lot falls into place. If I'm a betting man I would say 4-5, but I truly believe it won't be much longer of a wait for Canuck fans. So I think the Leafs, Flames, Jets, and Oilers have a 3-5 year window to stop us from being the next Canadian team to win it. If any of them do hopefully its the Jets, but deep down i want it to be us!

Who do you think will be the next Canadian team to win it? And when do you think it'll happen?

It would be nice if it was the Canucks, but we're quite a ways behind other teams with our rebuild. TOR, CGY and WPG are close to being Cup contenders now. VAN can't seem to make the playoffs.

TOR

CGY

WPG

MTL

EDM

VAN

OTT

We've got a ways to go.

30 minutes ago, sonoman said:

After following this team for 49 years, I just hope it’s in my lifetime 

Btw, not laughing at you. I've been a fan since the beginning as well. 

Just thought it was funny that it's been that long. How time flies. 

One thing though is, the Canucks have been to the finals twice since 1993. More than any other Canadian team. 

Hopefully we're there again in about 5 years! 

Just now, BarnBurner said:

Btw, not laughing at you. I've been a fan since the beginning as well. 

Just thought it was funny that it's been that long. How time flies. 

One thing though is, the Canucks have been to the finals twice since 1993. More than any other Canadian team. 

Hopefully we're there again in about 5 years! 

That makes us Canada's #1 team since I was born :)

I think you’re jumping the gun a bit in your player appraisals.  Pettersson  COULD be a 1C.  

Calling Boeser a 30-50 goal guy is a bit premature considering he hasn’t  actually hit 30 yet.  He’s come close to 30. But there’s a massive difference between 30 and 50 goals.  

Horvat at is a very good 2 way centre. But it’s not like he’s anyone’s top vote getter for the Selke.  

Hughes is looking promising. But maybe let him play more than a handful of games at the NHL level before you annoint him as a legit 1D.  

I honestly don’t see Virtanen putting it all together. He has some tools but no toolbox.  

Tryamkin. Meh. 

The rest of Vancouver’s prospects you listed are interesting. But until we see how they progress there’s really no way to know if any of them will be impact players in the NHL. 

Vancouver has  some great young pieces. Let’s just wait and see how they develop.  I 

I hope people watched the Boston Toronto series because there was alot of lessons to be learned from that. We cannot

expect to go into the playoffs and not address issues like team toughness and defense. These are glaring issues right now

and we might be another 3-5 years getting our younger players the experience and seasoning they need to be true playoff 

team. We are skilled but we are exceptionally fragile. Anyone who wants to argue with me over our fragility should look to 

last season and tell me we dont have a fragile team. 

19 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

I hope people watched the Boston Toronto series because there was alot of lessons to be learned from that. We cannot

expect to go into the playoffs and not address issues like team toughness and defense. These are glaring issues right now

and we might be another 3-5 years getting our younger players the experience and seasoning they need to be true playoff 

team. We are skilled but we are exceptionally fragile. Anyone who wants to argue with me over our fragility should look to 

last season and tell me we dont have a fragile team. 

I agree. Watching Pettersson, Baertschi and Stecher get side-swiped and body-slammed last season. No pushback if I recall. Gave me 2011 flashback terrors.

I do like some of the pieces they have, that I think could be good playoff guys.

Horvat

Roussel

Beagle

Pearson

Leivo

Virtanen

Gaudette

Edler

Hutton

Schenn

MacEwen

Gadjovich?

They need more skill and scoring though too, and have Pettersson and Boeser. Could use another 1-2 top players up front. Really need help on D. Hughes, and eventually Juolevi will help transition the puck up ice, and maybe even provide a little scoring. But I feel they still need 1-2 big Dmen who can lay out big hits and to let other players know they can't go in the crease or take liberties with the star players. Tryamkin returning would certainly help. Do they target Myers? I'm not really a fan, but he sure has size.   

Meh. I've always found this to be a bit of an exercise in futility. Since 1993, The Canucks have made it to the final twice, the Canadiens have made it to the Eastern Conference finals twice, The sens have made it to the finals once and the eastern conference finals twice, The flames have made the finals once, The oilers have made the finals once, The jets have made the western conference finals once, and the leafs have made the eastern conference once.

Every team has had at least one legitimate shot since the 93 cup and no one has closed it out. It's impossible to guess because the team with the best shot right now is not necessarily the team who will win next. in fact, it's very possible they blow their shot and their window closes on them (as history shows).

That said, I picked the Canucks because every other team sucks. obviously -_-

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

It would be nice if it was the Canucks, but we're quite a ways behind other teams with our rebuild. TOR, CGY and WPG are close to being Cup contenders now. VAN can't seem to make the playoffs.

TOR

CGY

WPG

MTL

EDM

VAN

OTT

We've got a ways to go.

Regular season performance or maybe winning a round here and there sure, but as for the odds of actually winning the Stanley cup in the next decade, I see it as: 

VAN

MTL

CGY

WPG

TOR

OTT

EDM

Like the way the core is shaping up but we lack the offensive depth of a contender... Look down our roster compared to contenders, where they have a lot of 30-50 point players we are sitting with 10-30 point players... JB gets a lot of flack for his UFA failures but trying is the only way he is going to get in line with the depth of the big dogs. Might have been a different picture if Ericksson, Gagme, Sutter etc etc were producing... But they are not. Time to shuffle the deck. Somehow...

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

TOR

CGY

WPG

MTL

EDM

VAN

OTT

We've got a ways to go.

TO is gonna fall off that hill pretty quick when their contracts kick in. WPG also looks to be in cap trouble but not as bad as TO. CGY I think they are in really good shape They can afford to re-up Tkachuk and I think the real deal is moveable with a lil creativity. I feel like MTL is headed further down before up their kind of caught in limbo right now. They arent good enough to compete for a cup and they aren't really bad enough to rebuild yet. I think the future is bright for MTL but they have to make a decision which way they are going. EDM is in perpetual suck they need everything from players to coaches to front office maybe even ownership everything is rotten there. OTT needs an owner I think they can turn it around though.

My list

CGY

WPG

TOR

VAN

MTL

EDM

OTT

A lot of "if's" still.

If Markstrom turns out to be what he was supposed to be when drafted, EP40 turns out to be a legit #1, Boeser becoming a 40+ goal scorer, Horvat turning into a Selke level forward, Baertschi being at 60 points player, Virtanen playing at least like a 2012 Dustin Brown, OJ playing like Salo, Hughes playing like Ehrhoff, Edler suddenly catching second wind and plays like his 2010 form..... then maybe the Canucks will have a legit chance for contending.  

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

TO is gonna fall off that hill pretty quick when their contracts kick in. WPG also looks to be in cap trouble but not as bad as TO. CGY I think they are in really good shape They can afford to re-up Tkachuk and I think the real deal is moveable with a lil creativity. I feel like MTL is headed further down before up their kind of caught in limbo right now. They arent good enough to compete for a cup and they aren't really bad enough to rebuild yet. I think the future is bright for MTL but they have to make a decision which way they are going. EDM is in perpetual suck they need everything from players to coaches to front office maybe even ownership everything is rotten there. OTT needs an owner I think they can turn it around though.

My list

CGY

WPG

TOR

VAN

MTL

EDM

OTT

Calgary's forwards played scared, dove around like the spoiled babies that they are, and made Nylander look like a playoff performer in comparison.  Gaudreau and Monahan both played like they aren't even good enough to be in the ECHL, simply brutal in all areas of the ice without a care in the world other than whining to the refs.  In addition, Tkachuk showed why you don't give a classless piece of garbage a letter, taking stupid penalties at the worst possible times.  Smith managed to take a break from faking injuries to make it competitive, but he's getting up there in years and they have zero potential NHL goalies waiting in the wings.  Ridditch is a sieve. 

I woudn't be surprised at all for Calgary to miss the playoffs after Colorado exposed them as an absolutely terrible hockey team.

Archived