The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Biden Debates Donald Trump September 29

DonLever

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

But I disagree with the premise. How can fact checking be biased? You either find that a statement is factual, or it is bot.

There's the bias he mentioned.

Finding a "fact" that's skewed is not best practice.

I could say that the average age of girls I have liked is 13. But that wouldn't be a fair representation cuz I'm 20 and have had crushes on girls since elementary. A more accurate fact to spew is that I tend to like girls who are (2 years younger - 1 year older) than my current age.

Otherwise you could spew that I'm a pedo cuz of TH FACT that "the average" age of girls I have liked in my past is 13.

1 minute ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Whatever you say :lol:

At the end of the day, your opinion is just an opinion and doesn’t really matter. It’s up to us Americans to vote for who we think will best lead the country. 

& Joe Biden is not that person !

Just now, Zfetch said:

I could say that the average age of girls I have liked is 13. But that wouldn't be a fair representation cuz I'm 20 and have had crushes on girls since elementary. A more accurate fact to spew is that I tend to like girls who are (2 years younger - 1 year older) than my current age.

Otherwise you could spew that I'm a pedo cuz of TH FACT that "the average" age of girls I have liked in my past is 13.

But that wouldn't be a fact, it would be an opinion. What we're talking about is "fact checking" not analysis.

Example: Trump says he got the veteran's bill passed. That is not a fact. There would be no point in fact checking a question about what kind of ice cream he likes.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Correct.

That person is probably Elizabeth Warren, but Biden is far superior to Donald Trump.

Warren's got good domestic politics, but she's an imperialist. Better than either Biden or Trump, but you're still gonna end up with antagonistic foreign policy.

Just now, thejazz97 said:

Warren's got good domestic politics, but she's an imperialist. Better than either Biden or Trump, but you're still gonna end up with antagonistic foreign policy.

Well, she's not on the ticket, so we have no way to fact check that opinion.....B)

Well, she's not on the ticket, so we have no way to fact check that opinion.....B)

she supported Israel's incursion into Gaza in 2014 and supports/ed sanctions on Venezuela, as well as supported a government coup in Venezuela.

that's imperialist. 

Just now, thejazz97 said:

she supported Israel's incursion into Gaza in 2014 and supports/ed sanctions on Venezuela, as well as supported a government coup in Venezuela.

that's imperialist. 

I'm not sure that proves what she might do were she President, but okay....:unsure:

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

But that wouldn't be a fact, it would be an opinion. What we're talking about is "fact checking" not analysis.

Example: Trump says he got the veteran's bill passed. That is not a fact. There would be no point in fact checking a question about what kind of ice cream he likes.

Wouldn't it be a fact that the average age of girls I like is 13? That's not an opinion it's fact stated with numbers.

But again it wouldn't be appropriate unless you check to understand what's behind the fact (am I young, is average a good measure to use...etc)

For example you let's say Trump passed a veterans bill and that's a fact. Sure it is but checking into what constitues that fact can be biased. Did Congress make the ultimate decision? If so perhaps Trump isn't the best subject to use in the fact. So the fact is already stated in bias terms. 

Alternatively I could say your mom made you. This is a fact. But it's bias because your father made you about equally. A better and less bias fact is that your mom and dad made you. (Not using mom as the sole subject in the fact)

I'm not sure that proves what she might do were she President, but okay....:unsure:

yes! someone who supports american interference at the senate level certainly would never once in the white house! ;) 

It's why I have no faith in Biden/Harris. At a time when mass incarceration is a massive issue people want solved, the Democrats chose the creator of the 1994 crime bill (which contributed heavily to this problem) and as his vice president, someone who laughed about threatening kids and families with jail if they didn't go to school.

people can change, but their actions show it. warren's, on foreign policy, have not. just look at her response to bolivia.

Just now, Zfetch said:

Wouldn't it be a fact that the average age of girls I like is 13? That's not an opinion it's fact stated with numbers.

But again it wouldn't be appropriate unless you check to understand what's behind the fact (am I young, is average a good measure to use...etc)

For example you let's say Trump passed a veterans bill and that's a fact. Sure it is but checking into what constitues that fact can be biased. Did Congress make the ultimate decision? If so perhaps Trump isn't the best subject to use in the fact. So the fact is already stated in bias terms. 

Alternatively I could say your mom made you. This is a fact. But it's bias because your father made you about equally. A better and less bias fact is that your mom and dad made you. (Not using mom as the sole subject in the fact)

Sure, but any statement based on that would be pure opinion. That's not what fact checkers do.

Disagree with the rest of your assessment. Bias is inherently applied to opinion, not facts. Your final paragraph is not an example of bias. It's inaccurate, or incomplete, which is exactly how a fact checker would characterize it.

12 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

5985F0EF-3028-4881-926A-19B1588A5A84.gif

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

What’s with the personal attacks? Are that triggered from an online emote to reference another member that is not even part of the discussion?

Personal attacks? I don't follow.

I was merely commenting on how many people are (apparently) confused, by what I thought was pretty straightforward.