The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Biden Debates Donald Trump September 29

DonLever

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48781165

Ten Democrats have clashed in the first TV debate of the race to oust President Donald Trump from the White House.

Liberal firebrand Elizabeth Warren, who has been gaining momentum, took centre stage at the fiery forum in Florida.

Candidates sparred over healthcare and immigration, and a couple of underdogs gulped much-needed political oxygen with zingers on Mr Trump and abortion.

Ten other Democrats in the crowded field, including Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders, will battle on Thursday night.

What were the flashpoints?

In Wednesday night's two-hour debate in Miami, the candidates at times engaged in shouting matches as they vied to grab the limelight.

Ms Warren, a Massachusetts senator who has been surging in opinion polls, was one of only two contenders to say she supports replacing private medical insurance with government-run healthcare.

Taking aim at her rivals, Ms Warren drew loud applause as she said: "There are a lot of politicians who say, 'oh, it's just not possible'… what they're really telling you is, they just won't fight for it."

"Well, healthcare is a basic human right and I will fight for basic human rights

Only New York Mayor Bill de Blasio backed her.

But Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar said: "I am just simply concerned about kicking half of America off of their health insurance in four years."

Former US congressman John Delaney also warned against doing away with a system that he said works for many Americans.

Beto O'Rourke, another ex-congressman, was first to show off his command of Spanish, saying that a stable democracy should "listen to all voices".

But the onetime liberal golden boy found himself under heated attack from former Obama housing secretary Julian Castro, the only Latino in the race.

Edited by DonLever

Didn't get to watch, but from what I've been reading, Castro was the one who did himself the most good and Beto did the most harm.

Warren and Booker also seemed to get pretty high marks, while DeBlasio challenged O'Rourke for the worst performance of the night. Klobuchar was also a disappointment.

1 minute ago, Canorth said:

That really sunk Beto IMO. Seemed out of his league 

I'm trying to figure out what happened to Beto...

When he was running against Cruz, he seemed to have it all: The ability to speak, to inspire....now he looks lost....:unsure:

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm trying to figure out what happened to Beto...

When he was running against Cruz, he seemed to have it all: The ability to speak, to inspire....now he looks lost....:unsure:

Too many skateboards across stages. To focused on the millennial vote he forgot what it’s like to be in a room with adults, is my guess.

Also, he’s not running against Ted Cruz

I’ll chalk it up to a learning experience. He’s still young and will have a few more chances 

4 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Too many skateboards across stages. To focused on the millennial vote he forgot what it’s like to be in a room with adults, is my guess.

I’ll chalk it up to a learning experience. He’s still young and will have a few more chances 

And he should run for the other TEXAS US Senate seat that is up in 2020.  Win that and he will gain support for next time.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Canorth said:

It's actually a bit shocking to see how lackluster Beto looks against anyone who isn't Ted Cruz.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

And he should run for the other TEXAS US Senate seat that is up in 2020.  Win that and he will gain support for next time.

15 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

It's actually a bit shocking to see how lackluster Beto looks against anyone who isn't Ted Cruz.

Agreed and agreed