The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Biden Debates Donald Trump September 29

DonLever

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

The proposal is not a minor tax on profits (that wouldn't be such a big deal), it's a tax on transactions. They propose a 1/10th of 1% tax on the purchase price of a security. Doesn't sound like much does it? Let's say you buy 1000 shares of Apple. The purchase price being $295,000. Trades like this go on every second of the day. The average daily volume of Apple is 36 million shares. The tax owed on 1000 shares would be $295 regardless of if you eventually made money on your trade.

Back in the day when this was first proposed I use to trade stocks quite heavily (since moved on to other products). I calculated what I'd owe and it came to $14,000 a day in tax. I guarantee you I was not making anywhere close to $14k a day. The proposal is not only punitive, it's stupid.

It would result in a drop in volume. Which would mean less tax collected than originally thought. It would cause markets to get less liquid.  How do we know this? Because a long time ago it was tried in Sweden. It resulted in volume fleeing their market, spreads widening, and in general was a sh*t show of a debacle. They abandoned the whole program in short order.

Bernie knows it's BS he'll never implement. But in the meantime millions of Bernie Bros get to dream of "sticking it to the man" and going to college on someone else's dime.

It's good to dream, but let's keep the dreams reasonable like you get a promotion at work. Not the Swedish Bikini Team shows up at your front door for an orgy.:lol:

Interesting to know that history. I thought that the trade tax was a half decent idea but you bring up a good point. I wonder if it could work if there was a daily cap on it expressed as a percentage of annual profits or something. The national debt has to be paid off some how and the US student loans need to be figured out as well. Though I would be pretty pissed if I was 40 years old and had just finished or was close to paying off my 6 figure loan then Bernie comes in and wipes everybody's. Not sure that is fair to those people.

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

All Biden and his group are talking about is how important it is to get rid of Trump. All Bernie's followers want is a chance at the life their parents had. I don't see how Biden delivers that when his only focus is beating Trump. 

I feel very badly for people U30 in North America, they're really getting screwed over. Patriotism is great but does it really have to cost them this much? 

As someone in my late 20s I totally get this. Gen x and the boomers seem to have had way more opportunity to get ahead. I just finished getting a masters degree, I have to apply (and pay) thousands of dollars to write licensing exams, membership to regulatory colleges, and pay for 2 degrees.. all this to get the privilege to work in health care. People in my industry had a bachelors degree, no licensing exams and were starting their careers in their early 20s. I had the opportunity to work after my first degree so I could pay off loans and save up (/get lucky in weed stocks) for my Masters but not everyone gets that opportunity. All in all life is still good and I would much rather go through this process in Canada than the US but times certainly seem to have changed. I have 1 friend (who is 30) who just had a baby, none of my other friends have kids yet.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Gen x and the boomers seem to have had way more opportunity to get ahead. 

Very much so, particularly the boomers. Gen X certainly had it much better depending on which end of it you're on. This point seems to be lost on the "beat Trump" crowd. I wouldn't give two hot $&!#s about that if I was facing what your are. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

The same crowd that knows Biden doesn't stand a chance is the same crowd who also sees the polls showing Biden not so far ahead of trump but sanders polling well ahead.

People believe things for a reason

Sanders was polling really well against Biden also. It didn't work out so well last night. I don't think i saw a poll that said Biden was going to win Texas. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Great American, “Sleepy Joe”? :lol:

Dems are doomed.  Trump will make Biden out to be a perverted old creepy guy.  “Crooked Hillary” and now “perverted Sleepy Joe”.  I think Trump tweets something funny about Biden today. 

People keep saying this and frankly, I find it a little baffling......yes, JB is the gaffe king, but he'll be going up against a guy who can't even work an umbrella FFS....:wacko:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

That's effectively what is going to happen.  A Bernie Bro pointed that out when they polled the super delegates last week and they overwhelmingly said no matter what they'd not support Sanders even with a plurality.  That the only way Sanders got their endorsement was overwhelming numbers that forced their hands.

When you're walking in to the single most important date for the nomination and the entirety of the essential numbers have said tough cookie you're not getting our vote it's literally the exact same as Clinton watching the electoral college say tough cookie, you're not getting our vote.

In both instances a minority is deciding the outcome over the majority.  But in this instance, the DNC is doing it and ignoring the glaring hypocrisy of their actions while still mentioning the electoral college here and there

Just checking... what is the beef with the electoral college? Did any electors in the college not vote for a candidate based on how that state's electors are supposed to vote, or is it a matter of Hillary not winning despite getting the popular vote?

If the latter, that is by design, and as it should be.  If the former, it can still be by design, but arguably less necessary today.

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Biden will defeat Trump by 7-10 points.

I'm fine with 1 term of Biden. I'll reserve my judgement on a 2nd term.

I'm really hoping he decides on a VP we can all get behind. Stacy Abrams, or Kamala Harris would be my top 2 choices, although I agree that KH would make a perfect AG.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm really hoping he decides on a VP we can all get behind. Stacy Abrams, or Kamala Harris would be my top 2 choices, although I agree that KH would make a perfect AG.

He needs a vp that is relatively young, progressive, and throw a bone to Sanders supporters to have a chance to get the coalition he needs to beat Trump. KH is the bare minimum. I know he is inexperienced in politics, but Andrew Yang would be a great choice.

I think Klobuchar would be a good pick. Get someone from the Rust Belt and really drive the message home there. Plus her Senate seat in MN is safe turf. Then again so is Harris' in CA.

Abrams is not a bad pick. I also like Andrew Gillum from FL. Wouldn't exactly hurt the ticket in a dog fight in FL.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kragar said:

Yeah, I know.  One of the better typos I've seen in a while.  I had heard about him paying people through Novemeber regardless of how long he was in the race.

Paying them quite well, too, IIRC.  I would guess it's a write-off come tax time.

I saw a story recently where they said Bloomberg was paying his campaign staff roughly three times what staffers for other candidates were making. Some of them even got NYC apartments to use while they are working on the campaign.

Still, I hope MB keeps spending like a drunken sailor. I'd really like to see an ad with that footage of Trump climbing the stairs to Air Force One with TP stuck to his shoe....

• Cheers 1

I saw a story recently where they said Bloomberg was paying his campaign staff roughly three times what staffers for other candidates were making. Some of them even got NYC apartments to use while they are working on the campaign.

Still, I hope MB keeps spending like a drunken sailor. I'd really like to see an ad with that footage of Trump climbing the stairs to Air Force One with TP stuck to his shoe....

Yep, and all meals while working catered.  Spare no expense!

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but what evidence do they have that things will be better for them under the establishment candidate? I agree with you, I hate it when people give up, but I can see why young US voters would be completely disillusioned and its not because they're stupid. 

Do young voters care about the environment? I doubt Biden will appoint CC deniers to head up the EPA, or cut environmental regulations.....

That's only one example, but it alone should be enough.

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You know Brad Parscale $&!# himself when Bloomy said he'd spend whatever to defeat Trump.

Trump has raised a ton of money but he doesn't have "whatever" at his disposal.

14 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

People keep saying this and frankly, I find it a little baffling......yes, JB is the gaffe king, but he'll be going up against a guy who can't even work an umbrella FFS....:wacko:

This election if it is Biden vs Trump will be a contest between a guy who's brain goes faster than his lips (Biden) vs a guy who's lips go faster than his brain (Trump).

That should be an easy choice.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I think Klobuchar would be a good pick. Get someone from the Rust Belt and really drive the message home there. Plus her Senate seat in MN is safe turf. Then again so is Harris' in CA.

Abrams is not a bad pick. I also like Andrew Gillum from FL. Wouldn't exactly hurt the ticket in a dog fight in FL.

I know I'll be accused of "Identity politics", but I think it's high time the US had a woman in that position (and hopefully the WH four years later)

A black woman would be perfect, IMHO....

I'm going to disagree with the masses here, who believe that the Dems are "screwing" Bernie....

I don't find it at all surprising that the centrists who dropped out are supporting the centrist who's still in the race. Nor do I find it surprising that the Democratic caucus prefers the less radical candidate, when most agree that Job 1 is getting rid of Bone Spurs.

People are allowed to support their preferred candidate. Whether or not you like their reason for doing so is immaterial.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So, we'll get big money out of politics only after the Dems win?? :P

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

You know Brad Parscale $&!# himself when Bloomy said he'd spend whatever to defeat Trump.

Trump has raised a ton of money but he doesn't have "whatever" at his disposal.

I think Bill Maher said it best when Trump was mocking him for being short....

"He may be short, but he isn't short on cash"......

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I know I'll be accused of "Identity politics", but I think it's high time the US had a woman in that position (and hopefully the WH four years later)

Why?

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A black woman would be perfect, IMHO....

Why would a black woman be the perfect candidate for the president of the US?

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

So, we'll get big money out of politics only after the Dems win?? :P

Probably not. But since I've never said anything for or against big money in politics, I'm not sure how it's relevant to what I posted.