The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Pros and Cons of Adding Erik Karlsson

3 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

pro: he is arguably the most valuable player in the league

I would love to add him but have my doubts he wants to come to a market like Vancouver after what allegedly happened to him in Ottawa

I would like to think a fresh slate might  be here for him.

The question other than money is Lifestyle vs Cup contention..

maybe we have both?

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I would like to think a fresh slate might  be here for him.

The question other than money is Lifestyle vs Cup contention..

maybe we have both?

I think we have a lot going for us 

- cap space

-promising future

-great city

-up and coming team

-good history with swedish players

-big need for a stud dman

I just think the media crazy market is probably not what he is looking for. I think after what has gone on with him and his wife, he would probably prefer a market where he flies under the radar a bit more. I am just speculating, but feel fairly strongly about it.

• Cheers 1

I think the risks are too great to sign EK.

My preference is to target a younger, defensive minded top 4 D, with size and also cost controlled for long term.

BRETT PESCE

It has been mentioned before but he is the ideal target to partner Hughes. Hughes is going to be our smaller, skilled top 2 D man. He will be our EK65 in a few years. 

Pesce has size. Puts up points. Is great on the PK. Will replace what we had in Tanev. All at $4m AAV.

Within one year our D corps looks like:

Hughes Pesce

Edler Stecher

Juolevi Woo

Hutton Schenn

lol after karlsson time in Ottawa you really think he wants to go thru all the media bs again ,  hmmm Vancouver  where you have 30 idiots crowded around you asking all sorts of stupid questions , cant go anywhere  with out being bothered    or san jose  where u have a few reporters and not really get bothered much by fans, so face it . he isn't  coming to Vancouver so forget about it

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I think the risks are too great to sign EK.

My preference is to target a younger, defensive minded top 4 D, with size and also cost controlled for long term.

BRETT PESCE

It has been mentioned before but he is the ideal target to partner Hughes. Hughes is going to be our smaller, skilled top 2 D man. He will be our EK65 in a few years. 

Pesce has size. Puts up points. Is great on the PK. Will replace what we had in Tanev. All at $4m AAV.

Within one year our D corps looks like:

Hughes Pesce

Edler Stecher

Juolevi Woo

Hutton Schenn

Yeah that will be easy.  I am sure that Carolina has no idea what they have there and will be happy to give him away.

Only way you get a Pesce is you draft and develop him.  How many times have we seen D of his calibre traded?  Seth Jones is the only one that comes to mind in recent years other than the PK for Shea trade.  It took Taylor Hall just to get an average D-man.

43 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Yeah that will be easy.  I am sure that Carolina has no idea what they have there and will be happy to give him away.

Only way you get a Pesce is you draft and develop him.  How many times have we seen D of his calibre traded?  Seth Jones is the only one that comes to mind in recent years other than the PK for Shea trade.  It took Taylor Hall just to get an average D-man.

No. It took a real stupid ass GM to make that happen.

11 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Pro: will instantly become the best defensemen in Canucks history

con: will instantly become the most expensive player in Canucks history

You seem to be stuck in per 2016.   EK hasn't been near the player he was for several seasons now and may never be remotely close again.   He has slowed considerably and is a giveaway machine even paired with a Norris finalist.   I would rather have any of the 'Canes top four at their current price tag than EK on what he will get on the open market.

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Don’t count on 6 ? games as proof PB..  Eriksson would prove to be an excellent mentor for Hughes and give us the 2 line punch on D to excelorate our Teams rise..

EK65 Edler

Hughes Tryamkin

Stetcher Schenn

Biegga/ Hutton/ Sautner/ Brisboise 

Keep Eriksson the (expletive deleted) away from Hughes. 

• Haha 3
  • Wat 1

9 hours ago, RonMexico said:

It's just the wrong time. Adding Karlsson types is only a good idea when you are close to contending. Older, expensive, often injured players are what this team needs to ship out, not bring in.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Pro - spend max $ on a player who will never be as good as he once was, but is still in that "elite" class. Upgrades our D big time.

Con - timing sucks. 

When this idea first cane up on CDC back in January (or whenever) I was totally on board, but the more I thought about it the less I like it. He's on the wrong side of the curve right now. Not necessarily old, but getting worn out and appears to already be in decline. Some GM is going to massively overpay for him. I really like Karlsson, but I hope that GM isn't JB.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You seem to be stuck in per 2016.   EK hasn't been near the player he was for several seasons now and may never be remotely close again.   He has slowed considerably and is a giveaway machine even paired with a Norris finalist.   I would rather have any of the 'Canes top four at their current price tag than EK on what he will get on the open market.

I agree but even a slowed down Karlsson is better than anything the Canucks have ever had. He put up 9 assist in 7 games vs Vegas despite playing injured

14 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

I agree but even a slowed down Karlsson is better than anything the Canucks have ever had. He put up 9 assist in 7 games vs Vegas despite playing injured

Disagree with that entirely.   I am not as old as many on this board but the current version of EK would not be my choice over a Jovo in his prime, a Reinhart in his prime and so forth.   While he put up points, he was a turnover machine.

Once upon a time, playing D mattered as much about the D part as the points.    For winning hockey, it still does.

6 hours ago, cdubuya said:

pro: he is arguably the most valuable player in the league

I would love to add him but have my doubts he wants to come to a market like Vancouver after what allegedly happened to him in Ottawa

Hes not even the most valuable player in SJ

Edited by hammertime

9 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

One major con:

This isn’t just applicable to Erik Karlsson, but take a look at the remaining teams lefts in the playoffs:

-Colorado

-San Jose

-Dallas

-St. Louis

-NYI

-Carolina

-Boston

-Columbus

Now - take a look at the cup winning teams since 2010:

-Chicago

-Boston

-Los Angeles

-Pittsburgh

-Washington

-2019 winner

Do you want to know what ALL of these teams have in common?    Not a single one of these teams had 

1) A 10+ million dollar player on their team.

Take a look at Chicago and LA’s cap when they won their multiple cups.  Ditto for Boston.  You know what?  I’ll even mention Vancouver here since they won back to back Presidents Trophies.  Look at their cost controlled cap hits between 2010-2012.

I honestly don’t know if those “cost controlled cap hits to elite players” model are about to go extinct (ie Although Pittsburgh and Washington had relatively cost controlled cap hits relative to that of some other elite teams, that percentage was a little high), but if it ISN”T, then I would strongly consider holding off on Karlsson.

The formula for winning still seems to be as follows:

-cost controlled elite talent

-depth (ie cost controlled elite talent allowing for this).

-2 elite centers

-1 elite defenseman at minimum

-1 elite winger at minimum

-1 “very good” goalie at a great cap hit that can play at an elite level when it matters most

-Speed

-Toughness and size (that doesn’t compromise team speed to the point where team speed is a weakness).

IF the above is true, then perhaps an Erik Karlsson Signing would prevent the above

This is exactly why I believe the Oilers will always struggle and the Leafs are gonna be a first round exit team for quite some time.

I get the impression that the Leafs throw around money just to be able to say they have some of the highest salaried players in the league.

• Upvote 1