The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Pros and Cons of Adding Erik Karlsson

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

You can tell that to OTT three years ago. One goal away from the final in OT, won by the eventual winners.  SJ is a tired declining team who might end up in the final in large part to adding EK.  All the data backs up the fact that he’s still pkaying at an elite level and with some time and rest could still win three or four Norris trophies (stop blocking so many shots though!!).   I’m not not convinced he’s done.   In fact I think he’s got a lot of miles left and is going to win some more hardware including  a cup.   He’s that good.

His offense is arguably great but his defensive play is awful and we do not have the other horses to defend in the playoffs yet. a defense of Karlsson, Stecher, Hughes and Hutton are not going to get it done against the bigger players once the whistles get put away. The game has changed but the teams that survived this year are bigger again. You can have some undersize D men but our D men all play small.

Adding another undersized defender will not provide the defense we would need to make a run at the cup.

Adding Karlsson is a move an impatient fan base wants to do based on the fact we haven't been in the playoffs for a couple years. Its not the building block we need to sustain long term success. It's been this franchises calling card for 50 years. Its why we traded Neely for Pederson. There is no recipe for instant success.

I am not convinced he is completely done. Would he improve the Canucks? Yes nominally i am sure. Maybe we would make the playoffs. Would he make us a contender for the Stanley Cup. I am not convinced. I dont want us to be a one year and done team like Ottawa was three years ago, like Edmonton was a few years back as well. I want us to have sustained playoff success. I dont believe signing Karlsson is the answer.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

His offense is arguably great but his defensive play is awful and we do not have the other horses to defend in the playoffs yet. a defense of Karlsson, Stecher, Hughes and Hutton are not going to get it done against the bigger players once the whistles get put away. The game has changed but the teams that survived this year are bigger again. You can have some undersize D men but our D men all play small.

Adding another undersized defender will not provide the defense we would need to make a run at the cup.

Adding Karlsson is a move an impatient fan base wants to do based on the fact we haven't been in the playoffs for a couple years. Its not the building block we need to sustain long term success. It's been this franchises calling card for 50 years. Its why we traded Neely for Pederson. There is no recipe for instant success.

I am not convinced he is completely done. Would he improve the Canucks? Yes nominally i am sure. Maybe we would make the playoffs. Would he make us a contender for the Stanley Cup. I am not convinced. I dont want us to be a one year and done team like Ottawa was three years ago, like Edmonton was a few years back as well. I want us to have sustained playoff success. I dont believe signing Karlsson is the answer.

The past two years he’s being 6th best in the league relative Corsi to his teammates....that’s Uber elite ... and he’s a perrenial top shot blocker (which I think he needs to tone down just to keep him healthy).   I agree he’s not the answer to all our woahs,  but he does fill the RHD spot and bump out one of our guys...and he’s not a shrimp like Stetcher and Hughes, not big either but he’s built like a boxer and strong as an ox for his size.  

At some point we will need to get outside elite help, we won’t draft our entire team, EDM tried that and Hall and Eberle are gone, the same way Horvat and Boeser will be if we don’t add some pieces through free agency while we have them here to push us over the top. 

I will I’ll say I think it’s a little early and that we need this draft and one more to add to our pool and have some talent that can trickle in once we do make the playoffs to help keep us there.   But he’s probably best UFA ever for what we currently need if not the best ever period (if you think he’s better than Tavares that is).   Hughes and EK could anchor our top two lines, we’d almost always have one of them on the ice, and what a PP. 

Maybe I’ve got a bit of a bias having watched his almost entire career from up close since moving neat OTT ten years ago.   He’s just as special as Crosby and Ovechkin, one of four defenseman to be top ten in scoring three times (Orr, Potvin, Coffey are the others)...why wouldn’t we add that to our team if we had the chance?  Don’t re-sign Edler and if need be trade LE with a pick or prospect to clear up space or whatever.  Given teams can talk to him one week prior to free agency Benning could get a deal done with him and if not then re-sign Edler and go about his business.

Second choice would be Skinner.   We need something in our top six that has experience and scoring ability and he checks both boxes.  Whomever we draft now won’t be ready for a while.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

The past two years he’s being 6th best in the league relative Corsi to his teammates....that’s Uber elite ... and he’s a perrenial top shot blocker (which I think he needs to tone down just to keep him healthy).   I agree he’s not the answer to all our woahs,  but he does fill the RHD spot and bump out one of our guys...and he’s not a shrimp like Stetcher and Hughes, not big either but he’s built like a boxer and strong as an ox for his size.  

At some point we will need to get outside elite help, we won’t draft our entire team, EDM tried that and Hall and Eberle are gone, the same way Horvat and Boeser will be if we don’t add some pieces through free agency while we have them here to push us over the top. 

I will I’ll say I think it’s a little early and that we need this draft and one more to add to our pool and have some talent that can trickle in once we do make the playoffs to help keep us there.   But he’s probably best UFA ever for what we currently need if not the best ever period (if you think he’s better than Tavares that is).   Hughes and EK could anchor our top two lines, we’d almost always have one of them on the ice, and what a PP. 

Maybe I’ve got a bit of a bias having watched his almost entire career from up close since moving neat OTT ten years ago.   He’s just as special as Crosby and Ovechkin, one of four defenseman to be top ten in scoring three times (Orr, Potvin, Coffey are the others)...why wouldn’t we add that to our team if we had the chance?  Don’t re-sign Edler and if need be trade LE with a pick or prospect to clear up space or whatever.  Given teams can talk to him one week prior to free agency Benning could get a deal done with him and if not then re-sign Edler and go about his business.

Second choice would be Skinner.   We need something in our top six that has experience and scoring ability and he checks both boxes.  Whomever we draft now won’t be ready for a while.  

Ok no disrespect to your facts on Karlsson, I concede he has been an elite defenseman but those stats are behind him not ahead of him as he will be looking for term as well as cash. Its not the fact that he would or wouldn't help the team. I agree he would be a help especially if we draft a couple more pieces but when will we be ready to challenge for a cup? Karlsson is not the last missing piece we need to challenge for the cup. Even adding an elite player of his abilities, assuming he is healthy which he isn't again and would even consider coming here, doesn't put us in the Tampa , Boston, San Jose, St Louis etc level. It could however give us cap trouble when its time to sign Petterson et al.

It would definitely move us up the ladder, maybe make the playoffs and even win a round , but when the going gets tough and the other teams have elite players at ALL positions we are not there. Karlsson is hurt again this playoff year and how will that affect what happens in Free agency. The only thing signing him will do for sure is affect where we draft. I am not saying it's Karlssons fault but the Ottawa teams he has been on have basically been one and done. One year everyone is excited about them and then they implode. San Jose is a perfect place for him as they are trying to win now. That's who need to resign him or another team that is on the cusp. I still also have concerns over his overall health when he is deemed healthy with that ankle.

Making the playoffs when the rest of the roaster is not ready to compete for the cup pushes us into the same middling place we have been for the last 50 years. That's what happened to Edmonton.  It made them and their fan base think they were ready when they are still not and they ended up signing bad contracts trying to prove they were ready when they weren't.Hall and Eberle are gone because they thought they were further ahead than they were. Maybe i am a bit bias against trying to buy our way into contention. I have seen us try it over the years and it hasn't worked out very well. I am not against signing free agents but id prefer to see us take the next step before we start trying to augment a roster that hasn't been developed yet. I see it as impatient and somewhat foolish.  Bad contracts can handcuff a team. See Lucic or even Eriksson.

I think the point is we may be in a place in three years to challenge for the cup. Given a  couple more draft steals by Jim and the management team , by then Quinn Hughes may have developed into the new Karlsson and we would have to sign him regardless. Then it may be time to add an elite piece if we can get it. Success in free agency is usually preceded by some success by the current core. Players will want to come play beside a player like Petterson or Hughes because it will make their stats better or give them a chance to win the cup.

Juolevi, Woo and perhaps one of the other D men even Tryamkin could return. (I'm not counting on it but it could happen.) I would rather see the team continue to draft well and develop the core that will take us into the 2020's and be ready compete for  championships. Not just make the playoffs.  I don't think we are ready for that yet. Where we are on that scale is arguable but i don't think anyone is planning a parade for next June

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Ok no disrespect to your facts on Karlsson, I concede he has been an elite defenseman but those stats are behind him not ahead of him as he will be looking for term as well as cash. Its not the fact that he would or wouldn't help the team. I agree he would be a help especially if we draft a couple more pieces but when will we be ready to challenge for a cup? Karlsson is not the last missing piece we need to challenge for the cup. Even adding an elite player of his abilities, assuming he is healthy which he isn't again and would even consider coming here, doesn't put us in the Tampa , Boston, San Jose, St Louis etc level. It could however give us cap trouble when its time to sign Petterson et al.

It would definitely move us up the ladder, maybe make the playoffs and even win a round , but when the going gets tough and the other teams have elite players at ALL positions we are not there. Karlsson is hurt again this playoff year and how will that affect what happens in Free agency. The only thing signing him will do for sure is affect where we draft. I am not saying it's Karlssons fault but the Ottawa teams he has been on have basically been one and done. One year everyone is excited about them and then they implode. San Jose is a perfect place for him as they are trying to win now. That's who need to resign him or another team that is on the cusp. I still also have concerns over his overall health when he is deemed healthy with that ankle.

Making the playoffs when the rest of the roaster is not ready to compete for the cup pushes us into the same middling place we have been for the last 50 years. That's what happened to Edmonton.  It made them and their fan base think they were ready when they are still not and they ended up signing bad contracts trying to prove they were ready when they weren't.Hall and Eberle are gone because they thought they were further ahead than they were. Maybe i am a bit bias against trying to buy our way into contention. I have seen us try it over the years and it hasn't worked out very well. I am not against signing free agents but id prefer to see us take the next step before we start trying to augment a roster that hasn't been developed yet. I see it as impatient and somewhat foolish.  Bad contracts can handcuff a team. See Lucic or even Eriksson.

I think the point is we may be in a place in three years to challenge for the cup. Given a  couple more draft steals by Jim and the management team , by then Quinn Hughes may have developed into the new Karlsson and we would have to sign him regardless. Then it may be time to add an elite piece if we can get it. Success in free agency is usually preceded by some success by the current core. Players will want to come play beside a player like Petterson or Hughes because it will make their stats better or give them a chance to win the cup.

Juolevi, Woo and perhaps one of the other D men even Tryamkin could return. (I'm not counting on it but it could happen.) I would rather see the team continue to draft well and develop the core that will take us into the 2020's and be ready compete for  championships. Not just make the playoffs.  I don't think we are ready for that yet. Where we are on that scale is arguable but i don't think anyone is planning a parade for next June

There’s nothing in this that I don’t disagree with, except the fact that we simply don’t have anything in the pipe or now on the right side that top four material with the exception of maybe Stecher and maybe Woo as second pairing guys.  It’s highly doubtful we will draft anyone that’s going to make an impact before Horvats contract is up.  Teams that can win when their players are on second contracts have a lot more staying power then ones that are older.   See Boston and PIT.   

I dont think he will sign here anyways, but also don’t think he’s on a decline (yes I saw his giveaway goal last night), especially after reading an article that delved into his last two years and compared them to the previous four.  He’s still a top defenseman even when he’s not 100%.   He caught fire in Dec and was catching up to Burns until his groin derailed him.

I also think that all these injuries and his ankle might end up costing him a million or more on his money deal this summer. GMs have all sorts of ammunition to keep the deal shorter and for less money then if he was 100% and played all the games.  

This scenario reminds me of Ovi a few years back when everyone was saying he was done after a couple down years. Then he came back and won four more trophies.  

Without outside help we will end up wasting Horvats years with us, and possibly EPs and Hughes as well.   We are one of a few teams that can afford him and pay our young guys without much difficulty.   I’m also not a fan of semi-star signings like LE, Lucic, Neal, Stastny, Okposo, Foligno etc etc.  They end up costing the team too much and would rather pay the actual stars their money and add some elite talent.  Skinner fits into that category but I’d tale a flyer at him too because we need another capable scorer in the to six, and have nothing left in the system right now and whomever we draft this year won’t be making an impact for three or more years.   Vancouver needs to be cognizant of what other teams did wrong, and EDM is a great example.  

When guys like Panarin and EK are available you go for it if you can.   It costs you 2-3 million in cap space eventually but that’s just as easy to waste on a guy like Schaller right?

• Cheers 1

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] The Pros and Cons of Adding Erik Karlsson
On 5/20/2019 at 1:45 PM, IBatch said:

There’s nothing in this that I don’t disagree with, except the fact that we simply don’t have anything in the pipe or now on the right side that top four material with the exception of maybe Stecher and maybe Woo as second pairing guys.  It’s highly doubtful we will draft anyone that’s going to make an impact before Horvats contract is up.  Teams that can win when their players are on second contracts have a lot more staying power then ones that are older.   See Boston and PIT.   

I dont think he will sign here anyways, but also don’t think he’s on a decline (yes I saw his giveaway goal last night), especially after reading an article that delved into his last two years and compared them to the previous four.  He’s still a top defenseman even when he’s not 100%.   He caught fire in Dec and was catching up to Burns until his groin derailed him.

I also think that all these injuries and his ankle might end up costing him a million or more on his money deal this summer. GMs have all sorts of ammunition to keep the deal shorter and for less money then if he was 100% and played all the games.  

This scenario reminds me of Ovi a few years back when everyone was saying he was done after a couple down years. Then he came back and won four more trophies.  

Without outside help we will end up wasting Horvats years with us, and possibly EPs and Hughes as well.   We are one of a few teams that can afford him and pay our young guys without much difficulty.   I’m also not a fan of semi-star signings like LE, Lucic, Neal, Stastny, Okposo, Foligno etc etc.  They end up costing the team too much and would rather pay the actual stars their money and add some elite talent.  Skinner fits into that category but I’d tale a flyer at him too because we need another capable scorer in the to six, and have nothing left in the system right now and whomever we draft this year won’t be making an impact for three or more years.   Vancouver needs to be cognizant of what other teams did wrong, and EDM is a great example.  

When guys like Panarin and EK are available you go for it if you can.   It costs you 2-3 million in cap space eventually but that’s just as easy to waste on a guy like Schaller right?

Bolded above i agree with

The player i would really like to see us sign is Lee but i cant argue your logic on Skinner. Lee is a no nonsense player that is a leader can play the game and stands up for his team mates and isnt afraid of the dirty areas. Love to see him on Peteys wing

if we are going to take that big money and flash it in front of someone i would go with Panarin, even though i think we will have a chance to have some elite players up front from our group. Petterson is heading that way already. I think Hughes may become just as good as Karlsson. We have room for one maybe 2 D men that play small. the others need to be built to withstand the playoffs. and an 11 million dollar contract is an albatross.

as for wasting Bo thats not a bad point. We shouldnt waste him as an asset. if we are not going to compete for a cup when his contract is up when we need to resign him then we should move him for something. I personally dont think we will have to. Bo will be part of the winning core.

If we are going to play Hutton and Stecher and Hughes in the playoffs we are going to be in trouble. None of those D men can play against the bigger players in the conference once they put the whistle away. We need bigger players to survive the playoff grind. The teams that have made the final cut have bigger D men for the most part. Tory Krug is small but built like a fire hydrant. St Louis has size. we need some of it also. and it has to be strong size. Think Dave Babych in his prime. strength and skill.

Karlsson has not been able to withstand the punishment of the playoffs. I doubt that will change as he gets older.

I respect your desire to improve the D. it is the weakest link for sure. We may not agree on how to do it but we agree it needs fixing.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

Bolded above i agree with

The player i would really like to see us sign is Lee but i cant argue your logic on Skinner. Lee is a no nonsense player that is a leader can play the game and stands up for his team mates and isnt afraid of the dirty areas. Love to see him on Peteys wing

if we are going to take that big money and flash it in front of someone i would go with Panarin, even though i think we will have a chance to have some elite players up front from our group. Petterson is heading that way already. I think Hughes may become just as good as Karlsson. We have room for one maybe 2 D men that play small. the others need to be built to withstand the playoffs. and an 11 million dollar contract is an albatross.

as for wasting Bo thats not a bad point. We shouldnt waste him as an asset. if we are not going to compete for a cup when his contract is up when we need to resign him then we should move him for something. I personally dont think we will have to. Bo will be part of the winning core.

If we are going to play Hutton and Stecher and Hughes in the playoffs we are going to be in trouble. None of those D men can play against the bigger players in the conference once they put the whistle away. We need bigger players to survive the playoff grind. The teams that have made the final cut have bigger D men for the most part. Tory Krug is small but built like a fire hydrant. St Louis has size. we need some of it also. and it has to be strong size. Think Dave Babych in his prime. strength and skill.

Karlsson has not been able to withstand the punishment of the playoffs. I doubt that will change as he gets older.

I respect your desire to improve the D. it is the weakest link for sure. We may not agree on how to do it but we agree it needs fixing.

Dave Babych was a bull all the way until he retired in Philly, and still a serviceable defenseman for them (although they forced him to play injured and it ended on a sour note).   My favourite Babych moment was when Probert had him lined up behind the net, and Babych stuck his big butt out and Big Bob went flying right over his head.   He was also impossible to get away from with his one handed holds.  I think he got away with more then he should of some times because the refs were like, well he’s only got one finger and a thumb on the guy and he should be able to skate away.   The announcers would sometimes say his legs were like tree trunks and he was the strongest man in the league, I believed them too. 

Yes we need a few like him, I know we’ve read this a lot but Tryamkin would sure fit that bill.   If not Myers would be a decent add, but he’s not a top pairing guy like he was predicted to be and probably never will get there.  

On the Horvat note, two centers can win cups without an average defense if they have support and are elite.   He’s not elite but he is very very good.   I’ve thought about trading him for a equally good RHD, but the gaping hole he’d leave is too much to really make it worthwhile.    Free Agency is going to have to do for now at least, if we had another top six center then it would make a lot of sense to trade one of them for a defenseman.  Hopefully everything works out and Horvat is here for some good runs before his contract is up, and then re-sign with us for the best years EP and Hughes have to offer.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, IBatch said:

Dave Babych was a bull all the way until he retired in Philly, and still a serviceable defenseman for them (although they forced him to play injured and it ended on a sour note).   My favourite Babych moment was when Probert had him lined up behind the net, and Babych stuck his big butt out and Big Bob went flying right over his head.   He was also impossible to get away from with his one handed holds.  I think he got away with more then he should of some times because the refs were like, well he’s only got one finger and a thumb on the guy and he should be able to skate away.   The announcers would sometimes say his legs were like tree trunks and he was the strongest man in the league, I believed them too. 

Yes we need a few like him, I know we’ve read this a lot but Tryamkin would sure fit that bill.   If not Myers would be a decent add, but he’s not a top pairing guy like he was predicted to be and probably never will get there.  

On the Horvat note, two centers can win cups without an average defense if they have support and are elite.   He’s not elite but he is very very good.   I’ve thought about trading him for a equally good RHD, but the gaping hole he’d leave is too much to really make it worthwhile.    Free Agency is going to have to do for now at least, if we had another top six center then it would make a lot of sense to trade one of them for a defenseman.  Hopefully everything works out and Horvat is here for some good runs before his contract is up, and then re-sign with us for the best years EP and Hughes have to offer.

Bolded why cant we add both? Now that would speed things up a bit. it would be interesting to see if they could sign Myers and then convince the big Russian kid to come back.

now that I am being all hypocritical on signing free agents.

As for a top 6 center maybe Gaudette will become that.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

Bolded why cant we add both? Now that would speed things up a bit. it would be interesting to see if they could sign Myers and then convince the big Russian kid to come back.

now that I am being all hypocritical on signing free agents.

As for a top 6 center maybe Gaudette will become that.

I’ve brought up the subject of the possibility of trading Horvat like NSH did with Seth Jones a couple times before given he’s the elder core member and we need defense desperately but that was primarily before we drafted Hughes.  

After last season I really can’t fathom a deal that would make sense for us, he’s a bull and managed incredibly well with Sutter out for long periods of time and added responsibility playing mostly with chumps until Pearson came along.   Maybe AG does project as a top six player, if so move him to the wing and find a third line center when the time comes and he can be our extra depth center when we need him.  He’d leave a gaping hole even if the return was something like Ghost, Werenski, McAvoy, Parayko etc.  

Benning technically could sign Myers and Skinner and let Edler walk without putting us into real cap issues.  LE could be bought out his last year or if we are lucky traded to a contenter if he’s still like he is now, as a depth add with salary retained.    With some creativity he might even manage to re-sign Edler on a two year deal and make it work too.

• Cheers 1

Just read the exit comments of Pavel ski Thornton and Karlsson after the sharks cleaned out their lockers. (ALL UFAS).

Pavelski says he wants to be back he loves San Jose and he expects something to get worked out. Thornton said if he comes back it will only be to San Jose. Karlsson said he and his wife have been treated first class in San Jose have seen the best side of the team and the city and are grateful.  Says not sure what happens next  but it will happen for a reason.

I'd bet money Karlsson does not re- sign in San Jose. I'll also bet vancouver is on his short list.  

So look out Canuck fans. It just might happen..

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

7 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Just read the exit comments of Pavel ski Thornton and Karlsson after the sharks cleaned out their lockers. (ALL UFAS).

Pavelski says he wants to be back he loves San Jose and he expects something to get worked out. Thornton said if he comes back it will only be to San Jose. Karlsson said he and his wife have been treated first class in San Jose have seen the best side of the team and the city and are grateful.  Says not sure what happens next  but it will happen for a reason.

I'd bet money Karlsson does not re- sign in San Jose. I'll also bet vancouver is on his short list.  

That would be JB making a splash.  It’s a polarizing subject as per this thread, I’m pretty sure he’d be happy hanging out with the Sedins after hours, and EP and co during the season.  And rocker bars on the East Side given that hair.

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

That would be JB making a splash.  It’s a polarizing subject as per this thread, I’m pretty sure he’d be happy hanging out with the Sedins after hours, and EP and co during the season.  And rocker bars on the East Side given that hair.

If Karlsson is signed in Vancouver it will have Aquilini's fingerprints all over it.

• Upvote 2

On 5/23/2019 at 10:12 PM, fanfor42 said:

More comments are coming out and EK is in the midst of saying all the right things pros do when they are about to leave their city for greener pastures.  You would thing SJ would have opened a dialogue to re-sign him already .... then again they know his ask will be what Doughty is getting and maybe they are realizing their team is too old and they’d be smarter to start planning for a rebuild which is looming around the corner.   Strange how a year ago they were willing to sign Tavares, then traded for EK a more suitable substitute.

They did say EK was 100% for maybe six weeks while he was there and they know what an impact he makes when he is and even when he isn’t.   

The last week of June will be a busy one for EKs agent as teams feel him out to see if they’d like to play with them.   I’d expect some visits to a city or two during that time span which will give some hints of who’s in the running (or staff visiting EK too).   

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

More comments are coming out and EK is in the midst of saying all the right things pros do when they are about to leave their city for greener pastures.  You would thing SJ would have opened a dialogue to re-sign him already .... then again they know his ask will be what Doughty is getting and maybe they are realizing their team is too old and they’d be smarter to start planning for a rebuild which is looming around the corner.   Strange how a year ago they were willing to sign Tavares, then traded for EK a more suitable substitute.

They did say EK was 100% for maybe six weeks while he was there and they know what an impact he makes when he is and even when he isn’t.   

The last week of June will be a busy one for EKs agent as teams feel him out to see if they’d like to play with them.   I’d expect some visits to a city or two during that time span which will give some hints of who’s in the running (or staff visiting EK too).   

Think Tampa Bay as long as they can shed some cap. Perhaps we can pry one of their good young D men out of them to make room for Karlsson there, They have a couple good young Russian Right handers 20 and 21.

On 5/23/2019 at 7:12 PM, fanfor42 said:

I will bet Vancouver is like in the bottom 5 in the league on his list.  I am betting on a contender like Tampa. All they need to do is shed some salary cap.

• Wat 1

On 4/25/2019 at 6:54 AM, combover said:

Is injury prone/damaged goods  

Didn’t make Ottawa a contender 

I disagree that he is injury prone. He played 82 games in the three years from 2013-2016 followed by 77 games and 71 the following two years. Its just the last 2 years he's had injuries. 

As to not making ottawa a contender. Hockey is a team game. Karlsson has always been an extremely prominent player in the Playoffs and in Regular season. You notice him every shift and you can't say that about many players. Oh yes...didn't Ottawa take the much more talented Pittsburgh to 2OT in game 7 of the Semi Finals in 2017. Karlsson was the most prominate player in that series and that Playoffs. One goal away from making the Finals is contending

Remember Boston signing Chara as a free agent...good move and won Cup

Remember Anaheim signing Scott Niedermayer as a free agent...good move and won Cup

Free Agent All-Star defenseman are difference makers...more so than any other position 

I'm all for signing Karlsson

Edited by bassetgreg

54 minutes ago, bassetgreg said:

I disagree that he is injury prone. He played 82 games in the three years from 2013-2016 followed by 77 games and 71 the following two years. Its just the last 2 years he's had injuries. 

As to not making ottawa a contender. Hockey is a team game. Karlsson has always been an extremely prominent player in the Playoffs and in Regular season. You notice him every shift and you can't say that about many players. Oh yes...didn't Ottawa take the much more talented Pittsburgh to 2OT in game 7 of the Semi Finals in 2017. Karlsson was the most prominate player in that series and that Playoffs. One goal away from making the Finals is contending

Remember Boston signing Chara as a free agent...good move and won Cup

Remember Anaheim signing Scott Niedermayer as a free agent...good move and won Cup

Free Agent All-Star defenseman are difference makers...more so than any other position 

I'm all for signing Karlsson

Yeah but it seems these guys go from man of steal to man of glass.

linden, henrick and so many others once the injury bug catches up....

He’s older and only going to be less durable. Just like the current veteran dmen we have. 

We don’t need another over priced guy to watch from the press box when the team isn’t one good dman away from being a CUP contender anyway. 

It would be a mistake to sign him, I hope he doesn’t want to play here because I think Jimmie will handcuff this club with another stupid bad contract.