The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Pros and Cons of Adding Erik Karlsson

32 minutes ago, combover said:

We don’t need another over priced guy to watch from the press box when the team isn’t one good dman away from being a CUP contender anyway. 

We won't be a Cup contender without a Superstar like Karlsson. He makes everyone around him better.  He has skill. He has speed. He has great vision and he is as competitive as all hell. To be champions bold moves and hard decisions are needed. Don't let Loui Eriksson make you gun-shy. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bassetgreg said:

Karlsson is a much better defenceman and doesn't cost you assets

Yup.  When JB was in Boston, they signed Chara as a UFA.  Chara made that entire team (especially their D) way better.  If we got EK - I doubt it though - to come here, he would make our team and D way WAY better.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, bassetgreg said:

We won't be a Cup contender without a Superstar like Karlsson. He makes everyone around him better.  He has skill. He has speed. He has great vision and he is as competitive as all hell. To be champions bold moves and hard decisions are needed. Don't let Loui Eriksson make you gun-shy. 

I know he is competitive he demanded a trade from his old team when it looked like they were falling flat (even with him)  oh  And after his wife went on Twitter and blasted one of his team mates.character.

Bold moves make champions then we should be building and acquiring more pieces so we could actually have depth so when the 30+ year old vets get hurt/we have players that can step in. 

Depth wins championships not a super soft group of dmen who have zero physical presence.

Hughes has all those thing you listed and could be a very similar player in a few years except he won’t be 30+ years old and costing a ridiculous amount of money putting us in the same position as Toronto with the likes of Marleau and now risking losing youth and skill but hey why learn from others mistakes. 

Maybe we should trade some young skill like Edmonton did too,BOLD. 

eriksdone was a  stupid signing at the time anyone without the blinders on could see that. That doesn’t make a person gun shy but having a team with zero depth at any position  does  the farm is awful 

Signing him is a mistake and will set this club back yet again. Shorted sighted. 

We can agree to disagree 

3 hours ago, combover said:

I know he is competitive he demanded a trade from his old team when it looked like they were falling flat (even with him)  oh  And after his wife went on Twitter and blasted one of his team mates.character.

Bold moves make champions then we should be building and acquiring more pieces so we could actually have depth so when the 30+ year old vets get hurt/we have players that can step in. 

Depth wins championships not a super soft group of dmen who have zero physical presence.

Hughes has all those thing you listed and could be a very similar player in a few years except he won’t be 30+ years old and costing a ridiculous amount of money putting us in the same position as Toronto with the likes of Marleau and now risking losing youth and skill but hey why learn from others mistakes. 

Maybe we should trade some young skill like Edmonton did too,BOLD. 

eriksdone was a  stupid signing at the time anyone without the blinders on could see that. That doesn’t make a person gun shy but having a team with zero depth at any position  does  the farm is awful 

Signing him is a mistake and will set this club back yet again. Shorted sighted. 

We can agree to disagree 

On 5/29/2019 at 8:16 AM, combover said:

Yeah but it seems these guys go from man of steal to man of glass.

linden, henrick and so many others once the injury bug catches up....

He’s older and only going to be less durable. Just like the current veteran dmen we have. 

We don’t need another over priced guy to watch from the press box when the team isn’t one good dman away from being a CUP contender anyway. 

It would be a mistake to sign him, I hope he doesn’t want to play here because I think Jimmie will handcuff this club with another stupid bad contract. 

On 5/29/2019 at 8:59 AM, bassetgreg said:

He’s turning 29 tomorrow. I don’t consider that old. IMO he is still in the prime years, 33-34 is old. I can see the merit in both sides of this argument tho.

On 5/20/2019 at 6:55 AM, mikeyman109 said:

Juolevi, Woo and perhaps one of the other D men even Tryamkin could return. 

Tryamkin had his chance. I think he blew it. He didn't even make the Russian Olympic team. Remember the NHL players didn't go. Do you really think his game has improved in the KHL?  I think his character could be in question as well. Remember his fitness issues and how he refused to do a short stint in the minors to improve his fitness. Didn't his KHL team revoke his Captaincy  after only 2 months? When he was here his intensity seemed lacking. I think Tryamkin would be a 7th or 8th Defenceman at best but he could possibly fail to make the team

10 hours ago, bassetgreg said:

Tryamkin had his chance. I think he blew it. He didn't even make the Russian Olympic team. Remember the NHL players didn't go. Do you really think his game has improved in the KHL?  I think his character could be in question as well. Remember his fitness issues and how he refused to do a short stint in the minors to improve his fitness. Didn't his KHL team revoke his Captaincy  after only 2 months? When he was here his intensity seemed lacking. I think Tryamkin would be a 7th or 8th Defenceman at best but he could possibly fail to make the team

I am not touting him as the next Bobby Orr , he would add to a rag tag group that does need a upgrade. I am not in favor of adding Karlsson at this time. You dont have to convince me that Tryamkin may not be ready for the NHL again.

I hear Zaitsev is available in Toronto, as a RHD he might be a better option if JB can swing a trade.