The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Apologizes to George McPhee

Rate this topic

22 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Tbh it was a 5 minute major but they just called it on the wrong guy.

Eakin lifts Pavelski with the cross check but Stastny is the one who then catches him and pile drives him to the ice head first. It’s not even as if the puck was there or in the Vegas corner. Pavelski won the faceoff and was going to the front of the net to get positioning. 

Eakin makes him airborne but the real infraction was then Stastny slamming him down as the puck is nowhere near him. Stastny should have been tagged for roughing or interference and the 5 because it’s not a small deal what happened to Pavelski. Gruesome to say the least.

...and screw the NHL for sucking up to Vegas. Never have they done this before but their shiny new toy the Golden Knights, they’ll finely go out publicly to reassure them it was a mistake and they own up to it when things happen. Lmao gtfo here. What a joke. How about the past 10+ years of poor reffing? :picard:

Yeah, not sure what you saw there, but it isn't what happened.

Eakins' cross check put Pavelski off balance and he hit his head on the ice, because he wasn't able to get his arms underneath himself to break his fall. Really bad luck for little Joe and the Sharks, but not worth more than a 2 minute minor at most.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

Agreed, some people seem to think we didn't get any calls but we got plenty of calls and never capitalized on any of them. I'm sure there were still missed calls but clearly it wasn't making a difference. Tim Thomas was insane, that's really all there was to it. 

I went over the numbers, (just to make sure I was remembering it right) and the Canucks had 43 opportunities. They scored 2 ppgs....

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

Did you even watch it? at no point does Stastny slam him down. Eakin crosschecked Pavelski into Statsny and he just ran into him. Statsny did absolutely nothing wrong.  If anything should have been a two for cross-checking by Eakins. 

I think he does.

Yes Stastny “ran into him” but if you look at Stastny, he actually shoved him down with his arms and you can even see his follow through.

46 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Eakins' cross check put Pavelski off balance and he hit his head on the ice, because he wasn't able to get his arms underneath himself to break his fall. Really bad luck for little Joe and the Sharks, but not worth more than a 2 minute minor at most.

Uhhh, not sure what you saw but it is what happened.

Full video in which 2:00-2:10 mark shows it as well Ray explaining it...Couture even goes towards Stastny immediately after because he’s the one who caused Pavelski’s head to be smashed.

...Eakins cross checking him isn’t all that happened as you’re making it out to be. It’s definitely not the only thing that happened which led to Pavelski hitting the ice head first. Those sort of plays happen often and it certainly doesn’t lead to a player’s head being driven down just by being lifted and losing balance temporarily. It was a 2 part/sequence bang-bang play in which Pavelski got launched towards Stastny who then drove him downwards.

I don’t think Stastny had any bad intent because it happened so quickly but at the end of that day it is what happened and infractions whether intentional or not as we know get called in hockey. And in this case, it should have been on Stastny and seeing the result a 5 min major to him would’ve been understandable. Feel terrible for Pavelski.

Similar sort of action/movement to when Matheson dropped Pettersson and he got suspended 2 games for it.

https://www.nhl.com/video/matheson-suspended-two-games/t-277440360/c-61880603

Can’t drive a guy down with your arms when he’s off balance, we all know the risk and danger involved with the head. And before you mention it, YES I get Matheson scenario was a bit different as he was the only perpetrator whereas Pavelski it’s due to the actions of 2 players. Point being, how Pavelski/Pettersson fell is due to the same action or follow through of the arm. 

That’s not a hockey play, never has been, never will be. 

Edited by Generational.EP40

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Already going down. Stastny didn't cause that.

Maybe if you'd spent a day in your life on skates....

Yea, losing balance and falling is one thing. You don’t just slam your head with that much force by either one of those...I don’t recall saying that. Stastny didn’t cause him to get off balance but he 100% shoved him down and made it a lot worse. If he doesn’t do that, it’s just a regular fall and Pavelski doesn’t get severely injured. But according to your initial response, that never happened so nice to see you backtrack and change up the point that Stastny all of a sudden did play a part and is involved now :) 

...uhhh, I’ve played ice hockey my entire life. Never have I fell like that by just being knocked off balance. 

But sure, I guess you’re just going to ignore what’s right there in plain sight to see for everyone :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Yea, losing balance and falling is one thing. You don’t just slam your head with that much force by either one of those...I don’t recall saying that. Stastny didn’t cause him to get off balance but he 100% shoved him down and made it a lot worse. If he doesn’t do that, it’s just a regular fall and Pavelski doesn’t get severely injured. But according to your initial response, that never happened so nice to see you backtrack and change up the point that Stastny all of a sudden did play a part and is involved now :) 

...uhhh, I’ve played ice hockey my entire life. Never have I fell like that by just being knocked off balance. 

But sure, I guess you’re just going to ignore what’s right there in plain sight to see for everyone :rolleyes:

I'm going to ignore it, because it's wrong.

I've been playing for over 50 years, and I've seen it many times.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm going to ignore it, because it's wrong.

I've been playing for over 50 years, and I've seen it many times.

Sure, if you say so?

& I don’t know what that has to do what happened here with Pavelski.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Reality check: it is what happened.

...and then some fans say the league is incompetent and can’t admit to x,y,z. You are literally saying what happened didn’t happen; if that’s not ignorance is bliss then idk what is.

Good day to you sir :lol:

5 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

So the Nhl came out and apologized to George McPhee about the call in Game 7.  The refs from that game O’Halloran and Ferlatt have been told they won’t ref for the rest of the playoffs.

Honestly I wouldn’t have a problem with this if the NHL always did this, but they HAVEN’T!  This is the first time ever they’ve done this and not only that they’ve done it to the newest franchise basically saying that this team is the sweetheart of the NHL.  This makes me feel absolutely sick being a Canucks fan being screwed time and time again by the refs with no apology.  Vegas fans get the golden treatment without any suffering at all and it is sick.

Also, why are these refs suspended, but Kelly Sutherland who made an arguably worse call in game 2 allowed to continue reffing?  I know all of us can agree that Sutherland has probably made the most bad calls in the NHL yet is given a free pass.

Sure a lot of you were Vegas fans last series but I’m sure you can agree with me that the NHL doing this is just stab in the back to us Canucks fans.

Dude, this call literally lost Vegas the series. The game was over.. and then this phantom 5-minute major comes and San Jose gets a ton of momentum... You can actually say 100% that the refs put San Jose into round 2 and sent Vegas home. This is a brutal brutal call. This is way worse than the Rome suspension.

This was totally unacceptable. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I really wish people would stop with this assertion that the Canucks were screwed by the refs in 2011. We got significantly more PP time than Boston did. We just didn't take advantage the way we had all season.

The real reason for the loss was too many banged up regulars and a goaltending tandem with a .902 SV percentage, vs Tim Thomas' .967 %

Another reason is scoring the lowest amount of goals ever scored in a 7 game series in the history of the NHL. Without Luongo’s 3 amazing games, we woulda been swept. 

On another note one of my buddy’s got blacklisted and fired from reffing in the WHL about 15 years ago :lol:  when a ref asked for clarification on a call, buddy replied “I think I saw...” to which the coach replied “ f***ed our season because YOU THINK YOU F***ING SAW....” :lol: 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

So the Nhl came out and apologized to George McPhee about the call in Game 7.  The refs from that game O’Halloran and Ferlatt have been told they won’t ref for the rest of the playoffs.

Honestly I wouldn’t have a problem with this if the NHL always did this, but they HAVEN’T!  This is the first time ever they’ve done this and not only that they’ve done it to the newest franchise basically saying that this team is the sweetheart of the NHL.  This makes me feel absolutely sick being a Canucks fan being screwed time and time again by the refs with no apology.  Vegas fans get the golden treatment without any suffering at all and it is sick.

Also, why are these refs suspended, but Kelly Sutherland who made an arguably worse call in game 2 allowed to continue reffing?  I know all of us can agree that Sutherland has probably made the most bad calls in the NHL yet is given a free pass.

Sure a lot of you were Vegas fans last series but I’m sure you can agree with me that the NHL doing this is just stab in the back to us Canucks fans.

Kill a freakin' penalty and no apology needed - just another "not great" call that every team gets.   Vegas should have apologized for the slapstick penalty killing effort.

No question call wasn't the greatest but far worse calls have been made in the NHL playoffs and somehow the team on the receiving end didn't let in a goal every few seconds....

1 hour ago, spliced said:

The call really was that bad. The 5 minute PP was the worst part but Vegas not having Eakin for OT hurt them as well.

meh, that kind of questionable officiating is expected against US.  Remember the *SEVEN MINUTE POWER PLAY* the Kings got against us (back when Torts was the coach)?  Granted that was "only" the regular season but what about the big meanie Sedin who gave a little tap to one of the Shark midgets & got a minor penalty in OT (which they scored)?:

That THE WORST officiated playoff series I ever seen (funny how it involves much of the same roster San Jose Sharks).  And no, I'm not whining about the end result (the Sharks were the better team - only they didn't need any help from the zebras).

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What an embarrassment. Why apologize now, when they've been woefully and totally incompetent for decades?

Will Gillis get one for the completely lopsided job done in 2011?

Actuall PB,  this is good..

its like the first step of Alcohol Recovery is admitting your an Alcoholic.

I look forward to changes for the referees to be able to use the proper tools of technology to help them do their job more fairly, with more consistency.

The iPad / Monitor could have easily been used in the Eakin incident.  It would have taken the referees less time to get it right, than what it took to help Pavelski off the ice surface.

Its something the NHL SHOULD adopt today, not tomorrow, mid stream of these 2018-19 playoffs.

The game has become too fast for the naked eye,. Time to use the tools to help keep up with it.

• Upvote 1