The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Apologizes to George McPhee

Rate this topic

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

meh, that kind of questionable officiating is expected against US.  Remember the *SEVEN MINUTE POWER PLAY* the Kings got against us (back when Torts was the coach)?  Granted that was "only" the regular season but what about the big meanie Sedin who gave a little tap to one of the Shark midgets & got a minor penalty in OT (which they scored)?:

That THE WORST officiated playoff series I ever seen (funny how it involves much of the same roster San Jose Sharks).  And no, I'm not whining about the end result (the Sharks were the better team - only they didn't need any help from the zebras).

Anyone remember the final totals on that series. I seem to remember the calls being like 22 to 6 in favour of the Sharks that series. I remember one brutal call on Daniel. Frig. Now I'm mad. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

P*ssy move by the NHL, stand by your refs. Deal with the call internally. Not the worst call made in the history of hockey.   

Kissing up to Vegas?  Absolutely

But look, Ref's are human and mistakes are made.  It happens.  The ref's couldn't be held responsible for 4 goals in a 5 min pp however.  This kind of thing almost never happens and Ron McLean had to go back to the 90's to find something similar.  It was a case of Logan Coture rallying his troops and a total collapse by Vegas.  A perfect storm.  No apology was necessary.  This is all on the team that lost the game.

Want to make up for this NHL?  How about allowing reviews of such plays rather than let the ref's guess when they are afraid of losing control of the game and GET THE FRIGGING CALL RIGHT!  It's a special case when there was an injury and / or a major penalty awarded (where a goal scored doesn't end the penalty).  Surely the "smart" guys in head office can figure something out.

Honestly doing something about it would make Vegas feel better than a ....... sorry  :picard:

Dear Vegas,

You were up 3 games to 1. 

Maybe the issue is your PK sucks, and you should have finished the series in 5 games? 

Maybe if you whine enough Uncle Gary will allow you to be the first team to make the playoffs and get 1st overall in the draft? 

You've been gifted everything else. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Actually I think it's the right move. It just needs to be done more consistently. The refs should be held accountable.

Maybe.. but why couldn't the league interfere at the time then? instead of letting the game play out.. now it's like they're saying San Jose shouldn't even be playing anymore? that's not going to fuel any anger or anything.. 

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Hey Vegas, sorry for the bad call, this happens all the time. Maybe get your PK in order and not let in 4 goals in 5 minutes. How can the league bend so your PK can improve?

The reason for the NHL PUBLIC apology and crucifiction of Its officials is money.  Las Vegas paid a half billion bucks, were given a chance at an entry draft like no other, and pretty much handed a ticket to the finals.  Now two stupid referees undo all that, and endanger the next half billion dollar payday (and who knows how many future ones) - Bettman’s prideful legacy.  Who is going to pay half a billion for a franchise if it doesn’t come with a guarantee?

• Wat 1

What a joke. Might not have been the right call but Vegas still allowed San Jose to score four goals on them. That's not on the refs, that's on Vegas. One goal I could see, two maybe. But four? Nah, Vegas took a big fat dump during that PK and that's on the team and their buffoon of a coach. 

Embarrassing move by the league, this ain't something they're going to do consistently so it just looks like them sucking up to their shiny new toy. Reffing has been questionable for years and you rarely hear a peep out of them. They sure didn't give a $&!# when Boston ran around in 2011. Didn't give a $&!# when they broke Raymond's back but they threw the book at Rome. 

I'm so glad Vegas got punted, I can't stand their clownish looking owner or their entitled two year old fanbase. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, rekker said:

Anyone remember the final totals on that series. I seem to remember the calls being like 22 to 6 in favour of the Sharks that series. I remember one brutal call on Daniel. Frig. Now I'm mad. 

I'm not sure how anyone could bandwagon for the Sharks. I see it a lot on other forums and reddit. 

The team is full of whiners, Joe Thornton is a cheap, dirty a**hole (and always has been) and they're perennial chokers. The Sharks should be hated.

Can someone tell me why people adore Joe Thornton? He's always been a complete garbage person who tries to injure people when he's losing. Much worse than Perry.

• Cheers 1

took one for the boys on the way out, going out in a blaze of glory

36 minutes ago, mephnick said:

I'm not sure how anyone could bandwagon for the Sharks. I see it a lot on other forums and reddit. 

The team is full of whiners, Joe Thornton is a cheap, dirty a**hole (and always has been) and they're perennial chokers. The Sharks should be hated.

Can someone tell me why people adore Joe Thornton? He's always been a complete garbage person who tries to injure people when he's losing. Much worse than Perry.

its one of those "x-guys who've been in the league forever and havent won anything" it its an endearment

1 hour ago, mephnick said:

Remember this? Thornton's a punk who I hope never wins a cup. 

hank-and-joe.png

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

The thing is, this is just another example of the league picking and choosing.  It probably angers more teams than anything.

The Golden Boys get an apology...why are they special?  It's the ol'boys club in action. 

It's BS and we got a big "we're watching you" in a pregame skate.  Guess that made us special too...in all the wrong ways.  Too bad Roger Nielsen never lived to get his apology.  Playoff officiating has been horrible for the Canucks.

I'm still waiting for egghead Messier to apologize for cross checking an injured player while he was down on the ice.  League didn't care about that.

So many examples of things that warranted action and were ignored.  So for the league to apologize to a team?  That's one on the list so keep going or this is a slap in the face to all the others.

• Upvote 4

Welcome to the real nhl, vegas fans. 

Wait till things like this happen so much, so obvious, that you cant help but feel its done on purpose. 

Then youll know what its like to be a canucks fan. 

PS i hope its decades before you sniff the cup again. You didnt deserve it the first time. I want to feeeel your pain

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

meh, that kind of questionable officiating is expected against US.  Remember the *SEVEN MINUTE POWER PLAY* the Kings got against us (back when Torts was the coach)?  Granted that was "only" the regular season but what about the big meanie Sedin who gave a little tap to one of the Shark midgets & got a minor penalty in OT (which they scored)?:

That THE WORST officiated playoff series I ever seen (funny how it involves much of the same roster San Jose Sharks).  And no, I'm not whining about the end result (the Sharks were the better team - only they didn't need any help from the zebras).

That 7 minute PK garbage happened 2 games in a row, as Hansen got similarly tossed against the Ducks 2 days later.  I was so livid, and glad I decided to skip going to the Ducks game.

Regarding the Kings game, Jordan Nolan made it to my permanent hate list... fricken weasel.

Agreed on the Sharks Canucks series, too.  Laughable.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

What a weak response.  

“Wow we are sorry your pk let in a bunch of goals. We didnt mean for you to lose this series. Our game management was off this year for you. We are going to burn the witch responsible and we hope to keep having vegas fans spend a fraction of the price for tickets that working class canadians spend through rebuilds and worse calls.”

screw bettman and screw the nhl. And screw vegas for a pandering apology so the whole fanbase doesnt go “safe space mode” and goes back to watching strippers and poker. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I really wish people would stop with this assertion that the Canucks were screwed by the refs in 2011. We got significantly more PP time than Boston did. We just didn't take advantage the way we had all season.

The real reason for the loss was too many banged up regulars and a goaltending tandem with a .902 SV percentage, vs Tim Thomas' .967 %

Agreed it wasn't the refs it was the hockey gods. As long as Vancouver has a team, the gods will never favor the team. Even screwing them statically. 

9 hours ago, mephnick said:

He's the reason the Sharks are the last team I want to win a cup. I think anytime a team makes a classless d-bag the captain(I know he's not the captain anymore) It just looks bad on the whole team. I kind of figure if they allow their captain to act like that then probably the whole team will be like that. I do like Pavelski though and think it was a good change for them as captain. So now I just don't want Thorton to win the cup. 

21 hours ago, Justdean10 said:

He's the reason the Sharks are the last team I want to win a cup. I think anytime a team makes a classless d-bag the captain(I know he's not the captain anymore) It just looks bad on the whole team. I kind of figure if they allow their captain to act like that then probably the whole team will be like that. I do like Pavelski though and think it was a good change for them as captain. So now I just don't want Thorton to win the cup. 

The only team I hate more than the Sharks is Pittsburgh and now I'm even more mad at the Sharks for choking when I had to cheer for them over Pitt. Screw the Sharks.