The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Florida Senate approves bill allowing armed teachers

Mackcanuck

Florida Senate approves bill allowing armed teachers

Teachers who volunteer to bring guns to schools would have to undergo a psychological test and at least 144 hours of training, the results of which have to be approved by law enforcement.

My guess is that the vast majority of teachers will give it a miss. Can't say that I know that much about teachers in Florida, but if they're like most teachers, they'll think this is a bad idea. (And will likely be miffed that much-needed funding is going towards this initiative)

Texas, OTOH.....

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So do teachers get a raise then? Cost money to buy firearms. Do they get professional days to go to a range? Ammunition paid for?

Training on handling the firearms? Might as well teach them martial arts while we're at it. Do they get flak vest too? 

Tax deductible!

6 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Sounds like Betsy Devos.( secretary of education and complete fool) is hard at work ,AGAIN.

AMURICA' , JUST TOO MANY GUNS AND TOO MUCH IGNORANCE.

Betsy recently made headlines for her plan to cut funding for the Special Olympics, which, in a twisted sort of way, is apropos....

....this idea sounds like a Special Olympian came up with it...

Oh boy...

All that is running through my head is that more than a few times growing up, I saw teachers lose it on the class.

One time was a full fist fight with a student!

Teaching is already a stressful job.

I don't want to one day read the headline that I am implying.

I'm very skeptical about how effective this will be.

The article doesn't state any details of the training. Will they just be learning how to fire a gun? Will they undergo training that will allow them to be effective in a live-fire situation? 144 hours doesn't seem like enough time to me, this could easily blow up in their faces...

Archived