The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

8 years ago

Rate this topic

ItalianCanuck1

The reason why we all love the Canucks.  Somehow, they make things difficult for themselves and then comes through at the last moment. It's like they do this on purpose to shorten the lifespan of all Canucks fans... wide swing of mood can't be good for health.

I just realised, we also had Samuelsson but he was out against the Bruins. Just way too banged up and yet, made it to the finals. The depth of that team was so great. 

• Like 2

Given the set back of Tampa in these playoffs, and given the past setbacks of President Trophy winning teams like Washington and San Jose that failed to make it to the cup finals on multiple occasions, I think it makes Vancouver’s year in 2011 all the more impressive.   We dominated the year in every single statistical category and came within a game of winning the cup.   And yes - injuries did play a key factor, as it does in most NHL playoffs.

Tampa’s “swallow” job of Columbus this year makes me appreciate what Vancouver did in 2011 a whole lot more.

• Upvote 2

Alex Burrows was a complete beast in this game. Not only did he get the OT winner. He scored our only other goal early in the 1st. And was awarded a penalty shot early in the 3rd (which was saved). He had 7 shots on goal that night. It says his OT winner was unassisted but in reality an assist should have been awarded to Chris Campoli. :lol:

Scoring Summary
1ST PERIOD
VAN.png 02:43 - Alex Burrows (2), Wrist Shot. Assist: Kesler, Raymond
2ND PERIOD
None
3RD PERIOD
CHI.png 18:04 Short - Jonathan Toews (1), Backhand Shot. Assist: Hossa, Seabrook
OT
VAN.png 05:22

- Alex Burrows (3), Slap Shot, Unassisted.

Penalty Summary

1ST PERIOD
CHI.png 16:21 Seabrook, 2 min, Cross-Checking
2ND PERIOD
VAN.png 10:18 Hansen, 2 min, Tripping
3RD PERIOD
CHI.png 16:43 Keith, 2 min, Hooking
OT
VAN.png 24.0 Burrows, 2 min, Holding

Shots On Goal

1 2 3 OT T
CHI 12 6 13 1 32
VAN 8 15 12 3 38

Goalies

Goalie MINS S GA
CHI.gif Corey Crawford 65:16 36 2
VAN.gif Roberto Luongo 65:22 31 1

Game Information

Attendance - 18860
Referees - Paul Devorski, Steve Kozari
Linesmen - Greg Devorski, Jay Sharrers
Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Eight years? Time sure flies...

Another big play that sometimes gets forgotten is when Burrows had taken a penalty in Game 7 OT and Luongo making a big save on Sharp on the PK. Burrows sure made up for the penalty he took earlier after scoring one of the biggest goals in Canucks history.

That whole sequence gave me a heart attack. I saw Sharp was about to get that shot and remember thinking, "Please, God, Lou, if you make one save in your career make it this one," and then Burr was out of the box going the other way and the rest is well... History.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Another big play that sometimes gets forgotten is when Burrows had taken a penalty in Game 7 OT and Luongo making a big save on Sharp on the PK. Burrows sure made up for the penalty he took earlier after scoring one of the biggest goals in Canucks history.

lui moving from left to right, sharp with the bang-bang play. it was lucky that the shot hit lu in the shoulder instead of going top corner. 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Aw, man....next to my kids being born....

I've told this story here before, but feel compelled to tell it again.  That game is the most memorable, ever, for me.

I worked until 4 and was going to rush home, make dinner then settle in for the game.  Except...I had children and my son needed a ride to his girlfriend's.  In Surrey.  I grumbled, complained and told him I HAD to be back in time for the game so be ready to tuck and roll.

We rushed out to Surrey and along the way we heard a bang coming from the back of the car.   As I dropped him off we had a quick check of where we thought the sound had come from - nothing.  So off I went, at warp speed, to do the 40 minute or so drive home.  It was about an hour before game time - I was good (unless there was unusually heavy traffic...although I would be travelling counter to the rush hour stuff).

So as I'm tearing (within the speed limit of course) at 900 mph along River Road, I went to pass a slow moving semi (as he was too big to just ram out of my way).  At that moment, my tire blew and the car went snaky!!!  RIGHT in front of the funeral home where we'd cremated Mom...I think she might have helped me out that day.

I was rattled, but got to the side of the road where my first thoughts were:  OMG I'M GOING TO MISS THE GAME!!!!

I had no cell phone.  There was nothing much in the area to speak of.  Except....was that a Quizno's sign???  It was.

I RAN down the side street and was happy to see it was still open.  I PLEADED with the owner to let me use the phone to call BCAA - at first he said no, then I explained that I would die if I wasn't home for the game so he agreed. 

I called BCAA and the clerk immediately informed me that there was a back up and it would be at least an hour's wait.  OMG NO.  

Again, I pleaded.  Begged.  Bribed.  (Not really).   The guy was good natured, had a laugh at my desperation and said he'd see what he could do.

I RAN back to the car and put the radio on for the pregame.  Within 15 minutes or so a BCAA driver arrived on the scene.   

The anthems were being sung as I got back into the car after getting him set up.  I had the sunroof open and a HUGE cloud passed overhead and it started to rain.  Maybe it was my tears, I don't know.  Then an eagle soared over the car and a rainbow came out.  I took that to be a sign.

The game started and Burr scored!!!   I honked the horn (LOL, it's what we did when we were in the car for a Canucks' goal)...poor guy working on my tire.  I apologized, he finished and I went speeding (at speed limit, of course) through the tunnel and home.  I was a wreck, but got in to catch the second in progress.  My daughter was there and got a video of me as the dragon was slayed that game...it's hilarious.  I didn't know she was filming and all the emotion of the frantic dash came pouring out along with sheer jubilation at the goal.

Quite a game.

Love the story, Deb.

That's why I open this thread, love how Canucks are linked with our personal history.

And that's one of the main reasons why I am so upset we are out of the playoffs for many years.

No playoffs, no big memories. (Except Sedins last one)

• Like 1

I thank you, for starting this thread.  Driving in to work they were talking about this anniversary and I got a little teary.  Of course it was Burr...who else?

People talk as though there have been only low points but we've sure had some highs as well.  This being one of them.  I, too, get goosebumps thinking about it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Gotta be the biggest win in Canucks history. IIRC Burr missed a penalty shot too. Either 2nd or 3rd period. His finger prints were alllll over that game.

I have game 5 vs Boston pretty high... The suspense of that one was something esle. But not better than this game. 

• Like 2

On 4/27/2019 at 9:56 AM, erkayloomeh said:

While that was very exciting I always wondered how it would have affected us in the finals had we not had those extra games and been rested 

Very true.  

Also keep in mind that San Jose and Nashville were not cake walks either (outside of one blow out game we had against the Sharks).  San Jose And Nashville were VERY physical and those series’ also took its toll on us (on top of the travel).  Boston faces Montreal and Tampa in two of those series (two teams that were not known for being physical).   Philadelphia was physical, but they were having a sexual identity crisis of sorts that year and so they went down in 4 straight to the B’s.

onwards and upwards.   Canucks are trending in the right direction and we’ll get back to the finals sooner than later.

• Cheers 1