The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The time to utilize the cap and fix the forward group is now. CAP explaining and Toroto failure

42 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Matches his production. He put up 66 points in 71 games or 76 points in a full season. Impressive numbers for sure, but even at 76 points, he doesn't even break the top 30 in points this season. 9-12 million would put him in the top 10 paid players in the game. I love EP, but he would certainly need to improve his numbers and his overall game to get that type of contract.

How many of those top 30 in points are rookies?

Pete seems like the kind of player that will spend the offseason improving on his game and will return stronger, quicker, faster.  He knows the ropes now, so he will likely supersede each year until he reaches his peak.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

How many of those top 30 in points are rookies?

Pete seems like the kind of player that will spend the offseason improving on his game and will return stronger, quicker, faster.  He knows the ropes now, so he will likely supersede each year until he reaches his peak.

That may be so, but the poster that I responded to suggested that even if he even matches his production for the remainder of his ELC that he would fetch 9-12 million. If he progresses by the end of his ELC (which I hope and expect him to) then he may get there, but not at his current production.

Wouldn't take that Nylander contract at 50% retained if the Leafs threw in their 1st just to get rid of him.  No reason to waste that kind of cap space on a soft, lazy floater who refuses to put in the necessary effort to become an NHLer.  The guy makes Vrbata look like a workaholic and Greener would throw his useless ass in the pressbox where he belongs.  Bringing in someone that lazy would be a terrible example for our young players; you don't want anyone thinking Nylander's pitiful excuse for effort is acceptable.

These playoffs were his chance to show he cares about winning and he still looked like he needed a tourist visa to cross the blue line.

On 4/27/2019 at 12:19 PM, IBatch said:

That’s rich, he’s not Marchand (an extremely hard working guy with skills who worked his butt off to get first line duties) or Kovalev (and extremely skilled guy, like tippity top level skill) who’s lazy play early on frustrated his fan bases.  He’s got some skill yes, but there is nothing in his play that suggests he’s going to break out.   Best guess is he’s going to have one 70 Point year, probably his next contract year at that, don’t want him on our team even if he’s free (traded for nothing) as that cap space could be used better somewhere else.   What in the world gives you the idea that he’s ever going to get 100 points?  I’d eat my phone if he does and post retractions ... and take video of it so  make sure you hold me to it.   Even 80 points is a stretch and a lot of guys managed that this year.

LOL I wasn't serious.  He scored 60+ points as a rookie, I don't think it'd be shocking if he scored 70 or 80 when he hits his prime. 

I don't think he'll ever get close to 100.  I was just giving a ridiculous reply to a ridiculous post.  Because you're not putting up 60 points if you're the laziest player in the league, unless you're one of the most offensively talented players in the league.  

On 4/27/2019 at 12:26 PM, khay said:

Hence, we don't trade for Nylander? Well that was my point anyways. Let's not trade for Nylander.

It's one thing to say let's not trade for a player because he's a bum, and another to say let's not trade for him because it would cost too much.  

On 4/29/2019 at 5:46 AM, King Heffy said:

Wouldn't take that Nylander contract at 50% retained if the Leafs threw in their 1st just to get rid of him.  No reason to waste that kind of cap space on a soft, lazy floater who refuses to put in the necessary effort to become an NHLer.  The guy makes Vrbata look like a workaholic and Greener would throw his useless ass in the pressbox where he belongs.  Bringing in someone that lazy would be a terrible example for our young players; you don't want anyone thinking Nylander's pitiful excuse for effort is acceptable.

These playoffs were his chance to show he cares about winning and he still looked like he needed a tourist visa to cross the blue line.

Although Nylander looks like a more feminine version of Drew Barrymore (and likely has the same taste in men), even I’ll have to admit that Nylander’s play this year may have been hampered by the fact that he started the season so late.   It’s never easy to join a season Mid way through while the players around you are in mid season form.  

I think Nylander will be a very solid 70-80 point player in this league for years to come. 

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

The idea of the Canucks giving their 10th overall to Toronto for Nylander does interest me.  

I think it makes sense for both teams.

First of all every gm in the nhl knows who the leafs need to resign. Roughly how much each player will demand. And how much cap they have available and how much they’ll need to move out to resign or replace said players. On top of that nylander stock is probably at the lowest it will ever be and a lot of Gms will be shying away from a player like nylander at that cap hit and the year he had. Now in saying all of that nylander would cost peanuts to get out of Toronto not the 10 oa. If it was the 10 oa liljegrin would be coming back our way as well. Probably get him for a 2020 2nd round pick maybe not even that expensive just cause of the relief it would give the leafs. And it’s funny everyone talking about him being lazy and useless and a bum. But these are the same people that were screaming for goldy to get more ice time and yes goldy is way cheaper but nylander has proven he can produce. Did nylander have a horrible year? Yes he did. When he first came back he was on the top line and struggled mightily but everyone was in mid season form and he was still in exhibition form. By the time he finally got his legs he was relegated to a 3rd line checking role which he ain’t built for that. Having him play the wing with bo and Pearson 2 great 2 way players that can actually play a little rough I think would be an amazing 2nd line. Then at end of games protecting a lead throw Rousell or Leivo on that line in defensive roles. Just saying nylander would be a steal. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bure1010 said:

First of all every gm in the nhl knows who the leafs need to resign. Roughly how much each player will demand. And how much cap they have available and how much they’ll need to move out to resign or replace said players. On top of that nylander stock is probably at the lowest it will ever be and a lot of Gms will be shying away from a player like nylander at that cap hit and the year he had. Now in saying all of that nylander would cost peanuts to get out of Toronto not the 10 oa. If it was the 10 oa liljegrin would be coming back our way as well. Probably get him for a 2020 2nd round pick maybe not even that expensive just cause of the relief it would give the leafs. And it’s funny everyone talking about him being lazy and useless and a bum. But these are the same people that were screaming for goldy to get more ice time and yes goldy is way cheaper but nylander has proven he can produce. Did nylander have a horrible year? Yes he did. When he first came back he was on the top line and struggled mightily but everyone was in mid season form and he was still in exhibition form. By the time he finally got his legs he was relegated to a 3rd line checking role which he ain’t built for that. Having him play the wing with bo and Pearson 2 great 2 way players that can actually play a little rough I think would be an amazing 2nd line. Then at end of games protecting a lead throw Rousell or Leivo on that line in defensive roles. Just saying nylander would be a steal. 

I agree that Nylander would be a great acquisition, but I think you might be underestimating as to what it would take to acquire him (if I’m understanding your post correctly?).   Leafs won’t give him up easily....even if they are in a rough spot cap wise.   Even though Nylander is coming off a rough year, acquiring him will cost the 10th OA at minimum.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I agree that Nylander would be a great acquisition, but I think you might be underestimating as to what it would take to acquire him (if I’m understanding your post correctly?).   Leafs won’t give him up easily....even if they are in a rough spot cap wise.   Even though Nylander is coming off a rough year, acquiring him will cost the 10th OA at minimum.

William "Double Flamingo Boy" Nylander?  He's not going to cost 10 OA.  These top draft picks are worth a lot more in the Cap era.  Nylander is way over paid for what he provides.  A 10 OA pick will provide (likely) more than Nylander, and be on an ELC contract.  

I've actually liked Nylander's game over that last 20 games.  I would trade for him, but not for any picks.  Leafs need a shut down center (Sutter).  I'd go Sutter plus a B prospect (Gadjovic) for Wee Willie.  No mas. 

13 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Price won’t be that high or run the risk of losing Kapanen Johnson and more importantly Marner to offer sheets and not to mention not replacing Gardiner or hainsey

Yeah......I’m not so sure.

I agree with you guys that Nylander’s value might be a bit low right now, but we’d definitely have to part ways with 10th OA if we’re targeting Nylander.   

Under a full season and training camp under his (her?) belt, Nylander easily nets you 20+ goals.   Our RW would be absolutely solidified with this ladyboy in our line-up.

Baertschi-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Nylander

Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen 

Eriksson-Beagle-Gaudette

Those are two pretty good scoring lines.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl