The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Free agency or Trade???

Rate this topic

KyGuy123

On 4/28/2019 at 11:27 AM, Wanless said:

Pearson says hi

I believe that now both lines need that that winger who will create a bit of space through heavy play and has the ability to keep up with the play

sounds like the problem we had with  a certain pair of swedes.. nothing new, the closest we had to it was anson carter... 

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Can't crack top 6? You realize he was 4th on the team in goals, right? And I notice you didn't answer my question: if 15 goals in 70 games is a bust (from a player who you acknowledge is not getting top 6 ice time or linemates), how many would he need to score to not be a bust?

lol that's not saying much if you are 4th on the team in goals with 15 lol.. and with 4 empty net goals too... asking for 20-25 goals from a supposively top 6 power forward is not asking too much.. take away empty net goals.. he hasnt really made any improvement production wise. he shown flashes here and there.. just like many others before him.. have the skill.. refuse to use it every night.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Something like Nylander for Hutton and Goldy works for me. 

Something like Nylander + to Nashville for PK seems far more likely IMO.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Something like Nylander + to Nashville for PK seems far more likely IMO.

I don’t think there is any way the money works in that deal.  Neither side has room to take on cash and Toronto needs to dump a lot.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t think there is any way the money works in that deal.  Neither side has room to take on cash and Toronto needs to dump a lot.

Their caps largely cancel eachother out (for pieces each team needs) and TOR is already going to be dumping Gardiner.

The Preds need to dump Turris.

Edited by aGENT

On 4/30/2019 at 7:19 PM, aGENT said:

Their caps largely cancel eachother out (for pieces each team needs) and TOR is already going to be dumping Gardiner.

The Preds need to dump Turris.

When they made the original trade, I am not sure why they didn’t keep Duchene instead. I forgot who the 3rd team and piece involved was but I always thought Duchene would have been a much better 2c for Johansen and would have used perfect outlet passes from Josi and pk and co much better than Turris. 

I guess we we will never know because Nashville wanted Turris instead for some reason. Go figure.

Edited by Tomatoes11
  • Cheers 1

On 5/1/2019 at 4:27 AM, Tomatoes11 said:

When they made the original trade, I am not sure why they didn’t keep Duchene instead. I forgot who the 3rd team and piece involved was but I always though Duchene would have been a much better 2c for Johansen and would have used perfect outlet passes from Josi and ok and co much better than Turris. 

I guess we we will never know because Nashville wanted Turris instead for some reason. Go figure.

Duchene was Nashville's 1st choice.  Poile had tried for ages to acquire him but Colorado wanted one of their top-4 Ds and Poile wasn't willing to trade a D after trading Jones.

Two teams had to be involved because the asking price from Colorado was so high.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

I do have a question for the posters on here.

Just how “close” are the Canucks exactly?  “Close to what?” you may ask?  I myself am not quite sure what my version of ‘close’ entails, but I do know this:

1) Winning teams aren’t  built *exclusively* through the draft.

2) If these playoffs have proven anything, it’s that any low seeded team can get hot and absolutely bludgeon a top seed.  Parity in the NHL is sky high right now.   Get into the playoffs, and anything can happen.......which leads me to my next point.

3) I think time has proven that a team needs the following ingredients:

A) Two extremely good centers (one of which is a franchise center).

B-) A good first line winger

C) Atleast one franchise defenseman

D) A cap friendly “very good” goalie that has the ability to get hot during the playoffs.

E) Depth

.......which leads me to point #4

4) Where do the Canucks stack up with the above criteria?

A) Pettersson + Horvat

B-) Boeser

C) Hughes (possibly)

D) Markstrom

While many people may argue that we need more top end talent, I would argue that perhaps it’s more depth that we need.  

Invest in depth!!! Depth is king!!! ......which leads me to point #5.

5) Many people will disagree with this, but I honestly think that the Canucks should *highly* consider packaging their 10th overall along with Eriksson, Sutter, and Schaller to a team like Ottawa (who needs to hit the cap floor), while the Canucks receive minimal in return......all in the name of shedding massive cap space.........which then leads me to point #6.

6). With the freed up cap space, go HARD after UFA’s that are willing to sign cap friendly deals to be a part of a winner.  

Build a team of depth while letting guys like Pettersson and Hughes continuing to get better and be true “alpha’s” in this league.

Shedding circa 12 million in salary would not only allow us to bring in more depth to the Canucks (which would help us be competitive now) but would still allow us to comfortably re-up our RFA core over the coming years without having cap complications.

37 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I do have a question for the posters on here.

Just how “close” are the Canucks exactly?  “Close to what?” you may ask?  I myself am not quite sure what my version of ‘close’ entails, but I do know this:

1) Winning teams aren’t  built *exclusively* through the draft.

2) If these playoffs have proven anything, it’s that any low seeded team can get hot and absolutely bludgeon a top seed.  Parity in the NHL is sky high right now.   Get into the playoffs, and anything can happen.......which leads me to my next point.

3) I think time has proven that a team needs the following ingredients:

A) Two extremely good centers (one of which is a franchise center).

B-) A good first line winger

C) Atleast one franchise defenseman

D) A cap friendly “very good” goalie that has the ability to get hot during the playoffs.

E) Depth

.......which leads me to point #4

4) Where do the Canucks stack up with the above criteria?

A) Pettersson + Horvat

B-) Boeser

C) Hughes (possibly)

D) Markstrom

While many people may argue that we need more top end talent, I would argue that perhaps it’s more depth that we need.  

Invest in depth!!! Depth is king!!! ......which leads me to point #5.

5) Many people will disagree with this, but I honestly think that the Canucks should *highly* consider packaging their 10th overall along with Eriksson, Sutter, and Schaller to a team like Ottawa (who needs to hit the cap floor), while the Canucks receive minimal in return......all in the name of shedding massive cap space.........which then leads me to point #6.

6). With the freed up cap space, go HARD after UFA’s that are willing to sign cap friendly deals to be a part of a winner.  

Build a team of depth while letting guys like Pettersson and Hughes continuing to get better and be true “alpha’s” in this league.

Shedding circa 12 million in salary would not only allow us to bring in more depth to the Canucks (which would help us be competitive now) but would still allow us to comfortably re-up our RFA core over the coming years without having cap complications.

We already have over $30m in cap heading in to the off season (granted we need to use some of that to re-sign Edler, Boeser and some smaller parts) and plenty of space to add key UFA's should we choose to.

Beyond that, Spooner and Schaller are both off the books at the end of next season anyway... That's $5m of space right there. Why the $%#@ would we pay to get rid of Schaller (half of his salary could also be buried in Utica). Tanev's also likely gone next summer as well (another $4.45m).

The year after that (if some haven't already been moved) Sutter, Baer and Pearson all come off (another $11.5m).

The year after that (again, assuming they haven't been moved) Eriksson, Beagle and Roussel come off opening up a further $12m (plus that's the last year of Luongo's retention for another $800K).

Cap is far and away about the last thing we need to be concerned about as a team and in no way, shape or form should we be paying to open up more of it. Particularly our 10th freaking OA.

• Upvote 3

Free agency only have few impact players.  Most of other player are either aging former star players or garbage from other teams.   Most of the time you will find good mentors like Beagle and Sutter though.    Drafting is slow , at least you can hit a jackpot sometimes.   My point on free agency,  you either go for big fish or don't make any moves at all.    Offering 3rd liner 4th liner money on July the 1st is stuidity.   It is like walking into a mall offering 100$ to somebody to park a car for you.  3rd liners,2nd paring defenseman are dime a dozen in NHL.  

I want to get only one free agent this offseason with the soul purpose of trading at the TDL next season. It doesn’t matter if Canucks are in the playoff race. The UFA was aquired to trade.

Regardless the Canucks will make the playoffs without that UFA imo.

i know that’s not morally correct to do, but if the Canucks did it once every few seasons it would help too fill the asset pool, weather it’s picks or prospects for that UFA who signs in the summer.

Edited by HockeyHarry

Shrewd free agent signings, trades, drafting, development and contract negotiations.

There are at least 3 posters on this board that feel they are better at these tasks than current management. Why don’t we convince Franny to hire them to run the team by committee. Cup in 3 years or less = done deal.

• Haha 3

With Edler and Tanev, there almost certainly will be. Stir in the uncertainty over Juolevi and you can understand why Benning is determined to add a 20-minute-a-night defenceman in free agency or trade.

“Maybe we have to look at the trade market to acquire someone like that,” Benning said. “I’m not just looking at free agency, I want to keep the trade avenue open, too. I’ve started talking to other teams now, and as we get closer to the draft we’ll see what the marketplace looks like and what we can get figured out.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-looking-bolster-blue-line-edler-juolevi-questions-remain/

I get the sense Jimbo's been interested in Risto for a while, and they likely had talks around the time the Sabres moved O'Reilly.  Last season, compared to the Canucks' roster he would have been:

- 1st in average TOI

- 1st in hits

- 4th in points (1st for D)

- tied for 2nd in PP points

- 3rd in SOG

- and of course, #1 in negative +/-

Not sure what his trade value is now, nor what Sabres would want for him, but he could be a prime candidate for flourishing after a change of scenery.  Consistent 40-point player but the Sabres are likely looking to make changes.  Could grease the skids or at least help prepare for Tanev's departure, whether by TDL or otherwise.

Edited by Hutton Wink
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I get the sense Jimbo's been interested in Risto for a while, and they likely had talks around the time the Sabres moved O'Reilly.  Last season, compared to the Canucks' roster he would have been:

- 1st in average TOI

- 1st in hits

- 4th in points (1st for D)

- tied for 2nd in PP points

- 3rd in SOG

- and of course, #1 in negative +/-

Not sure what his trade value is now, nor what Sabres would want for him, but he could be a prime candidate for flourishing after a change of scenery.  Consistent 40-point player but the Sabres are likely looking to make changes.  Could grease the skids or at least help prepare for Tanev's departure, whether by TDL or otherwise.

Great minds think alike ;)

25 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Risto would be a huge add.  

Any true top pairing RHD sets the table for us.

The real question is, what would it cost...? 

I'd REALLY like to keep our 1st.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1