The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What If NJ Pursued our Hughes?

Obtaining the 1st OA is too costly, where NJ likely demands EP part of the equation. Big no thanks from this corner.

Conversely, I've imagined NJ calling JB, trying to pair the bros to build with. We've never had a young D-skating talent like this, so obviously JB will hang on to this asset with a firm grip. I'm curious (on value) & where the threshold lies for our fanbase?

I've heard their young D(Ty Smith, 1st rounder, last June) is a good player. What if the Devils offered Smith, their 2020 1st(unprotected) AND took poor contracts Eriksson(or, if he doesn't waive?)..maybe Spooner & Sutter?

Posters will get angry, accusing me of trying to trade their fav new toy. Well, I'm not.

Haven't seen Ty Smith play, so no idea how good he is.

Mainly have two questions:

1- What does an over-the-top offer look like, coming from NJ?(that is somewhat believable, within realm of possibility)

2- Because QH is an asset we've never really had, should JB simply refuse to talk about it?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If the offer of Smith (W.H.L. offensive D-man, 1st round pick COMPARABLE was Shane Gostisbhere), 

Plus they took Eriksson and gave a 2020 1st (I believe they'll still be meh even with Quinn, my $0.02, so it could be an early pick) I think we make off with the return.  Defenders from the W are pretty good, seems like in recent memory they're pretty comparable with the caliber of USHL so if it comes with the chance for another premium asset in another 1st I'd say yes IF our scouts agree with it.  They've done a decent job in trades and I'd trust them if they would pull it off.   

• Upvote 2

Well since this is a hypothetical thread.

Price starts at Ty Smith, Michael McLeod, and 2 more first rounders, both lottery unprotected.

And I wouldn't even take that deal. That's just starting price.

Edited by Baer.
  • Upvote 4

I'd do Hughes for Hischier straight up.  I think QH is going to be crazy good for us, so I don't think I'd do the Ty Smith/2020 1st for QH/LE as it has no guarantees that we are getting a quality NHLer back.  Very good proposal though OP, value is there for both sides.

We've needed a player like Hughes for ages, fans have been wanting a D like him since Ehrhoff left. He's looked good in a small sample size and we desperately need that kind of dynamic play from the back end. 

Unless NJ is seriously willing to overpay he should be off the table. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I'd do Hughes for Hischier straight up.  I think QH is going to be crazy good for us, so I don't think I'd do the Ty Smith/2020 1st for QH/LE as it has no guarantees that we are getting a quality NHLer back.  Very good proposal though OP, value is there for both sides.

I would not, don't think a center for us should be the top priority when this team is set up the middle for years with Bo and Pete (same draft year but already better than Nico, plus NJ wouldn't take that since there's no options for their #1 C without him -- left with Zajac, who's not cut out to be a #1, and Zacha, a big versatile center who might not have top-line upside).  I'd be down for Ty Smith, Miles Wood (young, rugged left winger with speed signed for cheap -- he can become Pete's bruising winger) and the 2020 first.  

So, proposing
Quinn
Louie 

Goldobin (1 for 1 w/ Zacha, both RFA's and could use fresh starts; power winger for 3rd line for Pavel, Russian who could flourish there)

for
Ty Smith
Miles Wood (again, rugged top-6 winger with speed who's cost controlled)
2020 1st
Zacha (RFA, looking for minutes but buried in their 3rd line and could sink more whether they take Hughes or Kakko)

Honestly milking it for much more doesn't seem realistic esp. if they eat some salary for Louie too.    

Edited by Phil_314
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

their 2020 1st(unprotected)

With a healthy Taylor Hall & their goal tending not in injury shambles, they were a play off team last year. Ergo their 1st was artificially low this year.

Not sure we should expect it to be a top 10 pick next year. The only allure to me would be a more sure top end pick. And I also don't have any urgency to pay someone to take Eriksson's contract. A waste of money, but we're not at the cap.

Smith = very good. Possibly / probably feistier defensively. And fast. But almost all are a step behind Hughes (Quinn), and less likely to be as dynamic.

I'm not giving up the most dynamic D prospect we have had in, what, 40 years?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I would not, don't think a center for us should be the top priority when this team is set up the middle for years with Bo and Pete (same draft year but already better than Nico, plus NJ wouldn't take that since there's no options for their #1 C without him -- left with Zajac, who's not cut out to be a #1, and Zacha, a big versatile center who might not have top-line upside).  I'd be down for Ty Smith, Zacha (only 22 and R.F.A, so after he's signed and hopefully cheap -- he can become Pete's bruising winger) and the 2020 first.

Honestly milking it for much more doesn't seem realistic esp. if they eat some salary too.    

Fair enough.  I'm of the mindset that you cannot have too many centres, as you can just put them on the wing if needed.  Devils do have Jack Hughes coming in, who I'm assuming they hope to be the #1C long term, but I get what you are saying.

End of the day I'd rather just keep QH, I think he is going to be a star for us.

• Upvote 2

If I were Benning I would start by asking Ray Shero for Jack Hughes.

no-deal-stamp-text-inside-illustration-108503171.jpg.9fc62f67323de0532a3ca943b783b391.jpgB)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

Well since this is a hypothetical thread.

Price starts at Ty Smith, Michael McLeod, and 2 more first rounders, both lottery unprotected.

And I wouldn't even take that deal. That's just starting price.

Ditto. It'd take a fortune to move Hughes.