The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Canucks trade targets, candidates and Goldobin considering signing in the KHL.

The Canucks and Jake have mishandled his growth no doubt......and maturity has been an issue.  However, he's just starting to enter (and maybe even a year or two shy of) the years where a young power forward starts to peak.  If the Canucks trade him, I wouldn't be surprised if he went on a tear in the next few years.  They should keep him.  They should give him consistent top 2 line time and PP time for a year with the message that this is his time to mature into a professional and start earning the big bucks.  He has the tools....just needs the smarts and the confidence.  We'd be a much better team with him reaching his potential.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

The Canucks and Jake have mishandled his growth no doubt......and maturity has been an issue.  However, he's just starting to enter (and maybe even a year or two shy of) the years where a young power forward starts to peak.  If the Canucks trade him, I wouldn't be surprised if he went on a tear in the next few years.  They should keep him.  They should give him consistent top 2 line time and PP time for a year with the message that this is his time to mature into a professional and start earning the big bucks.  He has the tools....just needs the smarts and the confidence.  We'd be a much better team with him reaching his potential.

Jake has such a rare combination of tools that I'd be very bummed if he were traded. Furthermore he is a great player for his cap hit. 

Zucker has definitely been a Canuck-killer recently, so we've probably seen him at his best.  I wonder what the issues with him were this year that he became available?  If Minny doesn't want a forward, would Hutton interest them?  Who would have to add in a deal with those as the two main pieces?

3 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

Why, Because he managed to fix his own f up. 

So he can hand out more horrendous contracts. 

One more season and one of the franchise worst gms (records prove it) can back his Shyte. 

The only reason he still has job is because nobody wants to work for the owners we have. 

A dummer if bad trades and terrible contracts as Jim tried make his team a first round 4 game wildcard contender like he’s done since he got here and has failed. 

Eriksson cost nothing but cap space. Picking up a 30 goal scorer in free agency was not going to be cheap. And looked like a good fit with the Twins. 

Sutter was at the cost of Bonino, a 2nd round pick (Which looks like a bust for Pittsburgh), and Clendenning. 

Sutter prior to coming to Vancouver looked like a durable, 3rd line centre with 2nd line upside. 

Easy to say in hindsight these were bad moves. 

And yes fixing up his own moves, means he learns from his mistakes. Unlike Chia who kept making dumb move, after dumb move. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I would argue Jake is actually ahead in his development compared to say Brett Connolly. As long as Jake learns, and keeps improving. Jake is only 22. 

Connolly got 22 goals and 46 points at age 26. 

Not all NHL'ers learn at the same rate. And by the way Jake scored the same number of goals as Zack Kassian this year. And only 1 less assist. And Kassian is age 28.

And Jake didn't get the benefit of playing much with EP40 either. 

3 hours ago, Tracksuit said:

Why, Because he managed to fix his own f up. 

So he can hand out more horrendous contracts. 

One more season and one of the franchise worst gms (records prove it) can back his Shyte. 

The only reason he still has job is because nobody wants to work for the owners we have. 

A dummer if bad trades and terrible contracts as Jim tried make his team a first round 4 game wildcard contender like he’s done since he got here and has failed. 

Don't underestimate Benning. it would be dum (b).

• Upvote 1

Would definitely not give up on Virtanen yet.

Power forwards take longer to develop than most positions and I'm old enough to remember the Canucks giving up on Cam Neely. For those that aren't, maybe think about how the Isles gave up on Todd Bertuzzi....

Add to that the fact that Virt is the fastest player on the team, and no, I wouldn't move him for Zucker.

Zucker's contract, 4yrs @5m and a (M)NTC could become a problem unless he becomes the best the team can do for a top 6 LW.  He just might though, if you consider the lack of C depth on the Wild this year.  With play-making Granlund saucer passing to him last year, he managed 33 goals, which was the highest on the team (Parise was injured for half the season).  He's definitely got great hands for scoring goals.   Pettersson would likely make him a star.  I don't know why Minny lets him go for cheap.

The player I would love to see alongside Pete is Tyler Bertuzzi.  The Wings are loaded with an incredible crop of LWs, including  some promising prospects developing nicely.  Tyler is only 24yrs old and will become an RFA after next season.  His character and the way he plays seems like the kind of player management are looking for. He's like a high end Motte.  Fearless, plays hard, buzz bomb agitator with top 6 skill.

Detroit is very week in both R/L D; especially LD with Kromwall becoming a UFA.  Perhaps Hutton or Tanev and a 2nd?  Always scary dealing with Stevie Y, he's no fool and I suspect he really likes Bertuzzi. Me thinks Stevie would want 2020 1st though.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Goldobin is probably not going to be an NHLer, unfortunately our brass seems unwilling to move on from guys that aren't working out "just in case".

He would probably be a really good KHL player.

I think it's more a case of that there's no reason to move on as of yet. We haven't got anybody else pushing from the prospect pool yet. Granted things could change should we sign a top 6 winger this summer and Goldobin may decide to head to the K regardless.

But I have little doubt they'd waive him in heart beat this fall should be fail to earn a spot (which is likely IMO) and he's still here.

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think it's more a case of that there's no reason to move on as of yet. We haven't got anybody else pushing from the prospect pool yet. Granted things could change should we sign a top 6 winger this summer and Goldobin may decide to head to the K regardless.

But I have little doubt they'd waive him in heart beat this fall should be fail to earn a spot (which is likely IMO) and he's still here.

Good point, I am going on the assumption that we upgrade our top

6 in the offseason.

It can also be argued that he has probably already been pushed out by Pearson and therefore is at best a 13th forward who can slot into the top two lines in the event of an injury.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Zucker has definitely been a Canuck-killer recently, so we've probably seen him at his best.  I wonder what the issues with him were this year that he became available?  If Minny doesn't want a forward, would Hutton interest them?  Who would have to add in a deal with those as the two main pieces?

Seems unlikely.  They already have Suter and Brodin on the left and Suter plays close to half the game.  It leaves about 10-12min for their 3rd pairing LHD.  Hutton's qualifying offer is already 3.2M (actually 2.4M)  and he has arbitration rights where he can argue his high minutes to increase the award.  

Probably a combination of playoff performance and Fenton wanting to play a system more in line with where he believes the game is trending.

Zucker has 3 points in 16 playoffs games over the past 3 seasons.  

Before this year the Wild were one of only 3 teams that had made the playoffs in the past 6 seasons.  They've mostly kept the same core and have not been able to take the next step with them never going past the 2nd round.  Fletcher had Granlund, Niederreiter, Coyle and Zucker as new core up front - first 3 are gone and it leaves Zucker.  Coyle and Niederreiter have rebounded so the same could happen with Zucker.  

By mid-February Minnesota was 3rd in dump-in rates after NYI and Vancouver (data from Mike Kelly of NHL Network).  Fenton wants to play a possession game and brought in Fiala who refuses to dump the puck and it has created confusion for the other Fs who don't really know what to do when they gain the zone without a dump in.  

With the Canucks dumping the puck in even more than Minnesota, Zucker should fit the Canucks' system.  His personal situation could affect his play as he would be separated from his wife and kids.  His wife is a sports' broadcaster and has explained that they wouldn't be able to follow him because she shares custody of her 1st daughter.  He has a one or two year old son and a new born daughter.    

Also, with Green's comment about how Baertschi brings skills and the ability to make plays under duress, I am not sure he wants the team to continue to play dump & chase as they add skills to the lineup.  He was answering a question about what Baertschi brings and explained that with the team they talk of intensity and hard work but that you also have to be able to make plays especially at this time of the year.  

Fwiw in Utica playing for Green, Baertschi was asked about the difference with the Flames system vs Comets and answered that it felt like in Utica they had the puck 70% of the time and always found a way to enter the zone with possession while in the Calgary system it was dump and chase under Hartley.

Edited by mll
wrong QO info
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, mll said:

Seems unlikely.  They already have Suter and Brodin on the left and Suter plays close to half the game.  It leaves about 10-12min for their 3rd pairing LHD.  Hutton's qualifying offer is already 3.2M and he has arbitration rights where he can argue his high minutes to increase the award.

The Wilds top 4 is awesome. Suter, Dumba, Brodin & Spurgeon.

Minny's 5/6/7 D men were not great. And not capable of jumping into the top 4 when, for example, Dumba was hurt. 

Hutton as their 3rd LHD is not so crazy. He jumped into our top 4 whem required better than Minny's depth guys. Enough to command Zucker? Probably not. Or even the correct direction if their goal is true prospect value for retooling. But the idea is not completely vacant.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The Wilds top 4 is awesome. Suter, Dumba, Brodin & Spurgeon.

Minny's 5/6/7 D men were not great. And not capable of jumping into the top 4 when, for example, Dumba was hurt. 

Hutton as their 3rd LHD is not so crazy. He jumped into our top 4 whem required better than Minny's depth guys. Enough to command Zucker? Probably not. Or even the correct direction if their goal is true prospect value for retooling. But the idea is not completely vacant.

One of the most underrated D-corps. 

I am not sure Fenton wants to invest that kind of money in a 3rd pairing D.  He is already regretting signing Pateryn and tried to trade him.  Hutton's ice time due to injuries could inflate his next contract and that might not really reflect his real abilities. 

The question now is what is going to happen with Spurgeon.  He's a free agent in a year.  They are going to try and extend him this summer.  He's a legit 1st pairing D and if he goes to the market in a year there should be quite a bit of interest.  

If they can't sign him they would need to replace him.  I think they want the cap space for either his extension or his replacement in free agency.  Hutton is just too expensive for the role he would have on their team.

Minnesota is not rebuilding and owner Leopold has already stated that he fully expects them to make the playoffs next year.

Edited by mll