The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Canucks trade targets, candidates and Goldobin considering signing in the KHL.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Folks should probably stop calling Virtanen a power forward.

Therr has been little about his NHL game that suggests that is his style of play.  He just doesn’t seem to have the mindset for it.

The coaches have been telling him for years to just drive to try net when he has the puck.  Instead he plays on the perimeter and circles behind the net.

Power forwards generally have the power part early  and then the offence develops.  

yet he was still on a 20ish goal pace over 82 games, without being put in offensive situations.  Put him with Petey and see what happens

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

yet he was still on a 20ish goal pace over 82 games, without being put in offensive situations.  Put him with Petey and see what happens

Green had Jake play some left wing with Petey and Bo the last couple games of this season.  I expect Jake got a taste (smart move by Green) and will work his tale of this summer to be the best prepared he can be to take that spot.  Jake is not like Bo, or Brock, or Petey.  Those guys are internally motivated to be their best.  Jake seems to need a carrot or a wake up to accept he needs to work harder off the ice to  better on the ice.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

They did, and Peteys stats took a nose dive, I believe TSN pointed out the best linemates for EP points, and JV wasn't one of them or even close.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

he scored 15 goals in a shortened season, playing 3rd line mins with a lot of dzone starts.  In a healthy season, he's right around 20 goals, without getting offensively slanted mins.  What more do you expect from him?

Eh, he had more TOI than Goldobin, played more gamed and scored less points.

I expect him to be a 6OA player

• Upvote 1

The Goldobin situation reminds me of the Grabner situation. Grabner was alright as he played 20 games accumulating 11pts. But in the rich Canucks’ Sedin Era, he was looked at as expendable. He went on to score 244 pts more and is still playing, though his best years may be behind him. However, Grabner’s numbers are all over the place.

Then there’s the Russian factor. As Vancouver is a Swedish-friendly team, it has a history of being not so friendly with Russians.

Perhaps a Goldobin trade to a Russian-friendly team would be better for all parties involved; Detroit, Pittsburgh and Washington have a long and stable history with Russian players.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:15 AM, NHL97OneTimer said:

The Canucks and Jake have mishandled his growth no doubt.

I think it is fair to say the Canucks may have mishandled Jake 4 years ago. 

But his 2knd year he was sent back to Utica & to get in shape, improve his habits.

At the end of the day he has the athletic tools, is effective defensively, steals pucks, scores on a share breakaways. I suspect he will score more as we transition to an up tempo team? FTM effective as a 3rd liner, can sub top 6. Which is fine. Not great for a 5th or 5th overall pick, but fine.

What he lacks is puck skills. He can trade passes in open ice, has a nice shot. But cannot trade passes or protect the puck under pressure. No dangle, or finesse in his stickwork. People say he is low IQ? I disagree. But do believe he just does not have top line puck skills. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Folks should probably stop calling Virtanen a power forward.

Therr has been little about his NHL game that suggests that is his style of play.  He just doesn’t seem to have the mindset for it.

The coaches have been telling him for years to just drive to try net when he has the puck.  Instead he plays on the perimeter and circles behind the net.

Power forwards generally have the power part early  and then the offence develops.  

Bertuzzi refers to him as such....good enough for me.  A guy who exemplifies what power forward is/was.

He needs to drive the net more but, when he does, he's been fairly effective.   He's no pushover and he's still maturing...I feel like we'd be letting go of something we well need in Jake.  His speed is also a huge asset.

• Upvote 2

On 4/27/2019 at 10:01 PM, Trebreh said:

if JB could ship out Eriksson AND Sutter this summer, give him an extension on the spot!

Not too sure why we should rush to give JB credit for moving those two guys...he was the person who signed them to their current contracts....

5 hours ago, stawns said:

We did. And he sucked. The games he played with Petey, he took low percentage shots instinctively rather than pass to a wide open Petey. To play with Petey, you gotta have good hockey IQ or a rocket of a shot. He has neither. 

4 hours ago, shad0w4life said:

They did, and Peteys stats took a nose dive, I believe TSN pointed out the best linemates for EP points, and JV wasn't one of them or even close.

I actually thought that was the most effective, over 200ft, Petey's line was all season.  Jake added an element of speed and heavy play that Petey was missing all season.  Had TG left them together longer than a cpl games, the points would've come, imo.