The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Canucks trade targets, candidates and Goldobin considering signing in the KHL.

1 hour ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Stop putting virtanen on a random invisible trade block hes not going anywhere u wanna put people in the seats u dont trade a developing fan favourite 

You know what fans like? Winning. JV is is one of our only decent trade chips. If trading him makes our team better, I'm ok with that. 

• Cheers 1

Wennberg would be a solid pick-up for the Canucks. He's only 24, and he has really struggled in Torts' system. I think a change in scenery would do him good, especially since he's only a couple of years removed from a 59 point season.

I would do Wennberg for Sutter in a heartbeat, but the question is whether or not Columbus makes that deal.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

should be job 1, and probably is. We need a defensive group where Luke Schenn isn't the one of the most exciting things. I like what he did but we need to aim a lot higher. 

Like the saying goes, we need our best players to be the best players, not number 7 defensemen underdog stories. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

You know what fans like? Winning. JV is is one of our only decent trade chips. If trading him makes our team better, I'm ok with that. 

Actually fans like winning and seeing players develop so you have a deep team. Not everyone is trade and asset management mad. 

It's not "trade at any cost". 

12 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

So because he has value to another NHL team, we should move him? :blink: 

How about we just let him continue to have value for us instead?

I mean by all means if moving him actually improves the team by bringing in say a young top 4 RD, you certainly look in to it but I'm not moving him simply because he has value.

We have other pieces to move (Sutter, Tanev, Hutton etc). They may not equate to some huge block buster trade but I'm perfectly fine with continuing incremental improvements while we also continue to draft and develop.

There's no short cuts.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, rekker said:

Going to be a very interesting off season. There are a pile of UFA'S that fit our needs. Also a bunch of teams wanting to make changes that could become great trade partners. 

Ideally, maybe we sign a guy like Meyers, and trade Tanev for a pick?  

On 4/29/2019 at 11:43 AM, Canuck Surfer said:

You are very sharp on rationale usually. I disagree here.

They are spending less than $3.5 Mill on their 5/6/7 & 8 D,  Patteryn, Seeler, Hunt & Bittetto. Even with Patteryn's salary. We used to spend more than that on Keith Ballard. 6 years ago. So did Minny for that matter. Tampa spends double that, even with Sergachev ''on their bottom pair'' and with his ELC salary. Which he's not really. 

The problem is, as good as their top 4 is, their bottom 4 sucks. SUCKS! And is seriously underinvested as the key reason. What will Hutton command? $3.8 mill? $3.2?? People complained about what we paid Gudbrandson, Sbisa, hell Weber, Bartkowski. And when guys in Minny's top 4 were injured, their team fell apart. They have to pay what you have to pay.

They can and should sell a forward for mid level defensive help.  A 5D who can play top 4 in a pinch! Its their achilles heel.

Suter, Spurgeon and Brodin played all 82 games and they didn't have someone that could fill in for Dumba.  Pateryn is not that D and probably why Fenton is already trying to trade him.

Bartkowski got 2 games and a goal but was sent back to Iowa. Weber (650K) and Hamhuis (1.25M) have that role in Nashville. Nashville went a long stretch without Subban with Weber, Hamhuis, Irwin needing to fill in.  Subban's injury also overlapped the ones of Forsberg/Arvidsson.  Sbisa has been a healthy scratch all season save for 9 games.  CBJ has Adam Clendening in the playoffs with injuries to Murray, Nutivaara and McQuaid.  

A small improvement would already go a long way and that's not a 3-4M D that will play only 12-13min when everyone is healthy.  Fenton added Brad Hunt at the deadline and he was already an upgrade but he counterbalanced it by claiming Bitetto off waivers, who had the opposite effect.

Missing Dumba was not the only reason their season fell apart.  The Wild also don't just want to make the playoffs.  They have far more issues than their 3rd pairing D to fix if they expect to bring a Cup to Minnesota.  Who knows if the team can even play how Fenton now wants them to play.  

To go back to Zucker - I think they are trying to trade him to clear cap space to be active in free agency or go after players on teams too close to the cap.  They need proven goal scorers.  

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Going to be a very interesting off season. There are a pile of UFA'S that fit our needs. Also a bunch of teams wanting to make changes that could become great trade partners. 

Yeah the secondary (ie: not Panarin) top 6 forward market especially is loaded. Hopefully that competition helps keep prices and term down a bit and we can maybe focus on the lesser known guys in that secondary market for even more reasonable deals and term. Let other teams sign Duchene, Nyquist, Skinner, Eberle etc and focus on guys like Dzingel, Hayes, Nelson, Lee, Connolly, Ferland etc

But yes, I'm VERY excited to see what Benning and Co do this summer. It has the capacity to be a huge summer for him to really put his stamp on the team with some trades and signings (and another solid draft). I'm assuming we'll still have plenty to discuss during the dog days of summer ::D

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ideally, maybe we sign a guy like Meyers, and trade Tanev for a pick?  

Absolutely. Plus players like Panarin and Duchene out there. Second tier players like Dzingel. Add some new blood on D and forward. Try to drop Sutter, LE, Tanev, the latter if a new quality right D is signed. This team could look quite different this fall.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

Absolutely. Plus players like Panarin and Duchene out there. Second tier players like Dzingel. Add some new blood on D and forward. Try to drop Sutter, LE, Tanev, the latter if a new quality right D is signed. This team could look quite different this fall.

Panarin/Myers is what I'm hoping for. I know it'll cost a lot though. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah the secondary (ie: not Panarin) top 6 forward market especially is loaded. Hopefully that competition helps keep prices and term down a bit and we can maybe focus on the lesser known guys in that secondary market for even more reasonable deals and term. Let other teams sign Duchene, Nyquist, Skinner, Eberle etc and focus on guys like Dzingel, Hayes, Nelson, Lee, Connolly, Ferland etc

But yes, I'm VERY excited to see what Benning and Co do this summer. It has the capacity to be a huge summer for him to really put his stamp on the team with some trades and signings (and another solid draft). I'm assuming we'll still have plenty to discuss during the dog days of summer ::D

The primary market is also loaded. Expensive? But loaded.

Panarin  on the right team could be one of the most influential free agents in many years. Lee, for example, might get 60 points? Not bad at all. Panarin 80 I suggest.

Its not just the extra 20 points, which is, what, 4 wins? Its the speed and pace, agility, the dynamics off attack he can add to your team.The ability to ignite a whole playing style, perhaps not otherwise achievable. Pettersson and Hughes would just feed off that!

Even Tavares, who can get 90 points, could not have added add that pace. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

Panarin/Myers is what I'm hoping for. I know it'll cost a lot though. 

Don't think either is likely IMO. Panarin/Karlsson are pipe dreams IMO. And I'd FAR rather we try to get Tryamkin back this fall (or next spring after his next season is over if fall's not an option given his KHL contract) than tie up 7 years x $7m +/- on Myers.

I really think the high quality, secondary forward market is where we'll focus ( Dzingel, Hayes, Nelson, Lee, Connolly, Ferland etc) and hopefully a short term guy like Stralman  (if no Tryamkin) on D allowing us to move Tanev this summer or towards TDL. Couple that with some solid trades to add a younger, 2nd pair right D this summer (or during the season) and moving out some of our redundant depth for picks/prospects etc.

Keep drafting and developing well and keep moving forward with steady progress.

UFA, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer, Horvat, Pearson

Leivo, Gaudette, Virtanen

Granlund, Beagle, Motte

*Roussel on IR - One of Eriksson/Schaller/Spooner as 13th (the others waived/traded) 

Edler, Stecher/trade

Hutton, Stecher/trade

Hughes, Tanev/Stralman(UFA)/Tryamkin

After OJ gets back up to speed for a couple months in Utica (and Hughes has a couple months to get comfortable), look to move Hutton (perhaps for that right D if not already acquired in the summer) and recall OJ.

Eventually we move on from Baer in a year or two and replace him (or ideally the UFA above him if they develop well, in to a 1st liner). If Hutton moves this summer, look to sign a short term depth vet like Methot, Gunnarsson etc to provide depth/competition/veteran support on the left side and possibly flip at the TDL.

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

The primary market is also loaded. Expensive? But loaded.

Panarin  on the right team could be one of the most influential free agents in many years. Lee, for example, might get 60 points? Not bad at all. Panarin 80 I suggest.

Its not just the extra 20 points, which is, what, 4 wins? Its the speed and pace, agility, the dynamics off attack he can add to your team.The ability to ignite a whole playing style, perhaps not otherwise achievable. Pettersson and Hughes would just feed off that!

Even Tavares, who can get 90 points, could not have added add that pace. 

Oh, I'm well aware of what Panarin brings but I just don't think he'll have any real interest in signing here. Pipe dream.

There's also some debate on whether it's too soon to be adding that caliber of player in Van's rebuild. We don't want to 'Tavares' ourselves and blow our wad on the shiny (EXTREMELY talented) Russian when we haven't the depth around him to make real use of him yet. You're best either drafting those guys yourself (ideally) or signing a select few of them as the cherry on top of an already complete and decked out sundae IMO. We're not quite there yet (though it is approaching). Slow and steady...

And again, that's assuming he's have any interest in signing here in the first place. It's nice to dream (who doesn't like exciting, top/super-star players?!) but it's not particularly pragmatic/realistic IMO.

Edited by aGENT

17 hours ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Stop putting virtanen on a random invisible trade block hes not going anywhere u wanna put people in the seats u dont trade a developing fan favourite 

It's a win-win for the Jake haters.  First they get him run out of town.  Then, if he fails on his new team it's "I told you blind homers all along he was a terrible pick and a bum."  If he succeeds, it's "Idiot Benning with a double-fail: wastes a pick drafting him, then sells low on him."

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

There's also some debate on whether it's too soon to be adding that caliber of player in Van's rebuild.

Yes, there is.

Yes, I also believe we would improve incrementally next year anyway; enter Quinn Hughes. Growth from Petey & Brock is also inevitable IMO. Juolevi at some point?

There is also an argument, mine :P, that we could stall the rebuild by taking too long. Boeser, hopefully Hughes, and Pettersson aside, we are often & usually a dump in team. At some point we have to progress to a puck possession team, one that lugs the puck.  Added to that argument is we finally have cap space. Granlund & Baertschi, for example, are skill players. Having them play chip and chase is a limiting factor in their productivity. Jake is better in open ice than confined spaces. Also limiting was the lack of puck moving capacity, creativity in the offensive end from the backend. But the D is resolving internally, to a point.

Having a true, blue blooded speedster up front as a target for Juolevi & Hughes to hit with breakout passes? Opens the middle for Pettersson coming out of zone coverage, as pivot, in secondary attack. Or Hughes to rush the puck. That neutral zone is currently clogged. Hard to navigate. A streaking winger who can handle the puck. Change directions as other forwards, or Hughes, join the rush after receiving a breakout pass? Look what Pastrnak & Marchand do for Bostons breakout! Lee, or Brock Nelson, will help us win some puck battles & play better defensively. But wont add much in terms of the game style we want to progress to. We need to be a breakout team!

My argument is you waste the talent, the development time of guys like Hughes & Pettersson. Waiting 2 & 1/2 years, 3 & 1/2 if we are arguing a posture for a 2020 mid level lotto pick? Means years without learning the up tempo game which is in their blood. Look what happened to Juolevi? Without Marner or Aho to unload stretch passes to. Suddenly he's a bust? Do we ever reach our true potential, if we don't give Elias & Quinn the game style that fits their talent?

Part of our 5 year plan was to clear cap space. We have given locker room experience, some toughness to our rookies in Beagle & Roussel. I'm not complaining. They give us match up capacity in our line up, improve our PK. But they don't scream hit me with a breakout pass. Nor would Nelson. And I don't want three lines like Beagles. If Nelson is what is on offer, I vote build via the draft. 

But if Panarin, smaller scale Zuccarello is available? Of course they have to want to be here. But I believe we are cultivating a team players want to come to! I've changed my mind, and would accept Duchesne. I want speeeeeeeeed, skill. No sense clogging the middle & slowing Petey down! Add Caufield at 10, Turcotte if he slides plus Duchesne or Panarin? Watch the excitement on Griffiths way build!

And no I don't agree with waiting.        

There is no debate for me!

Edited by Canuck Surfer
grammar
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes, there is.

Yes, I also believe we would improve incrementally next year anyway; enter Quinn Hughes. Growth from Petey & Brock is also inevitable IMO. Juolevi at some point?

There is also an argument, mine :P, that we could stall the rebuild by taking too long. Boeser, hopefully Hughes, and Pettersson aside, we are often & usually a dump in team. At some point we have to progress to a puck possession team, one that lugs the puck.  Added to that argument is we finally have cap space. Granlund & Baertschi, for example, are skill players. Having them play chip and chase is a limiting factor in their productivity. Jake is better in open ice than confined spaces. Also limiting was the lack of puck moving capacity, creativity in the offensive end from the backend. But the D is resolving internally, to a point.

Having a true, blue blooded speedster up front as a target for Juolevi & Hughes to hit with breakout passes? Opens the middle for Pettersson coming out of zone coverage, as pivot, in secondary attack. Or Hughes to rush the puck. That neutral zone is currently clogged. Hard to navigate. A streaking winger who can handle the puck. Change directions as other forwards, or Hughes, join the rush after receiving a breakout pass? Look what Pastrnak & Marchand do for Bostons breakout! Lee, or Brock Nelson, will help us win some puck battles & play better defensively. But wont add much in terms of the game style we want to progress to. We need to be a breakout team!

My argument is you waste the talent, the development time of guys like Hughes & Pettersson. Waiting 2 & 1/2 years, 3 & 1/2 if we are arguing a posture for a 2020 mid level lotto pick? Means years without learning the up tempo game which is in their blood. Look what happened to Juolevi? Without Marner or Aho to unload breakout passes to. Suddenly he's a bust? Do we ever reach our true potential, if we don't give Elias & Quinn the game style that fits their talent?

Part of our 5 year plan was to clear cap space. We have given locker room experience, some toughness to our rookies in Beagle & Roussel. I'm not complaining. They give us match up capacity in our line up, improve our PK. But they don't scream hit me with a breakout pass. Nor would Nelson. And I don't want three lines like Beagles. If Nelson is what is on offer, I vote build via the draft. 

But if Panarin, smaller scale Zuccarello is available? Of course they have to want to be here. But I believe we are cultivating a team players want to come to! I've changed my mind, and would accept Duchesne. I want speeeeeeeeed, skill. No sense clogging the middle & slowing Petey down! Add Caufield at 10, Turcotte if he slides plus Duchesne or Panarin? Watch the excitement on Griffiths way build!

And no I don't agree with waiting.        

There is no debate for me!

Don't really disagree with much/any of that.

Yes we should improve with the addition of Hughes (breakout machine) and eventually Juolevi.

Your thoughts are one of the reasons I've been promoting Dzingel who can also skate and has decent mitts (albeit not at Panarin's lofty level) ;). IMO we don't need to make titanic signings to see sizable (but more organic) improvements. And no, I don't think we need to wait 2.5-3.5 years to play that way or at the very least progress towards it. I'd wager we're likely getting a winger/forward prospect one would hope is only 1-2 years away at 10th OA this draft (some of the exact guys you noted ;) ). The aforementioned Hughes and Juolevi will do wonders for our breakouts/possession/feed those even more moderately skilled wingers you referenced (Baer, Virtanen, Granlund), helping improve the team (and team speed) overall.

I also don't imagine Benning will be leaving the D as status quo besides the addition of those two. I see trades coming (Hutton packaged for a righty? Tryamkin eventually returning? Tanev moved?)

It's going to be a VERY interesting summer ::D But I don't see us going the blockbuster route, sorry... The rest on the other hand, very much so!

Edited by aGENT

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Your thoughts are one of the reasons I've been promoting Dzingel

What has happened to him these play off's?

He's disappeared. Is he injured, or did he just get knocked down the pecking order by deadline trades.

Respectable mid scale target I admit.  

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What has happened to him these play off's?

He's disappeared. Is he injured, or did he just get knocked down the pecking order by deadline trades.

Respectable mid scale target I admit.  

He's been healthy scratched I believe. They do have a LOT of skilled F's.

I'm guessing it may have something to do with some of what you listed as well as some players don't mesh well with this guy:

hansentorts.gif

If I was Hansen, I might have have $%#@'ing decked him there. Amazing self restraint by the honey badger :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1