The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Canucks trade targets, candidates and Goldobin considering signing in the KHL.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Quinn might be "a" guy. But having more than one top-pairing defenseman should be the end goal. And we have nobody AT ALL within the organization who projects to be a top-pairing RHD.

The first time PK got traded, it was for a different top-pairing, perennial Norris finalist, in Shea Weber. Weber happened to be good friends with their franchise goalie, who they wanted to lock down to a long-term contract. And now with another expansion draft looming, Nashville needs to move one of their top-4. PK is slightly older than the other 3, carries the largest cap hit, and the young stud coming in (Fabbro) is also a RHD - so moving him makes the most sense for them. It's nothing to do with a character problem.

Myers is not a quality top pairing RHD. He might not even be a quality 2nd pairing RHD at this point. I'd rather save the cap and just give Rafferty or a cheaper UFA a chance, it won't be much of a difference IMO. But Subban would make a HUGE impact.

Subban is definitely a bright, shining bauble.  However, he’s soft.  He rarely the first guy in one puck battles.  He wants to be the guy to skate the puck, and be the star.  He’s absolutely fun to watch, and one of my favourites, but I don’t think he is worth the cost.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

This.

The question simply becomes does the acquisition cost make sense to us and correspondingly do we have assets we can (and want to) move that they would want for him. I struggle to see a trade fit personally but if Benning can somehow manage it without giving up key youth or 1st rounders, I'm all aboard the PK train.

Perhaps that's taking some cap back but I'd want little to do with Turris' $6x5 remaining. We could probably absorb Bonino's $4.1x2 comfortably but we don't really need Bonino's skill set and he certainly wouldn't do much for our team speed (and both would add to our glut of middle 6, middling forwards).

Beyond that, they need top 6 F's and the only ones we could probably spare would be Baer or Goldobin (and the latter is a stretch to call a top 6 player, the former can't seem to play more than 60-something games and has concussion issues. Not sure they move the needle for Nashville.

If it does happen, I suspect it will involve our 10th overall pick. And I do that trade all day, every day.

You can find wingers easily. Centers (which we're set at) and D-men (which we're most certainly not) are the key positions.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Subban is definitely a bright, shining bauble.  However, he’s soft.  He rarely the first guy in one puck battles.  He wants to be the guy to skate the puck, and be the star.  He’s absolutely fun to watch, and one of my favourites, but I don’t think he is worth the cost.  

It's obvious to me that you never watch Subban play. He's not pure offense - in fact, he's been one of the top shutdown D-men in the league since he got to Nashville, even when he had to drag around Alexei Emelin as a partner.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

If it does happen, I suspect it will involve our 10th overall pick. And I do that trade all day, every day.

You can find wingers easily. Centers (which we're set at) and D-men (which we're most certainly not) are the key positions.

If he was 27 like 3 years ago when we were first looking at PK, I'd certainly consider our 10th OA. At soon to be 30.... not so much. If we're moving 10th OA, I'd rather look at a younger guy like Trouba.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It's obvious to me that you never watch Subban play. He's not pure offense - in fact, he's been one of the top shutdown D-men in the league since he got to Nashville, even when he had to drag around Alexei Emelin as a partner.

I see you’re advocating for using our 10 OA to get PK.  If that’s the cost, then No.  I don’t think he’s a winner though, and he’s getting old.

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If he was 27 like 3 years ago when we were first looking at PK, I'd certainly consider our 10th OA. At soon to be 30.... not so much. If we're moving 10th OA, I'd rather look at a younger guy like Trouba.

Trouba does not want to play in Canada, so that's a non-starter.

He's also not nearly as good as Subban.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And if he was 27, he'd cost a lot more than 10th overall. Rumour at the time was #5 + prime Tanev.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

And if he was 27, he'd cost a lot more than 10th overall. Rumour at the time was #5 + prime Tanev.

Why not keep 10 OA and sign EK?  EK is a far better player than PK. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why not keep 10 OA and sign EK?  EK is a far better player than PK. 

I think they're pretty equivalent - edge to EK, but it's closer than Subban and Trouba.

If EK is willing to sign here, by all means, go for it. But I've heard he wants to go back to the East, as many players do.

That does come with risks though. For one, Karlsson's deal will be more than $9M per, and will extend into his mid/late 30's. At least PK's deal will be done before he regresses much.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Trouba does not want to play in Canada, so that's a non-starter.

He's also not nearly as good as Subban.

No, he not as good, but he is 5 years younger and that gap will likely close a lot in the next few years. He'd also likely be cheaper/longer cap certainty. I have no idea whether he's be willing to play here but if not Trouba, I'm sure we can find another D to trade for with our 10th OA (or just keep it and look elsewhere).

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Like I said, love to add him, don't see us as a fit for trade partners. I don't want us to give up 10th where we are in a rebuild and I don't think Nashville will want futures as they're 'win now'. They need top 6 F's, we have none to trade. 

Love the player but no fit.

Just now, D-Money said:

I think they're pretty equivalent. And by all means, if EK wants to sign here, by all means, go for it. But I've heard he wants to go back to the East, as many players do.

That does come with risks though. For one, Karlsson's deal will be more than $9M per, and will extend into his mid/late 30's. At least PK's deal will be done before he regresses much.

I guess JB would have to put a value on the cost difference between trading for PK, or signing EK, and whether that difference is worth the player (and his potential ceiling) we get at 10 OA.  

On 4/30/2019 at 9:58 AM, aGENT said:

So because he has value to another NHL team, we should move him? :blink: 

How about we just let him continue to have value for us instead?

I mean by all means if moving him actually improves the team by bringing in say a young top 4 RD, you certainly look in to it but I'm not moving him simply because he has value.

We have other pieces to move (Sutter, Tanev, Hutton etc). They may not equate to some huge block buster trade but I'm perfectly fine with continuing incremental improvements while we also continue to draft and develop.

There's no short cuts.

I didn't say we should trade him just because another team values him. But by no means is he untouchable.

I like JV, I hope he developes into a really good player for us but if the right deal comes up, see ya later Jake. We need another legit top 4 defenseman and a top 6 scoring winger. If JV helps get you one of those 2 pieces, you have to considerate it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I didn't say we should trade him just because another team values him. But by no means is he untouchable.

I like JV, I hope he developes into a really good player for us but if the right deal comes up, see ya later Jake. We need another legit top 4 defenseman and a top 6 scoring winger. If JV helps get you one of those 2 pieces, you have to considerate it.

Sure. But the likelihood we get a top 6 W'er or legit top 4 D for him is prettty slim. Why would the other team make that move?

Chia's not an NHL GM anymore, I'm not sure that deal's out there :lol: But Yeah, if Ottawa wants to send us Chabot for Virtanen, by all means!

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, coryberg said:

Ahhh you just didn't know any better. That is perfectly fine. Next time maybe say "I feel that Chris does not have great trade value". 

For instance if I said "the moon is made out of cheese" you would think I was a liar or just plain stupid. However if I said "I feel that the moon is made out of cheese" I wouldn't be lying, I'd just simply have no clue what I was talking about. 

Have you taken your meds?

• Wat 1

On 4/29/2019 at 10:40 AM, Provost said:

Folks should probably stop calling Virtanen a power forward.

Therr has been little about his NHL game that suggests that is his style of play.  He just doesn’t seem to have the mindset for it.

The coaches have been telling him for years to just drive to try net when he has the puck.  Instead he plays on the perimeter and circles behind the net.

Power forwards generally have the power part early  and then the offence develops.  

He was drafted for his ability to be a dominant power forward.  He wasn't a perimeter player in juniors and he's big enough and quick enough in the NHL.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 7:12 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

He was drafted for his ability to be a dominant power forward.  He wasn't a perimeter player in juniors and he's big enough and quick enough in the NHL.

ya problem is in the juniors he's a man amounst boys.. in the NHL not so much.. in the juniors he can basically do whatever he wants coz he's so much bigger and stronger than other physically.. in the NHL he's finding most of the players are as strong and big as he is so he doesn't want to get flatten driving to the net.. rough and tough is not part of his game. he's usually the first to skate out of the scrum post whistle. he seems to pick and choose when he wants to play the tough stle

On 5/3/2019 at 7:12 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

He wasn't a power forward in Juniors either. He dominated people with his skating and his shot, which for all we know hasn't been the same since his shoulder surgery. He was never considered a power forward, power winger maybe. Big body, capable of banging but doesn't drive the net or really do any of his damage around the net.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Cheers 1

On 5/1/2019 at 11:00 AM, aGENT said:

if you're getting Trouba, you might want to throw in Gaudette, and Juolevi and I don't think that even gets it done.

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

if you're getting Trouba, you might want to throw in Gaudette, and Juolevi and I don't think that even gets it done.

That I'd probably be okay with, IMO. Turns out though, there are more RHD available at the draft and free agency than we thought, which should chop Trouba's value down enough. If Cheveldayoff slow plays it, he'll likely be screwed in the off season.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

The Jets are in trouble trying to keep Trouba.  He clearly wants out, and is not going to stay there.  It's trade him now, and get at least some value, or he leaves later for free.  The longer he's with the Jets, the more his trade value drops.  I could see the Jets wanting a guy like Chris Tanev for Trouba.  No add either.  The Jets can fill the net, but they need to keep pucks out of their net.